LOG: Re: Radio Free Asia

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM,
INTERNET, LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
sonny@xxxxxxxxxxx 6/21/97 5:51 AM

>On 6/21/97, Bill Whitacre wrote:
>>Your RFA log on 5855, 1530-1630ut is not a test.  It's supposed to be
>>'normal' RFA programming relayed by a country sandwiched between Russia
>>and China.
>>
>>Often, when the feed fails, this 'test tape' is played by RFA's host
>>relays.
>
>Thanks, Bill, but I have to clarify a few things.
>
>The "test" I reported yesterday followed the normal RFA Korean programing,
>which was heard 1530-1600 and 1600-1630 UTC as usual. The "test" was from
>1630 to 1651. I don't think the feed failed in any way yesterday. RFA
>usually just signs off at 1630. Instead, it aired the endless announcements
>for 21 minutes on this frequency alone.

Hmmm...well then in that case it was either a screw-up OR a test from
another new RFA host country [whose capital begins with a "T" and is also
one of the United States].  I'll have to ask Dan Ferguson who tries very
hard to keep track of the RFA schedule.

>I understand that this frequency is from Russia. Your mention of the
>country sandwitched between Russia and China* is very interesting. What
>exactly do you know about how this transmission is relayed via satellite,
>then transmitted from Russia? I'm just curious.

I think most/all RFA feeds are now 'direct.'

>*) Is that Costa Rica? Or maybe North Dakota.

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a sense of humor!

bw