New US HAM band on 60 meters!?!

This is a message from "Jens Sondergaard" <sndgaard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The following article is taken from a newsletter
posted to the rec.radio.info newsgroup on USENET.

It mentions a possibility of opening up for US
HAM radio communication on the 60 meter band on
frequencies between 4945 to 4995 kHz.

What do you think about it? Personaly I'm against it,
as it surely will interfere with broadcasts originating
from and aimed at the public in countries that are
neighbours to USA.

Secondly, do anyone realy belive that 40 kHz is
enough space and how long time will go before Radio
Amateur People in Europe will aquire the same rights?

Therefore NO to US Ham radio on 60 meters!!!

>Date: Wed, 25 Dec 96 08:43:35 -0700
>Subject: Amateur Radio Newsline #1010 - 12/20/96

[qoute from the newsletter:]

>         NTIA SAYS "MAYBE" TO NEW HF BANDS
>   The possibility of expanded high frequency
>Amateur Radio allocations after the turn of the
>century is included in a December 13th document
>released by the National Telecommunications and
>Information Administration.  Titled High Frequency
>Spectrum Planning Options by the N.T.I.A., the
>upgraded allocations that could be opened to
>Amateur Radio at a later date.  Included is a new
>ham radio band from 4.945 to 4.995 MHZ.
>
>   Changes or additions to existing bands include
>making 3.5 to 3.8 MHZ an exclusive worldwide
>Amateur Radio allocation, rearranging 40 meters to
>cover 6.9 to 7.2 MHZ, expanded worldwide primary
>allocations at 10.1 to 10.35 and 14.000 to 14.400
>MHZ.  Also included are expanded bands at 18.068 to
>18.318, 24.74 to 24,89, and 28 to 30 MHZ.
>
>   But this will not be a free ride.  This is
>because some of the expansions proposed are
>mutually exclusive for amateurs and broadcasters.
>This means that there is the probability that the
>two services will have to share on a non-interfering
>basis on 17, 20 and 30 meters.
>
>   If you want to read the report, take your
>computer to:
>
>              www.ntia.doc.gov
>
>and use the search engine to find it. (Condensed
>from NTIA release)

---
-
Jens Sondergaard - Randers, DENMARK.
<mailto:sndgaard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

* Receivers used: Collins 51J-4 and JRC NRD-72.
* Antenna used:   30 m. wire

* Member of DSWCI/the Danish Shortwave Club International.