KTRK / ARMY - 1670

This message is sent by MarkWA1ION@xxxxxxx
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Report from Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA
Receiver: JRC NRD-525; Antenna: two 37-m wires, DL-2 phasing unit
Dates: 1996  -=-  Times: EST (UTC-5)

1670  KTRK a.k.a A-R-M-Y, Fort Meade, MD (NSA-land) - I heard this
      first on the evening of 5 FEB with a strong signal equal to,
      or better than, adjacent WJDM (NJ) on 1660.  E-mail messages
      from Dave Yocis (via hard-core) and Al Merriman had tipped me
      off to this.  On 6 FEB from 0005 to 0052, I taped a section of
      the broadcast.  Two male announcers gave ID as "KTRK, K-Truck"
      and a pre-recorded announcement by a woman gave the mailing
      address as "ABS, 601 N. Fairfax St., Room 340, Alexandria,
      VA 22314".  A telephone number of 1-301-677-1377 was also
      given.  Hard rock from the '70s and early '80s was played:
      this included AC/DC, Rush, and Deep Purple.  The following
      evening (6 FEB, around 1900 EST), the station was identifying
      as A-R-M-Y and a black DJ (I think) was doing a show of dance
      and soul hits, mostly from the '80s.  I called their phone
      number and the operator on duty said that the "KTRK" call
      had to be dropped because a TV station in Arizona owned it.
      (That shows the degree of non-communication among various
      government agencies !  We live in the "age of information"
      but you wouldn't know it from this.)  I told them that the
      station had a great signal here 15 miles / 24 km outside
      Boston.  At the time I called, they had already gotten
      reports from all over the USA and Canada as well as one
      report from Sweden.  [Connelly-MA]

--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx