[HCDX]: TFW 41 C

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright 1997  Part  3
Year  2   Number 41  - Rome,  29 October   1997

COSTA RICA - RFPI has been testing a new frequency, 6970. Tim Hendel
says it started UT Oct 21 on USB, but when I checked the next night it
was on  AM, not bad signal //7385 and no 7585 but was on AM with
noticeably inferior modulation, including during World of Radio UT Wed
at 0300. 6970 not  on all-night, as not heard during checks around 1100
on Oct 22, 23. No jamming lately (Glenn Hauser, OK; WORLD OF RADIO 915 /
SW/DX Report 97-18, Oct 23, 1997)

GEORGIA - Eff 26 Oct, registrations for Voice of Hope, Tbilisi,  (High
Adventure Ministries): 9310 1300-1530 India, 1600-1700 East Africa.
(George Jacobs and Associates / EDXP # 65).

GEORGIA - 4930 Mayak Relay, Dusheti, 0140 with Mayak IS and Russian talk
by a couple ofM announcers, folk-type mx. Fluttery signal.
(17-Oct/Novello-NC / NASWA LN 11/97)

GERMANY - "Universelles Lebens" (New Life station) via Julich observed
on 5890, *2000-2010* in English, announcing Germany and USA mailing
addresses. (14 Oct, Bob Padula / EDXP # 65).

INDONESIA  - Station is heard somehow earlier than before . On 20/10 it
was heard at 2145 with nice dangdut songs on 9630 with signal at 33333
over RNE at same QRG There  is anow a strong local QRN  from unknown
sources ( motors? ) that, though previously  stopped at 2200 , they are
now continuing  to be heard across the bands at most times also
thoughout the night greek times . 9680 was at marginal levels over this
QRN (Liangas, Greece)

INDONESIA - RRI seems to have commenced a new schedule for its high
powered transmitters, possibly involving  THREE sites. The external
service (VOI) between 0030-0400 is now on 11785, instead of 9525. 11785
is also used for VOA 0800-0900, 1000-1100 and 1200-1300, whilst 9525
remains at 0900-1000 and 1100-1200. The English service announcements
still refer only to 9525 for the blocks at 0100, 0800 and 200. On "World
of Radio" 18 October, a contributor in Europe reported that 7225 was
heard in parallel with 9525 1730-2100. DXers in Europe will recall  that
7225 was the main frequency used by RRI for the Overseas Sercvice in
that time period, from the site at Padang Cermin (near Medan), but has
been inactive over the last three years. This site had a 1983 Thomson
CSF 250 kW unit and an antenna azimuth of 305 degrees to the Middle East
and North Africa, If this site has been reactivated I woder if it is in
danger from the current forest fires? I have monitored the Domestic
Service as follows: Radio Nasional Satu: 15125 Cimanggis 2200-0900
beamed East --- 11755 (new) Cimanggis 2200-1600 beamed North East ---
9630 Bontosongu 2100-1500 beamed West --- 9565 Bontosongu 2100-1500
beamed East --- 4777 (7.5 kW) Kebayoran 1100-2300 --- Radio Nasional
Dua: All outlets are 2200-0200 and 0900-1300 only. 15150 Cimanggis
beamed North East --- 11750 Bontosongu beamed West --- 9680 Cimanggis
beamed North West. Note: 11885 has not been used regularly since the end
of July but is still announced.  Cimanggis is 50 km south of Jakarta and
Bontosongu is 20 km south of Ujung Padang. Kebayoran is 7 km SW of the
centre of Jakarta City. The 1997 Transmitter Documentation Project
discloses that Kebayoran WAS the main RRI transmitting site between
approxitely 1950 and 1970. Does anyone know, for sure, if this site
still exists? (Robert Jones, 19 Oct /  EDXP # 65 ).

INDONESIA - RRI noted on new channel 11755 0000-1600 possibly  for the
South Asia Games - most of the time carrying Sports commentaries.. Also
noted English 0100-0200 on 9525 and 11785 (new).(Alok das Gupta, 18 Oct
/EDXP # 65.

INDONESIA - RRI National Program Network-2 observed on new 11755 at 2150
parallel with 9565, different to the other HS program on 9680. At 2200,
all  three outlets oserved with common news hook-up. 9565 has bad
co-channel QRM from Rome, English to Japan 2200-2225. External Service
vanished from 9525 and European service 2000-2100 could not be located
anywhere!(Bob Padula, 19 Oct / EDXP # 65).

