EQUIPMENT: MFJ Phasing Unit initial comments

EQUIPMENT: MFJ Phasing Unit initial comments

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
Initial Review of MFJ-1026 Phasing Unit
Mark Connelly, WA1ION - 20 JUL 1997

I've just received a new MFJ "Deluxe Noise Cancelling Signal Enhancer",
model number MFJ-1026.  It offers the ability to null interference,
whether from electrical noise sources or actual transmitters.  This is
accomplished by creating a 180 degree phase shift between two antennas
that are presenting equal-amplitude "pest" signals that cover desired
DX.  This is, of course, the same principle used in the many "homebrew"
/ "d-i-y" units out there (and also other commercial boxes such as JPS
ANC-4 and SEM QRM Eliminator).

In many cases, the unit could produce good nulls on steady groundwave
broadcast signals and electrical noises.  The first thing I noticed,
though, was very high insertion loss on the lower half of the medium
wave band.  Loss measured 5 dB or less above 1600 kHz, about 10 dB at
1300 kHz, 20 dB at 1000 kHz, 25 dB at 800 kHz, and a whopping (and
totally unacceptable !) 30 dB at 600 kHz.  The MFJ advertisement states
"Works on all modes, VLF to VHF".  Strong local beacons "LQ" on 382 kHz
(Lynn, MA) and "LW" - 402 (Andover, MA) are over S9 straight off the
antenna, but were barely audible with the MFJ-1026 in line.  We're
talking about a loss in the 50 dB range on LF/VLF.

A quick examination of the circuit revealed the problem: Components
L4/C8/L3/R26 on the main antenna input and L5/C16/L6/R27 on the
auxiliary antenna input create a substantial amount of attenuation on
frequencies much below 2 MHz.  Throwing warranty coverage to the wind,
I attacked the circuit board with the diagonal cutters and removed L5,
L6, R27, L4, L3, and R26.  What a difference !  Now there's plenty of
signal across the entire spectrum from 150 kHz to 30 MHz.

Two other obstacles were encountered: The phase adjustment range has
SLIGHTLY LESS than 180 degree coverage.  Swapping the two antennas
makes this a non-issue because enough "lag" can be produced in cases
where enough "lead" can't be (and vice versa).  I put a DPDT "swap
switch" in to allow the auxiliary antenna to go to the main path and
the main antenna to go through the auxiliary chain.  Either the "as
built" or reversed-inputs configuration can now be selected and nulls
can be obtained in almost every circumstance.  Besides the phase
adjustment range problem, there's the not surprising problem of
active-broadband-circuit overload caused by 3-mile / 5 km distant
WRKO-680 (50 kW).  The simply remedies here are to use tuned inputs
such as loops or L-C tuned whips/wires - or, in cases of untuned wire
inputs, to just use less gain (as selected by the two 250-ohm input
level pots).  Passive L-C and passive delay-line phasing units
typically do not have overload / intermodulation product problems, even
with fire-breathing WRKO down the street.

Over all, I would say that the MFJ-1026 ... WITH THE ABOVE
MODIFICATIONS ... is a very capable phasing unit.  I feel that it is
clearly superior to the ANC-4.

A formal review / article will be issued in a month or so, after I give
the unit a serious beach-DXpedition "shake-down cruise".