KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME THREE # 4

This is a message from anderson sj <kiwisagb@xxxxxxxxxx>

~~~~~~~*THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY*~~~~~~~

Phone: ++64-6-835-9186                P O Box 3103
Fax  :   ++64-6-835-4186              Onekawa
email:   kiwisagb@xxxxxxxxxx          Napier
                                      New Zealand
Editor : Graham J Barclay

WWW page site for THE KIWI RADIO STORY 1977 - 1996
                http://www-pp.hogia.net/jonny/fr/kiwi.html

This page is kindly sponsored by : SRS NEWS - Sweden
               http://www-pp.hogia.net/jonny/links.html
or	    http://www-pp.hogia.net/jonny/index.html
for other info etc on SRS-News - Sweden.

			VOLUME THREE - NUMBER FOUR
March 30 1997

Hello from New Zealand.

We have now "ironed out" the problems with our WWW site page.It is all
working now, and has been improved on immensly with other pages being
added to the main index at:
Have a look, as your comments are important to us.
If you want a link from our page to your's please let us know what your
URL is and we will add it to our index list.- There are a few there
already.

There will not be any b/casts next week from KIWI RADIO.

We carried out a "special" test at 11.45 - 12.55 hrs UTC  ( Sat 29/3/97
UTC) on 7475 khz USB directed to Asia with repeats of Radio Pirana Int,
and Radio Cochiguaz from South America.- We will see what results we
get.Unfortuently we were not heard as far away as Sri lanka / India -
perhaps due to the fact that it is only 6.00PM local time there, when it
is 1.00AM here. We will try to find a "clear" frequency for more tests
to India etc from about 15.00 hrs Utc ( 3 am here).

Todays ( Sun 30/3/97 UTC ) broadcast at 07.15 UTC >>> on 7475 khz USB
will feature a repeat of the two South American Free Radio stations:

			RADIO PIRANA INTERNATIONAL
and			RADIO COCHIGUAZ INTERNATIONAL

Their Mailing address is:	 Senores
			   	 Casilla 2571
			   	1000-Buenos Aires
			   	Argentina
(PLEASE DO -NOT  put the Station name on the envolope.)

and we will be relaying The New Zealand Female Operator :
				RADIO SUE.

Their Mailing address is:	C/- P O Box 3103
				ONEKAWA
				NAPIER
				NEW ZEALAND

			**********************************

Book news & ad:
"Pirate R. Operations" is now available. It's 376 pages of info about
how
pirates put a station together & successfully broadcast. It's mostly
intended for pirate listeners, & beginning & intermediate pirates in the
US, but if you're an old pirate or from outside of the US, it should
still be an interesting read. Cost is $18 + $2 shipping in US (add $1.20
sales tax for Pennsylvania residents only). (list price is $19.95)
        I've finally got more copies of "Pirate Radio: The Incredible
Saga
of America's Illegal, Underground Broadcasters." This book is 340 pages
of info about pirate r., the history, current stations, how to hear
pirates,
etc. It has an audio CD with about 18 min of audio clips. Cost is $25 +
$2 shipping in the US (add $1.62 sales tax for Pennsylvania residents
only).(list price is $29.95)
        If you live outside the US & wanna buy a book, drop me an e-mail
and I'll check how much it will cost to mail.
        Last, I've finished the 1997 Pirate Radio Directory. Tiare said
it
should be out in late March.
        If you want to buy either of these books, send a check or mo
(payable to Cabinet Communications) to:

Cabinet Communications
PO Box 642
Mont Alto, PA 17237
United States of America.

++++++++++
	  REVIEW OF		 "PIRATE RADIO OPERATIONS"
				By Andrew Yoder & Earl T Gray
				1997 Loompanics Unlimited - USA
				ISBN  1-55950-151-0

The Book is certainly a good size at 366 pages and is of a comfortable
hold.
My initial impression is that the "Plain" cover could have been much
better thought out, and better use of graphics made, instead of the
"badly" designed "Comic strip" type cover. My rating on the cover is
1/5.
THE COVER DOES NOT ATTRACT IMMEDIATE ATTENTION to say the least.