IRELAND - [non]. WWCR will be carrying a special hour from RTE with
results of the Oct 30 presidential election. It takes three days to
determine the outcome, since voters pick their second and third choices
as well as their first, and if their first does not win, votes transfer
to their next choice! So the special will be Sunday Nov 2 at 1300 on
5070, live from RTE via WRN, and repeated at 2300 on 5070, Mon 0500 on
3210, per Adam Lock (WORLD OF RADIO 915 / SW/DX Report 97-18, Oct 23,
1997)

KOREA REP. - KBS has ordered a new 100 kW shortwave transmitter to be
installed at their station in Suwon.(Ludo Maes/TDP via DXW, 19Oct/ EDXP
# 65).

KOREA SOUTH - After months of promotion and listener input, RKI
announced Oct 19 the new name chosen to replace the obsolete Shortwave
Feedback. It's "Martiwave Feedback"--?? That's what it sounded like, but
they must have been trying to say "Multi-Wave Feedback", trouble with
the Rs and Ls, so maybe not such a great choice! Goes into effect Nov 2.
Also said their Internet webpage would officially open Oct 26, including
history of RKI, schedules, pictures of people in different language
sections, written and voiced free news-on-demand system in 10 languages,
language lessons also written and voiced, links to other Korean sites,
survey questions to be rewarded with souvenir. Go to: <
http://www.kbs.co.kr/rki/rki.html > W97 sked changes include: Skelton
2200-2230 ex-2100-2130 on 3970 but still at 2100-2130 now direct on
6480, ex-60 minutes since transmitter is needed for Spanish test on
6150, but did not specifically say this would be at 2130; Also from Oct
26 the usual Sackville switch to 1130-1200 on 9650 ex-1030-1100 11715,
which is where I heard all this, weak and fadey (Glenn Hauser, OK /
SW/DX Report 97-18, Oct 23, 1997)

LATIN AMERICAN BROADCASTING - Recently, some of the major international
stations that broadcast to Latin America met in Chile at a conference
organised by Radio Netherlands. At the conference, the future of
international broadcasting and shortwave was discussed. RFI plans to cut
off shortwave broadcasting to Latin America, while at the same time
Radio Netherlands and BBC plan to continue their efforts. BBC  has set
up a production office in Miami and Radio Netherlands has set up their
base of operation at Costa Rica. Digital shortwave seen as the future of
shortwave broadcasting. (Communications World, 18 October via Mick
Ogrizek / EDXP # 65).

LIBERIA  - 5880, Star Radio, Oct 13, *0458,  with tone. Into IS then
anthem at 0459.  Sign on anncments at 0500 by OM in English "Good
morning, this is Star Radio FM104....."  Into schedule then I greet you,
and welcome you to Star Radio."  Into vern talks by YL. (Rippel /
DXWindow # 86)

LIBERIA  - From NU 1445, Supp. A, Oct 13:  The following second E-mail
message has been rcvd from Star Radio:  "Dear Jerry Berg. Thanks for
your reception report sent to STAR radio.  STAR radio is a USAID funded
independent radio station serving Liberians in Liberia and the
surrounding territories.  It is managed by the Swiss based NGO Fondation
Hirondelle. We broadcast in English, Liberian English, French and 14
local Liberian   languages.  We are broadcasting on a Collins short wave
transmitter from just outside Monrovia.  The rated output is 10KW but
the signal is nearer 4KW.   We use a tuned antenna which is designed to
serve the region only. In common with other short wave transmissions the
signal bounces off the ionosphere,    back to earth again and therefore
it's not surprising that you picked it up -- however imperfectly -- in
Lexington.  We are presently testing our short wave transmitter which
has been recently installed. We are transmitting on 5.88 MhZ from 0500
to 0800 and 3.40 Mhz from 1700 to 2000. We shall reverse     these
frequencies from next Sunday, 19 October. We have been transmitting on
stereo FM 104 from 15 July and our signal reaches well beyond the city
of      Monrovia as the surrounding land is mostly flat. Sincerely,
George Bennett, Chief of STAR Radio."  --  So: Right now they are closer
to 4 kw than 10, and effective Sunday, Oct 19, 3400 kHz will be used at
0500-0800, 5880 kHz at 1700-2000.  --  FAX number and E-mail address
from NU 1438:  231/227360; and < libe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > (Berg in
Numero Uno / DSWCI DX Window # 86)

