[HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Report Oct 23

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 97-18, Oct 23, 1997

[items from these reports may be reproduced and re-reproduced
only provided full credit be maintained at all stages]

WORLD OF RADIO TIME SHIFTS ON WWCR from Oct 26: Thu 2130 15685, Sat 0700
3210 5070, Sat 1230 5070, Sun 0230 5070, Sun 1000 3210, Mon 0400 3215,
Tue 1330 15685. On WGTG Tue 0500 5085-USB. For complete details see our
fully updated website:
http://www.grove.net/~ghauser (Hauser)

WORLD OF RADIO TIME SHIFTS on WRN from Oct 26: Europe via Astra,
Sat 0430, 1700, Sun 1230 UT; NAm via Galaxy, Sat 1700, Sun 0630
UT ex-Sat 0530; Africa/Asia/Pacific digital, Sat 1700 only.

AUSTRIA. Now it doesn't matter to English-speaking listeners
whether BBC will again be clashing with ORF at 0230 on 7325--
ORF has consolidated its two English broadcasts at 0030 and 0230
into one at 0130 for W97, //9495, 9870 to SAm. Morning shifts
to 1330 on 13730; and Canadian relay 6015 resumes two English
at 0530 and 0630 instead of French at the latter time (ORF and
via Bob Thomas, WORLD OF RADIO 915)

CANADA. With CKFX 6080 kaput, CHNX 6130 becomes the QRP champion at 50
watts, if they still don't have the higher-powered unit
going. Since CFRX 6070 was booming in, I decided to check 6130,
not really expecting to hear it--but Oct 23 at 1026 tune-in,
there it was amid their special SW ID, on USB only, weak but
relatively clear. Ads and music, UT-3 TCs still in effect, IDs
as Oldies 96, news. Already at 1035 the SW ID came up again:
"You are listening to radio station CHNX shortwave, 6130 kHz on
the 49 meter band. We are broadcasting from the studios of CHNS
radio in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, 24 hours a day." Then wx
from the Weather Network (Glenn Hauser, OK)

COSTA RICA. RFPI has been testing a new frequency, 6970. Tim
Hendel says it started UT Oct 21 on USB, but when I checked the
next night it was on AM, not bad signal //7385 and no 7585 but
was on AM with noticeably inferior modulation, including during
World of Radio UT Wed at 0300. 6970 not on all-night, as not
heard during checks around 1100 on Oct 22, 23. No jamming lately
(Glenn Hauser, OK; WORLD OF RADIO 915)

IRELAND [non]. WWCR will be carrying a special hour from RTE with
results of the Oct 30 presidential election. It takes three days
to determine the outcome, since voters pick their second and
third choices as well as their first, and if their first does not
win, votes transfer to their next choice! So the special will be
Sunday Nov 2 at 1300 on 5070, live from RTE via WRN, and repeated at
2300 on 5070, Mon 0500 on 3210, per Adam Lock (WORLD OF RADIO 915)

KOREA SOUTH. After months of promotion and listener input, RKI
announced Oct 19 the new name chosen to replace the obsolete
Shortwave Feedback. It's "Martiwave Feedback"--?? That's what
it sounded like, but they must have been trying to say "Multi-
Wave Feedback", trouble with the Rs and Ls, so maybe not such a
great choice! Goes into effect Nov 2. Also said their Internet
webpage would officially open Oct 26, including history of RKI,
schedules, pictures of people in different language sections,
written and voiced free news-on-demand system in 10 languages,
language lessons also written and voiced, links to other Korean
sites, survey questions to be rewarded with souvenir. Go to:
http://www.kbs.co.kr/rki/rki.html.
W97 sked changes include: Skelton 2200-2230 ex-2100-2130 on 3970 but
still at 2100-2130 now direct on 6480, ex-60 minutes since
transmitter is needed for Spanish test on 6150, but did not
specifically say this would be at 2130; Also from Oct 26 the
usual Sackville switch to 1130-1200 on 9650 ex-1030-1100 11715,
which is where I heard all this, weak and fadey (Glenn Hauser, OK)

MEXICO. Playing back a tape of the Sept 11 Estacion DX on XERMX--I'm a
bit behind on my delayed monitoring--someone named Alvaro was talking
about the Universidad de Colima applying for an AM station, but since AM
licenses are hard to get, they might try
for SW where it is relatively easy (Glenn Hauser, OK)

U S A. Closure on the Chuck Harder SW story first reported here:
Hans Johnson of Cumbre DX talked to someone at For the People who told
him they had decided not to proceed with establishing a SW
station in Florida, due to the unexpectedly high costs, but would
still set up an AM along I-75 (WORLD OF RADIO 915)

YUGOSLAVIA. From the 0100 ENAm broadcast on Oct 21 comes the new R.
Yugoslavia sked effective Oct 26: 0100 ENAm 6195, 7115; 0200 WNAm 6180,
7130. Typically, no response received from RY
regarding absence of 0430 WNAm broadcast (Sanchovich, WORLD OF RADIO
915)                                                 ###