[HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX, Oct 2

  GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 97-15, Oct 2 1997

NEWS OF WORLD OF RADIO AND OTHER OUTPUT FROM GLENN HAUSER--

   1) Website has been updated with all the latest info; please
visit http://www.grove.net/~ghauser and explore the rest of grove

   2) WOR has been invited by John Carson to appear on KNOR, 1400,
Norman OK, Saturdays at 7:30 am CT, probably starting Oct 4.

   3) Extra 21 has been produced and distributed to stations,
release date not decided but probably in October. Topics include:
clockwork computer, mobile SWLing, broadcasting from airship in
Russia, Argentina's early radio history, about Bolivia's Radios
Nacionales, a visit to St Helena, Zambia enforces Christian
broadcasting, the Oromo conflict in Ethiopia, previewing digital
FM DXing, Cuban soap opera in Miami.

   4) CONTINENT OF MEDIA for October on RFPI only, from Oct 8,
Wed 2300 on 15050, 7385, Thu 0700 on 7385, 7585, and repeated
weekly until the Nov edition; also may be aired at any other time
before or after Oct 8 when a half-hour is available. Topics:
radio conglomeration in US may spread to Canada, the blight of
news-lite, Arthur Kent blasts NBC on Diana coverage, This
American Life vs repeats on public radio, workshop on space
weather effects on propagation, Morse 2000 World Conference,
internet and data via airplanes over metro areas, Cuba's internet
access, new tribal station in Mexico XEETCH, Radio Migra in El
Paso, Wichita Falls may lose another AM, Buffalo TIS for fall
foliage, drive-in harmonic from Vermont.

   5) My Spanish DX report for October will all appear in one
edition of Radio-Enlace on Radio Nederland, Fri Oct 3 and Sun Oct
5. After that with a couple of minutes added on WWCR, Thu 2100
and Fri 2115 on 15685 (in Nov these will move one UT hour later,
and in Dec will move to 9475); and on RFPI, which lately has been
running Mundo Radial after 1400 on Wed and Sat when the China QRM
on 7385 is over.

   6) WORLD OF RADIO 912 topics include: Release date for the DX-
398, Mario Cuomo's new show, special ham station W3W, the scoop
on Radio New Nigeria, recording of 5910 Somali? show, special
broadcasts from Europe, longwave plans in Norway, and much more.

JORDAN. Winter time is back as of Sept 28, and English from R.
Jordan has shifted to 1100-1730, one hour later, on 11690 (Edwin
Southwell, England, WORLD OF RADIO 912) Still not making it here
at 1245 check Oct 2, tho Israel was booming in on 15615 (Hauser)

MEXICO. XERTA is still testing on 4800. Once complete, unless
plans change, the next frequency would be 15120 (Hector Garcia B.,
Mexico, RIB)

SOMALIA (?) [non]. I taped the last 50 minutes of the UT Sat Sep
27 airing of the unID program via Germany at 0100-0159. Reception
was quite good, and I listened carefully for any familiar words.
I never heard "Radio" or anything recognizable as an ID; nor
"Oromo". I did hear Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Somalia, Aydid and
The Economist; the second half-hour was mostly music, and the
final announcement before closing at 0159, where one would expect
an ID, seemed to include the word "Somali". I've included a tape
of this announcement on World of Radio 912 this week, and hope
someone can recognize the language if not identify the program
(Glenn Hauser, OK)

TURKEY. VOT is looking for a frequency to replace 7300 at 0300
in English for W97 which will then be at 0400; I suggest 5870,
but not sure if they can go that low (Gigi Lytle, TX, via Joe
Hanlon, WORLD OF RADIO 912)

U S A. Afropop Worldwide, a weekly stereo hour on public radio
stations with Georges Collinet, who also works for VOA, has an
episode titled "DXing Africa"! This info appeared in October
previews on the KMUW.org website for Saturday, Oct. 11 at 9 pm
in Wichita; times and dates will vary elsewhere (Hauser, RIB)