LIBERIA  - Noted *0500 w/NA and anmt: "Good morning, it's Saturday,
October 11, 1997. Star Radio sommences another day's transmission from
Monrovia. Star Radio broadcasts on the frequencies of 104 FM and 5.880
kHz  on the shortwave band. This frequency will be in use from now until
8 o'clock this morning." (Rausch-NJ / NASWA LN 11/97)

MEXICO - Playing back a tape of the Sept 11 Estacion DX on XERMX--I'm a
bit behind on my delayed monitoring--someone named Alvaro was talking
about the Universidad de Colima applying for an AM station, but since AM
licenses are hard to get, they might try for SW where it is relatively
easy (Glenn Hauser, OK/ SW/DX Report 97-18, Oct 23, 1997)

NETHERLANDS - A request for listener feedback on the internet newsgroup
rec.radio.shortwave would indicate that Radio Netherlands is
contemplating an overhaul of its popular "Media Network" program.
According to Jonathan Marks, "Since the distribution of the program is
moving onto other domestic radio networks besides Radio Netherlands' own
short-wave transmitters, there have been recent calls from clients and
some listeners to broaden the themes in the program. This would mean
more features about the Internet and TV with correspondingly much less
in the way of short-wave specific items. The propagation review, certain
station profiles and our in-depth receiver reviews would disappear from
the on-air version of the program. ( Well, with all due respect,
Jonathan, I don't see the advantage in taking a program that's essential
listening within a narrowly-target audience and turning it into a
touch-all-the-bases magazine that's essential listening  to nobody. In
this regard, Radio Netherlands should examine what became of "Sweden
Calling DX'ers" when that show pushed shortwave news aside in favor of
items about satellites and domestic telephone networks. -Al Quaglieri,
NY USA)  (NASWA LN 11/97)

NIGERIA - 6049.94 FRCN Ibadan, presumed the one at 2020 with talk in
African language by M and W. Wiped out by BBC Limassol IS on 6050 at
2027. (30-Sep/Novello-NC / NASWA LN 11/97)

PHILIPPINES - 13315U National Broadcasting Corporation (Relay), 2314, M
Tagalog nx mentioning "Japanese government", "International Red Cross" &
various locales in the Philippines; Ads including "Eveready Batteries" &
a shampoo "for shiny, black hair." Birthday wishes, Passing reference to
"NBC" & later, a partial ID: " .........???...........Broadcasting
Corporation." M tlk til 2330* in mid-sentence. "Radio-Telephone" traffic
began on freq 2 minutes later. If I recall correctly, this station was
on 13170v/ USB a couple of years ago. It is used to relay a morning news
program to Filipino fishermen at sea. In the past, I recall hearing
"DZAM" IDs. The WRTH lists DZAM as a station of the National
Broadcasting Corporation in Metro-Manila on 1026 MW. The shortwave relay
used to be scheduled from 2300-2345, so perhaps they reduced
transmission time by 15 minutes. Fair. Also heard on 10/10 from around
2305 UTC. Nothing heard on 11 October (Sunday). (9-Oct/Famularo-Japan /
NASWA LN 11/97)

SAN MARINO - Dear listeners, we are glad to inform you that the
transmission (non-stop music without announcements) of  October 19th,
1997 has been a great success !!! You can find in our site the page with
all reception reports  received by e-mail from Italy, Germany, Belgium,
The Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Spain, Austria, Finland,
Sweden, Denmark, New Zealand, Australia and United States. AS WE DO NOT
WANT TO PUBLICIZE OUR REAL ADDRESS YET, JUST AND ONLY FOR THESE TEST
TRANSMISSIONS WE HAVE THE HELP OF PLAY DX GROUP IN MILANO IN ORDER TO
RECEIVE BY MAIL YOUR RECEPTION REPORTS. YOU CAN SEND YOUR CORRECT
REPORTS, ACCORDING TO THE FORMALITY DESCRIBED IN OUR SITE, TO:  RSMI C/O
PLAY DX, VIA DAVANZATI 8, 20158  MILANO  (MI) ITALY.  WE REPEAT AGAIN
THAT THIS IS NOT OUR ADDRESS BUT THE ONLY WAY, AT PRESENT, TO SEND A
RECEPTION REPORT TO OUR STATION, THANKS TO PLAY DX GROUP.  YOU WILL
RECEIVE FROM SAN MARINO A QSL-FOLDER FULL DETAILED AND NUMBERED.  Here
some details about our test transmissions:  - date: October 19th, 1997 -
UTC : 07.00-10.50 (and 14.45-17.05 / 20.15-23.50) - frequency 11410 kHz
USB; - power 300 W (we will use for regular broadcast 600W); -
inverted-V dipole with reflector beamed 345°; - transmission from a
mobile station in the Republic of  San Marino territory.  The next test
transmission from San Marino will be on air in November; you will
receive in advance, by our mailing list, the time, date and frequency.
We wait, also for the next broadcast, your help by sending to RSMI
reports about signal, modulation and interference. We invite you to
visit our updated site to have more news about our station. (RADIO SAN
MARINO INTERNATIONAL via e-mail)

