Frontline Soldier Radio 2625 etc.

This is a message from "Sonny M. Ashimori" <sonny@xxxxxxxxxxx>

NORTH KOREA

The North Korean station I reported here recently should now be called
FRONTLINE SOLDIER RADIO (Korean "Chonyon Chobyundurul wihan Bangsong,"
literally Radio for Soldiers at the Frontline). I would like to thank Hans
Johnson and Dave Kenny (BBC-M) for their prompt help, accurate info and
suggestion. A native Korean friend also supported this name.

All the 3 frequencies are back, but the activity remains irregular and
unpredictable. 2625, noted Apr 17 for the first time in years, was off
again Apr 18-22, then back on Apr 23. 3025 seems to be more regular, but it
was off Apr 22-23. 1615v used to be on every night, but it was off Apr
18-23. All transmissions start 1400 and last until dawn local time (19 or
20 UTC).

The reason may be as simple as the country's power shortage. Many Radio
Pyongyang frequencies and transmissions have been canceled lately. Audio
quality has noticeably deteriorated, and frequencies carrying mixed audios
of different programs go unchecked for days. Too busy jamming Radio Free
Asia?

Sonny Ashimori

Sonny M. Ashimori <sonny@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Yaesu FRG-7700 + 40m Dipole  (QTH 43°34'E/135°20'N)