THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME THREE # 3

This is a message from anderson sj <kiwisagb@xxxxxxxxxx>

~~~~~~~*THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY*~~~~~~~

Phone: ++64-6-835-9186                P O Box 3103
Fax  :   ++64-6-835-4186              Onekawa
email:   kiwisagb@xxxxxxxxxx          Napier
                                      New Zealand
Editor : Graham J Barclay

WWW page site for THE KIWI RADIO STORY 1977 - 1996
                http://www-pp.hogia.net/jonny/fr/kiwi.html

This page is kindly sponsored by : SRS NEWS - Sweden
               http://www-pp.hogia.net/jonny/links.html
or	   http://www-pp.hogia.net/jonny/index.html
for other info etc on SRS-News - Sweden.

			VOLUME THREE - NUMBER THREE

March 23. 1997

Welcome everyone to this weeks edition of the weekly.
It seems to be a bumper edition, and we hope that you will enjoy reading
it.
We are in the proccess of updating our mailing lists as we need to
organise it better. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE ON IT, PLEASE LET US KNOW,
AND YOUR NAME WILL BE REMOVED.

		*********************************

Again KIWI RADIO was on air Sat 22nd from 10.27 till 12.30 utc with test
programming, including relay previews of both South American Free Radio
stations - "RADIO PIRANA INT" and "RADIO COCHIGUAZ INT".
These late night (NZ Time) tests have been for correction to the
transmitter, and also for Asian Audiences.
			++++++++++++++++++

The lineup for todays ( March 23rd, 1997) broadcast is as follows:
on 7475 khz USB from 07.15 utc.

Three Relays are to be aired, and they are all NEW stations to be aired
via KIWI RADIO - so we hope that you will tune in to them.
The relays are:

Relay # 1:	RADIO PIRANA INTERNATIONAL from Sth America.
		( DO-NOT put station name on envelope please)
		Contact to :	Seniores
				Casilla 2571
				1000-Buenos Aires
				Argentina

Relay # 2:	KFM - UK ( King Fisher Ministries - UK )
		Contact To: 	C/- P O Box 3103
				Onekawa
				Napier
				New Zealand

Relay # 3:	RADIO COCHIGUAZ INTERNATIONAL
		from Sth America. ( This programme is in Spainish)
		(DO-NOT put station name on envelope Please)
		Contact to:	Seniores
				Casilla 2571
				1000-Buenos Aires
				Argentina

We would like to remind Dxer's that 2 IRC's are appreciatted to cover
postage costs etc.

			****************************

The Italian DX Magazine "RADIORAMA" advises us of their WWW site at

			*****************************

Some brief items C/- RadioRama-Pirate News (March nr.3)

The German Free Radio station "RADIO LAGUNA INT" is now on line at
Email:	Lagunasw@xxxxxxx
and
The Dutch Free Radio operators "THE FARMERS FROM HOLLAND"
were once again raided recently.

			*****************************

Acouple of issues ago we mentioned about Low-powered FM broadcasts here
in New Zealand.
After making intensive enquiries to the New Zealand Ministry of Commerce
- Radio Frequency Service, both in Wellington and Locally in Napier, the
response was the Same:
ENG 3/2/RFS29 - AJD

Dear Mr Barclay

Thankyou for your letter of 28 February regarding the use of low-powered
radio transmitters in the frequency bands 88 - 89 MHz and 100 - 101 MHz.

Your understanding of the situation is basically correct, and there are
a number of approved devices available commercially that have been
granted an exemption from licensing. These transmitters may be used with
a maximum radiated power of 300mW eirp in the frequency ranges 88.2 MHz
to 8.8 MHz, and 100.2 MHz to 100.8 MHz. They are NOT permitted to cause
interferance to any licensed service and must tolerate any interferance
caused to them

There are NO restrictions on the installation and operation of these
devices, other than those stated above. As a user you may install one
without notifying the Ministry...
Sincerely...

So yes we ARE looking into this for FM - a series of relay stations??
who knows.

