AR 7030 Preselector

This is a message from Don Lodge <101521.2167@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear friends,

I have a home-made passive pre-selector (basically just a good tuned circuit)
which I use with my AR7030. I can switch it in and out of circuit - so I can
easily see if it is helpful.

It isn't.  I use it only to convince myself I am not picking up ghost signals
when I find an unknown broadcast.  Nor does it reduce noise through
intermodulation products.

No, a preselector is not necessary with the 7030 in my opinion.
I first made it when I had an Yaesu FRG 8800.  Then it was vital - it turned
that receiver into something useable.  Without it the 60 mb was full of 49 mb
stations.

As a matter of interest, the preselector does not noticeably improve my Drake
R8E  (a receiver which I still feel was much under-rated in Europe) and still
has a beautiful "tube-sounding" audio.

I hope these thoughts are not too contraversial.  :-)

7030's

Don Phillips