[HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Oct 8

       GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 97-16, Oct 8, 1997

WORLD OF RADIO schedule changes: WWCR has added another time,
UT Sun 0130 on 5070. Still Thu 2030 15685, Sat 0600 3210 and
5070, Sat 1130 5070, Sun 0900 3210, Mon 0300 3215, Tue 1230
15685. We have also added KNOR, 1400, Norman OK, Sat 1330 UT,
but next week may move a bit later on Sats (Hauser)

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 913: Sputnik relaunch, R. Free
Asia in the money, Kansas City stations swap, expanded-band
activity, RHC contests, Ethiopian clandestine identified,
pirate specials from Europe, Media Network may reduce SW
content even further, and much more (Hauser)

CUBA. RHC in English Sat Oct 4 at 2110 on 13715 was in USB
instead of usual AM and nothing on the former USB outlet
13725 (Glenn Hauser, OK)

CZECH REPUBLIC. After several more czechs I finally got the
entire announcement from R. Prague I mentioned previously,
Oct 6 at 1306 on 13580. Said that as far as they knew, the
English and Czech services would continue next year, but they
were worried about German, French and Spanish as the Minister
of Foreign Affairs has said they would be discontinued.
Listeners who would like to express their solidarity with Radio
Prague broadcasters and listeners in these languages were asked
to write by Oct. 15 to the MFA (Glenn Hauser, OK)

ETHIOPIA [non]. Dave Kenny of BBCM had their Nairobi unit check
out our unID on 5910 UT Sat 0100-0159, and here is the answer:
   Rainbow Radio, a previously-unheard Ethiopian opposition
station in Amharic (Keste Damena Radio), the voice of peace and
brotherhood. Also announces broadcasts to Eth/EAf Thu 1600-1700
on 15365; WEu Sat 1900-2000 on 6130 (WORLD OF RADIO 913)

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES. The Oct MUF peak seems underway, with good
reception some days from Dubai 21605 in English at 1329, and then
in Arabic as late as 1600 with lots of great music. On Oct 5 it
was booming in here, strongest signal from hemisphere-east. Also
confirmed on announced //13675--next best, 13630 and 15395--both
poor. NERRS overlooked the 1330 English in DX Window. Current
feature after the news at 1337 is Modern Trends in Arab Thought
(Glenn Hauser, OK and WORLD OF RADIO 913)

U S A. Ham Radio & More announced it was giving up and its final
broadcast would be Oct 26; live Sunday 2200-2300 on WWCR 5070
[but Oct 26 after time change it will be 2300-2400]
(Pete Costello, NJ, WORLD OF RADIO 913)

U S A. Just before WOR 912 broadcast, Oct 7 at 0400 on 5085-USB,
Dave Frantz on WGTG announced that their second transmitter would
begin testing in a few weeks. I understand he plans to use
more tropical-band frequencies near to WWCR. He's looking for new
customers and offers low, low rates (Glenn Hauser, OK)       ###