Re: AOR 7030 comentary

This message is sent by ratzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Christoph Ratzer)
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>This message is sent by "Zacharias Liangas" <zliangas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
>Only one question here
>
>Except JOhn Thorpe's and Gordon Bennett's  comments on 7030  is there any
>other
>comment on this receover ?
>Does anyone finally know the price of it ?
>73s sangat dan panas!

Hello Zacharias + all other hard-core-dx friends:

Found last week in rec.radio.shortwave from Mike Schuster and Guy Atkins:

From: schuster@xxxxxxxxx (Michael Schuster)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Subject: AR7030 comments
Date: 20 May 1996 17:22:14 -0400

Well, the much-hyped vaporware product of 1996 seems to be trickling out.
Jonathan (Javiation UK) says he's getting a slow but steady stream of
production units, and I received serial #90 from him this morning.
The unit comes with a rmeote, full manual, and a brick-style regulated
15 VDC power supply for US wall current.

Some random first impressions after 3 hours' playing during daylight
hours.

One is first struck by the size. If you stack an HF-150 sideways on top of
the AR7030, you can see that it is only about 50% larger than the Lowe.
Almost a portatop. Fit and finish is, as the reviewers have said, very
impressive. Solid alumiminum frame with anodized or black hammertone paint
throughout. Bright 2-line LCD alphanumeric display (with a little ghosting
of the top line onto the bottom at times). Nice, solid tuning knob which
spins freely.

Excellent audio. Even the built-in speaker is acceptable in a pinch, if
you turn up the bass. I never thought I'd find a receiver with a better
sync detector than the HF-150 ... until now. Watching it home on a signal
in "auto" mode is a sight to behold. Geez, it makes the R8a's sync look
like a toy.

Not a trace of overloading. No birdies or intermod products detected yet;
but I have not yet used it at night when the signals are strong. The selection
of stock filters, as Magne points out, have a hole in the 4-5 MHz area.
After the SSB filter (#1), my #2 measures at 5.2 MHz which is a little
wide. However, the pass band shift does allow for considerable leeway in
getting around an interfering station on one side or the other.

Also like the reviewers said, the remote control is iffy - even with IR
detectors on both front AND back of the radio. I'm hesitant to admit it,
but a confirmatory beep would be nice. The menus take a good hour or two
to get used to, but it does become semi-intuitive after a while. I was
VERY intimidated at first, and that says a lot. The ability to choose what
items and control functions are displayed could become highly addictive.

A coarse 1 or 5 KHz up/down button (like the R8/a) would be nice on the
front panel too, though the remote control has such a function.  The
manual does the job, I guess, but it needs an index and could be a lot
clearer in many sections. AOR ought to contract out to Jonathan to
re-write it. :-)

--
Mike Schuster       |        schuster@xxxxxxxxx | 70346.1745@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
------------------- | schuster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | schuster@xxxxxxxxxx