The print type and layout are very clear and concise. It is easy to
understand and remember.
The use of graphics, both photographs and drawn illustrations are to the
point and very easy to understand.(Even an 8 year old could build an
effective HF antenna from the details given.)
The Chapters are well positioned in sequence of importance.
One MAJOR fault,( although it is almost impossible to keep these details
up to date ) is that some addresses and Email contacts ( including the
Author's ) have now become out-dated.
It was a great idea to have four blank pages at the rear of the book to
allow notes to be made by the reader - a very worthwhile addition.
The information in the book is most definetly correct, and is very
detailed in it's content. An incentive for the reader to keep reading.
Chapter Four on Public Relations and Chapter Eleven on Safety Issues are
a must for any Radio person. It has some very "commonsense" details that
most people tend to overlook, let alone remember.
OVERALL COMMENT:
Cover:		1 / 5
Layout:	4 / 5
Content:	5 / 5
Overall		4.5 / 5
Final Comment:
A "MUST" for any person interested in Radio / Radio operations.
I feelt that after getting into Chapter Two - I "HAD TO" keep reading.
The contents will always leave you with the sense "to Finish" the book!!
Very good value at US$19.95 plus P&P.
It would be very difficult to match this book "Pirate Radio Operations"
with any other book in a similar field of interest.
IF you can "ignore" the cover and get "into" the book, you won't leave
it alone.
Excellent value with excellent information. A book NOT to be left alone,
or ignored. It raises many questions to the reader like : is this how
they do it ??, why do they do it??, and can I do it ??. The questions
keep coming.
If you can get a copy DO SO. We would recommend this book to all
readers.
This is a "handbook" to starting up and operating a Radio Station.
Star Rating: **** ½

This Editoral Comment is the opinion of Graham J Barclay, editor of the
KIWI RADIO WEEKLY and should not be taken as the opinion of any other
reader.

			************************************

Martins forwarding Service (MfS)
For E-mail publications regarding Free Radio

SRS News from Sweden   (logs Europe + some America)
KIWI News from New Zealand (World wide background info)
Pirate Pages from the USA (logs America + some Europe)

These E-mail publications are printed out from the Internet
(ink-jet-printer) and mailed to those, who don't have an E-mail account.
Beside the forwarding fee to me there is no other subricption or
something like that to pay for you. If you want to submit free radio
news to these (or other) E-mail newsletters, I can do it for you free of
charge.

Prices are in DM and are valid for Germany and whole
Europe, European Prices include air mail delivery

Prices can be paid in DM, US$, SEK, hfl, brit. pounds or IRCs (use notes
or stamps) You can pre-pay as much issues as you want !

SRS alone       (weekly 1 sheet)

weekly  : 1,15 per delivery
two weekly      : 1,20 per delivery
tree weekly     : 1,25 per delivery
four weekly     : 2,30 per delivery

KIWI alone      (weekly 2 sheets)

weekly  : 1,20 per delivery
two weekly      : 2,30 per delivery
tree weekly     : 2,40 per delivery
four weekly     : 2,50 per delivery

PiPa alone      (bi-weekly 3 sheets)

two weekly      : 1,25 per delivery
four weekly     : 2,40 per delivery
SRS and KIWI    (weekly 3 sheets)

weekly  : 1,25 per delivery
two weekly      : 2,40 per delivery
tree weekly     : 2,55 per delivery
four weekly     : 3,80 per delivery
SRS and PiPa    (bi-weekly 5 sheets)

two weekly      : 2,35 per delivery
four weekly     : 3,60 per delivery

one week only srs, next week SRS+PiPa
                : 2,45 fow two weeks
SRS and KIWI and PiPa (bi-w 9 sheets)

two weekly      : 2,55 per delivery
four weekly     : 4,00 per delivery

Sample copies of last two weeks issues
of all 3 newsletters for 2 DM / 1 IRC / 1 US$

My address is Martin Schoech
                Geusaer Strasse 88-5-102
                06217 Merseburg
                Germany

E-mail : schoechi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

			***********************************

                         RADIO MARABU AT APRIL 1997

Radio Marabu will be on the air again with two long time 24 hours
transmissions at April.
