[HCDX]: Doug DeMaw 1926-1997

This hobby has lost another great man. I'm sad to have to report that MT
columnist Doug DeMaw passed awaySunday evening. He lost his battle with
leukemia. Doug influenced not only the scanner/shorwave hobby but the
amateru radio hobby as well. He was a true giant in this field. As with the
loss of Arthur Cushen last week, I have lost another mentor and friend. Our
sympathies go out to Doug's wife Jean and his son Dave. Rest in peace my
friend. You have earned it. Larry Van Horn, N5FPW sends.

73 W1FB DE N5FPW SK

Thanks to Kevin Cary for giving us the heads up here in B-town. Here is some
additional info below from Rachel Baughn, MT editor.

Kevin Carey forwarded to me today the sad news that Doug DeMaw died
yesterday of the leukemia he was diagnosed to have only last spring.
Following is my first attempt at a tribute to go in to the November issue of
Monitoring Times, which ships to the printer in two days. I may need to cut
it further, but it gives you the basic info:

Doug DeMaw, W1FB: 1926-1997

	Doug DeMaw, author of "DeMaw's Workbench," world-renowned amateur radio
designer, writer, and personality, died at his home September 28, 1997, of
acute leukemia.
	Doug was first licensed in 1950 when he was working in the research and
development department of the University of Michigan's Willow Run Research
Center. He worked as an electronics engineer for WWTV and for Ryan
Aeronautical Laboratory. In 1960, he set up his own company, "Avtronics,"
and began The VHFer Magazine.
	Doug joined the ARRL headquarters staff in 1965, and continued with the
ARRL in various technical and editorial positions for 18 years. His wife
Jean, W1CKK, worked in the ARRL awards department.
	In 1983, Doug retired to the north woods of Michigan, where he formed "Oak
Hills Research" in partnership with his son, Dave, KA1BUQ. He continued to
be prolific in producing books for the ARRL. He was, in his own words,
"recruited by Ike Kerschner" to write for Monitoring Times in 1988, and his
straightforward, understandable writing style has encouraged and inspired
potential experimenters ever since.
	Doug also served his local community as county commissioner from 1984 to
the present time. Our condolences go out to Doug's family; his loss will be
felt by radio amateurs and monitors everywhere, not just because he was such
a good teacher, but because he was such a fine human being.

Rachel Baughn, Managing Editor
704-837-9200 Phone/704-837-2216 Fax
P.O. Box 98, Brasstown, NC 28902, USA
"If it's on the radio, it's in Monitoring Times"

Grove Internet Radio Forums Manager
Milcom/AM-FM-TV DX List Owner
Tracking the Trunks/Utility World columnist
Assistant Editor Monitoring Times
Managing Editor-Satellite Times magazine

Brasstown, NC USA: 35 deg 2'46.3"N, 83 deg 56'28"W

Stop H.R. 1964/2369 or lose your right to listen to non broadcast radio!!!
-- Douglas Adams