		****************************

>From Radio Free London Comes:

>>Hello Everyone,

We had a very good reaction to the past weekend's broadcasts
with 14 phone calls to the station, most of which were from
listeners that we have never heard from before. This is also good
news as we use a cellular telephone and calls to us are not
always cheap. Thanks to everyone who called in. We also had
4 Emails from new listeners who have now been added to our
address book.

Radio Free London was heard again in America with a SIO 222
on 6400, proving that low power can make it across "The Pond"

Our test on 5805 was also a great success with good signal's
heard across the UK and Europe, the power used for this test
was 15 watts. It would be nice to see other stations make use of
this part of the band and move away from the now overcrowded
48m/b only for the fact that coverage seemed very good, although
most of the listeners would find it hard for them to tune away from
48m, this is of course very narrow minded but a fact !  I know other
stations have tested there in the past, it's a pity they didn't stick
with it. Remember most people thought WNKR and Radiofax were
mad when they started broadcasting on 76m, now it is Europe's
second pirate band and well used. We are going to try and add
5805 to our coming Easter weekend broadcast if we can get around
to doing it in time.

Enquires about our relay service is now getting out of hand, as most
of the former outlets in Holland and Germany have been taken off the
air with raids and we are the only station offering a nonstop relay of
24 hours, of which we charge a price for.  This is of course very good
for the RFL bank balance but it is becoming a major headache.  We
could do two things, get super-greedy and put the price up or say
enough is enough and say NO..........I think the latter is probable and
only time will tell.

We are on air next all over the Easter weekend on both of our
frequencies for 96 hours nonstop, starting on Thursday evening
March 27th.

RFL Leading to way in Europe with longer broadcasting hours and
keeping the true spirit of "Free Radio" alive in 1997.

A Brief History
===========

RADIO FREE LONDON was originally established in August 1968
by former "Radio Caroline" presenters who put the station on the air
on the first anniversary of the British MOA, the act which outlawed
the UK based Offshore Radio station's of the 60's. After only a few
month's and a listenership of over 100,000 people the station fell
apart and disappeared from the capital's airwaves in 1969.  It did
return for a one off broadcast on FM, only hours before the launch of
the local BBC station "Radio London" but was not heard on a regular
bases again until March 17th 1973, when it started weekly
transmissions every Saturday evening with original 60's
member Mark Ashton and regular pirate broadcaster from that period,
Kenny Myres.

The heyday of RFL was between 1978-1983 when it broadcast
a rock format to London every Sunday from the high rise tower
blocks of down town South London with a very slow reel-to-reel
machine carrying the 14+  hours of programming on FM.

The station came and went throughout the 80's and early 90's
and was revived on a regular bases again in April 94 with a twice
weekly broadcast of three hours on Wednesday and Sunday evenings
on 99.1 FM with old timers Kenny and Mark and well known voices of the
shortwave scene Jodie (ex Radiofax), Terry Phillips and Andy Walker plus
new boy Eric May, but due to lack of response from the listeners the FM
service was closed and a move to SW was made. From the humble start
of the station on SW and only four hours of broadcasting using a car
battery,
we have now had mains power at our site for a year now and since then we
have broadcast a 24 hour output twice a month. Former "Radio Jackie"
site
member and presenter Tony Randall has joined us after a 20 year break
from free radio and can now be heard on RFL every month.

in contact and has recently printed our large red car stickers. He has
promised
to do some programs in the future but we are not holding our breath ;>)

RFL can be heard every 1st and 3rd Sunday in the month on 3945 and
6400kHz in parallel.

RADIO FREE LONDON  1968 - 1997
"Still operating Illegally, unlicensed and free" <<

		**************************************

message received by CLCG :
New show of English-language px "CLCG Internationational" (Radio
CLCG) is scheduled to go on air via relay on 1st weekend after
Easter as follows : April 5 on 76 m between approx. 23.00 and
00.00 UTC to be repeated on Sunday April 6 on 48 m between approx.
09.00 and 10.00 UTC.

		**************************************

The SRS-WWW site is updated, please visit and tell me what you think
about it.