>From Friday April the 4th starting at 20.00 hours UTC until Saturday the 5th of April at 20.00 hours UTC and from Saturday April the 12th at 20.00 hours UTC until Sunday the 13th of April at 20.00 hours UTC RADIO MARABU will be on the air on 6275 kHz with the following programme line-up:

1st hour:  "Tapedepartment Radioshow" hosted by Lord Litter and
the    		     latest of cassette and small indpendent label releases.
2nd hour:  "No Pigeonholes Radioshow" with famous Don Campau
3rd + 4th hour: "Misanthropy 511 radioshow" with David
Warmbier.    		    Noises, ritual and more... Including also a live mix.

All programmes are presented at Englisch and are more experimental music
orientated.
The four hour programmes are repeated on four hours time slots.

Please spread this information further to your contacts

RADIO MARABU - P.O.Box 1166 - 49187 Belm - Germany
Tel.: 05406/899484 Fax: 05406/899485
ULR: http://www.dma.be/p/amphion/sztuka/marabu.htm

			************************************

RADIO FREE LONDON
3945 and 6400 (and maybe 5805)

Here we go again with another RFL non-stop
broadcast right across the Easter weekend.
This time we've left it to the last minute
as we are not as organized as we were at
Xmas. We are trying to get on the 5805 service
to run in parallel with 3945 and 6400 and at the
time of writing this mailout I don't know if we've
pulled it off yet !

Friday 28th Line-up

Andy Walker
(Listeners letters, email's and phone calls
and loads of outrageous talk)
Kenny Myres
(Classic rock and Heavy metal)
Jodie
(The latest album rock releases)
Adrian Cooke
(More surfing around the Net to look
at the best pirate web sites)

The phone line will be open all over the weekend (except of
course when we are sleeping) Call us on 0378 355 174 and
calls only cost 12p per minute from within the UK.

RADIO FREE LONDON  UPDATE - 27/3/97

After a load of problems at the site this evening
we have made it on the air but not on 3945 as
the transmitter has once again gone "pop" !

5805 and 6400 are on air at the moment
although the mod on 6.4 has too much bass
which we can't do anything about at the moment
as we are using a link and this is the
cause of the trouble.

Hopefully the 3.9 rig will be repaired tomorrow but
if not, there is a standby unit we can use if we
go and collect it. If we can't sort old the mod trouble
on 6400 we will pull the plug on 5805 and the link
and stick to 48m and 76m as usual.

And to Top it all it's "Bloody Raining"
		*************************************

Here are a few special programs which WRMI will broadcast during the
month of April 1997.  All days and times are UTC, and all programs will
be broadcast on 9,955 kHz.

"SOUTHERN MUSIC RADIO" from New Zealand will be broadcast April 12 at
1800-1900 UTC.

"RADIO LA COLIFATA," a Spanish-language station run by residents of a
neuro-psychiatric hospital in Buenos Aires, Argentina, will air its
first-ever shortwave program via WRMI on April 18 at 0230-0300 UTC.  The
program will include English-language announcements.

"RADIO PIRANA INTERNACIONAL" and "RADIO COCHIGUAZ," two South American
pirate stations, will relay special programs via WRMI on the evening of
April 19.  "Radio Pirana Internacional" will air from 2330-0000 UTC
APRIL 19, and "Radio Cochiguaz" will air during the following half-hour
from 0000-0030 UTC (April 20).

"KIWI RADIO" from New Zealand, containing indigenous music from that
country, will be relayed by WRMI on April 26 at 0900-0930 UTC.

"RADIO SPARKS" from Switzerland will present a musical program via WRMI
on April 26 at 1800-1900 UTC.

All of the above-mentioned programs will issue special QSL cards for
reception reports on these transmissions via WRMI.  Reports may be sent
to the addresses mentioned on the air during the programs, or they may
be sent to WRMI, P.O. Box 526852, Miami, Florida 33152 USA.  They may
also be sent via E-mail to:  wrmi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's it for another week.
Until next week, Good DXing
73's