SOUTH AFRICA - Additional txions of Channel Africa advised from 26Oct:
English 1800-1830, French 1830-1855 on 15240 to West Africa (Kathy Otto,
16 Oct / EDXP # 65).

UKRAINE - 11720 Kazak Radio via Kiyev 1355 Nice assortment of solo
guitar music and exotic light vocals before 1400 IS. ID incorporating
"Kazak...Radio", then back into same type of music. Music took on a
religious flavor 1420 with call-to-prayer type invocations. 1430
different IS, W ID beginning "Almata...", and into discussion program
with many ments of Kazakstan. Local pop mx 1440. (20-Oct/Novello-NC /
NASWA LN 11/97)

-----------------------
DX PROGRAMS
-----------------------
WORLD OF RADIO SCHEDULE, effective October 26:  NOTE: this reflects time
shifts for winter after DST is over On WWCR  Nashville, Thu 2130 15685,
Sat 0700 5070 AND 3210, Sat 1230 5070, Sun 0230 5070, Sun 1000 3210, Mon
0400 3215, Tue 1330 15685. On RFPI Costa Rica: Fri 2000, Sat 0400, 1100,
1800, Sun 0200, 0900, 2300, Mon 0700, Tue 1900, Wed 0300, 1000--on 15050
AM in 1900-2400 period, 7385 2200-1200, 7585-USB 0000-1200. On WGTG,
Georgia, UT Tue 0500 on 5085-USB. If the tape arrives before Monday
additional unscheduled times may occur, such as UT Mon 0600 on 5085-USB
or on 9400 Sat, Sun daytime. If the tape does not arrive until Tuesday,
backup time is UT Wed at 0600 (Hauser, OK USA, Oct 22)

Hello, everyone--Joe Brashier of World Harvest Radio has sent me the
official schedule for DXing with Cumbre effective October 26th, taking
into account time changes for WHRI due to the return to Standard Time in
the United States.  Thus, transmissions will move to one hour later UTC
on WHRI to stay at the same local time in North America.  KWHR will not
be affected by this change.  If there are other changes, I'll let you
know.
DXING WITH CUMBRE SCHEDULE AS OF OCTOBER 26, 1997:  WHRI Angel 1 (To:
Americas/Caribbean) 0600 - 0630 Saturday 7315 kHz --- 1830 - 1900
Saturday 9495 kHz --- 2330 - 2400 Saturday  9495 kHz.  WHRI Angel 2 (To:
Europe/Middle East/Africa/Russia/N Am) 0600 - 0630 Saturday 5760 kHz ---
1530 - 1600 Saturday 13760 kHz --- 2300 - 2330 Saturday   5745 kHz ---
1830 - 1900 Sunday  13760 kHz.  KWHR Angel 3 (To: Asia/Pacific) 0230 -
0300 Saturday 17510 kHz ---1200 - 1230 Saturday  11565 kHz --- 1630 -
1700 Sunday 7560 kHz --- 1830 - 1900 Sunday  7560  kHz.  Thanks for
everyone!   Marie Lamb

<  Marconi ha dato agli uomini un nuovo
modo di conoscersi, di aiutarsi, di
amarsi, quale nessun  poeta o scienziato
aveva mai immaginato.  >
                                                  Nuova Antologia

< La conoscenza e' la prima forma di liberta'. >
                                                       Giovanni Serra

< Un uomo che abbia qualcosa da dire
e non trovi chi l' ascolta,
se la passa male.