Have a nice week/
                 / Jonny @ SRS

		**************************************

R. Cochiguaz could not make it to the airwaves before 0110 UTC (March
15th, 1997) due to several reasons! First a rain storm made it
impossible for personel to reach the TX site in time, secondly... the
transmitter don't wanted to work!! It took a time before they could
manage it to work, but finally it did and the program was aired until
the transmitter was switched off at 1001 UTC

		************************************
		RADIO MARABU - GERMANY.

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE 20th OF MARCH

Radio Marabu will be on the air again via the transmitter of the IRRS at
Milan
on Sunday the 30th of March from 20.00 HOURS UTC UP TO 21.00 HOURS UTC.

On the air will be another edition of the famous "Gittare X Radioshow"
presented
by Marcel Fischer. Also a competition will be included at the programme.

So check out the frequency of 3985 kHz on Sunday the 30th at 20.00 hours
UTC.

Radio Marabu - P.O.Box 1166 - D-49187 Belm -Germany
Tel.: 05406/899484, Fax: 05406/899485, E-mail: radiomarabu@xxxxxxxxxxx

>>PRESS RELEASE FROM THE 20th OF MARCH<<

CORRECTION
===========

Radio Marabu will be on the air again via the transmitter of the IRRS at
Milan
on Sunday the 30th of March from 19.00 HOURS UTC UP TO 20.00 HOURS UTC.

On the air will be another edition of the famous "Gittare X Radioshow"
presented
by Marcel Fischer. Also a competition will be included at the programme.

So check out the frequency of 3985 kHz on Sunday the 30th at 19.00 hours
UTC.

Radio Marabu - P.O.Box 1166 - D-49187 Belm -Germany
Tel.: 05406/899484, Fax: 05406/899485, E-mail: radiomarabu@xxxxxxxxxxx

			*******************************
"Vogelfreies Radio - Update 96" is out now. The 12 page supplement to
the book continues the story of shortwave pirate radio from Germany and
Switzerland. It includes a summary of what happened in the free radio
scene last year. Plus an exclusive interview with Dr. Tim about his
raid, the history of Radio RTN, Sunshine Radio Classic Rock and Radio
Concorde.
The Update costs 2 DM in stamps, one dollar or one IRC (in Europe).
"Vogelfreies Radio", the book including updates, is now available at
reduced price, DM 15(in Germany) or 15 UD dollars (in Europe)(cash, no
cheques).
 Remember, both publications are in the German language! All orders to
Bjoern Quaeck, P.O.Box 103113, 44031 Dortmund, Germany. Watch out for
the "Vogelfreies Radio" internet pages, soon to appear as part of the
SRS website.

(Curtesy of Rock-it Radio - USA )

			*************************************

1997 M STREET RADIO DIRECTORY

The IRCA Bookstore is proud to announce that the 'M Street Corporation'
has agreed to offer a discount on their 1997 'M Street Radio Directory'
to NewsFlash members ordering through the IRCA Bookstore  The Directory
contains a complete listing of over 15,000 radio stations (AM/FM,
US/Canada) including the following information:  facilities, ownership,
formats, LMAs, station personnel, phone numbers (and FAX), addresses,
ratings, as well as information on almost 400 radio markets in the US
and Canada.  Stations are listed by location (complete info), frequency
(frequency, call, location, power and pattern) and call (call,
frequency, location) and market (frequency, call, location, rating,
format).  It also includes a former call reference (old call, location
and current call).  Major network information (addresses/phone
numbers/etc) and several interesting radio articles are included as
well.

The price to US and Canadian NewsFlash members ordering through the IRCA
Bookstore is $44.95 post paid (UPS address required).  The book is
expected to be out by the end of May (usual disclaimer on date 'cause we
can't be sure!).  Retail will be 55.95.

Europe - add $5.00 for surface, $19.20 for airmail delivery.
Australia/New Zealand - add $5.00 for surface, $27.25 for airmail
delivery.

IRCA Bookstore, 9705 Mary NW, Seattle WA  98117-2334
   Please make checks payable to:  Phil Bytheway.

Hi!

A new station from UK will be testing this Sunday the 23rd!!

DATA:
        Name:           UKGM