[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME ELEVEN - NUMBER TWO

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME ELEVEN - NUMBER TWO

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER. NEW ZEALAND.-------

EDITOR: Graham J Barclay.
Phone: 0064-6-835-9186.
Fax:     0064-6-835-9186.
Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW site 1: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885
WWW site 2: http://www.lls.se/jal/fr/kiwi.html

This page is sponsored by: SRS-News - Sweden.
	           http://www.lls.se/jal/links.html
and                 http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html

			VOLUME ELEVEN - NUMBER TWO

November 9th 1997

Hello Again everyone.

We have a FULL edition this week, which proves that there is NEWS
out there - JUST TELL US.

As of the December Issue of South Pacific RoundUp Publication
of the Australian DX Group SPUD , we will be contributing a
Free Radio page on what has happened, and what will hopefully
happen in the near future in the world of Free radio

We will be updating our www site at CapeCanaveral 9885 soon, now
that we have gotten our "lost" password back - like the Prodigal son
it is welcomed back with an open cursor, as some sites need to be
updated including the page on Back Issues of the Weekly. The updates
will be done over the next week or so.

Can anyone PLEASE tell us how we can load pictures onto the site,
we have a scanner etc.
Your comments to:	kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks.

Now onto other news:

			**************************
RADIO SAN MARINO INT:

The Last TEST !!!!!

We will be on the air from the Republic of San Marino
with non-stop-music test
Sunday NOVEMBER 9th, 1997
from 9.00 to 21.00 UTC on 7.395 KHz LSB and 11.410 KHz USB

This will be the second and LAST test before our official opening.

AS WE DO NOT WANT TO PUBLICIZE OUR REAL ADDRESS
YET, JUST AND ONLY FOR THESE TEST TRANSMISSIONS
WE HAVE THE HELP OF PLAY DX GROUP IN MILANO IN
ORDER TO RECEIVE BY MAIL YOUR RECEPTION REPORTS.
YOU CAN SEND YOUR CORRECT REPORTS, ACCORDING TO
THE FORMALITY DESCRIBED IN OUR SITE, TO:
================
RSMI
C/O PLAY DX
VIA DAVANZATI 8
20158  MILANO  MI
ITALY
================
WE REPEAT AGAIN THAT THIS IS NOT OUR ADDRESS BUT
THE ONLY WAY, AT PRESENT, TO SEND A RECEPTION
REPORT TO OUR STATION, THANKS TO PLAY DX GROUP.

YOU WILL RECEIVE FROM SAN MARINO A QSL-FOLDER FULL
DETAILED AND NUMBERED.

RADIO SAN MARINO INTERNATIONAL

 -Please note that Radio San Marino Int is NOT connected with the
official San Marino Broadcasting Service in any way.

http://www.exactweb.com/RSMI
e-mail : RSMI@xxxxxxxxxxxx
( We will be listening out again to see if we can make it two
broadcasts,
twice heard here in New Zealand. - Ed ).

			*****************************
CAN YOU PLEASE HELP US ???

I was recently loaned a "Home brew" receiver made by the Norwegian
Underground in WW II.

On first look, it looks like any other home brewed radio of the 1920's.
The most distinguishing feature was the excellent cabinet it came in.
Although "Home Made" the wooden cabinet was an excellent piece of
workmanship, a tribute to the Norwegian furniture makers, no doubt,
who made it.

The radio is made from components that were supplied by the British.
While most of the components were taken from 1920s and 1930's stocks,
 the tube panel was  custom made,  Interestingly enough, all the
components were made so that they could be assembled with out
resorting to a soldering iron!  It took me a while to figure out what
the
circuit was but it turned out to be a three stage regenerative
receiver.
The first stage was an RF amplifier of sorts, the second stage was a
regenerative grid leak detector and the last stage was an audio
amplifier.

The tube line up was a Phillips B  443 as an audio amplifier, a Phillips
409 as the detector and an unknown tube as the RF amplifier. Unknown
as the glass broke on the trip to Florida. My guess is that is was a
XXXX.
All tubes were the four pin continental base which made replacement
very difficult.
The tubes did not have sockets as we think of sockets.  A bakelite board
had been drilled at the factory and the sockets installed.
The connections underneath were then soldered, presumably at the
factory to screw terminal binding posts.  All the user had to do was
screw the panel to a wood base and start wiring.
All filaments under the board were soldered in series.

The other components in the set were two variable capacitors, two rotary
switches, two fixed capacitors, a resistor in a glass fuze type holder,
jack for the headphones and two more socklets  for something callel a
Hoitaler, which I later found out meantXXXX. two antenna coils and a
smaller coil that had a hinge so it could be moved back and forth in
relation to the one antenna coil. The final manufactured item was a wire
wound rheostat for controlling the filament.

The first thought I had was it would have been simpler to use two tubes,
why use three?  Then I realized that they were concerned about German
radio direction finders picking up the signal generated by the tickler
coil
and re radiated out the antenna. This was solved by adding an RF
amplification stage.

The components all had either screw terminals or came with the leads
attached at the factory.  It probably came in kit form with all the
components needed except the cabinet.  This would allow the builder to
use any form of concealment that was handy and would keep the radio
out of sight of the Germans. This particular set was in a cabinet and
 looked like a radio.

CAN YOU OR ANY OF YOUR BRITISH OR NORWEGIANN
CONTACTS SUGGEST WHAT TYPE PHILLIPS TUBE MIGHT
HAVE BEEN USED AS THE RF AMPLIFIER?
CAN YOU IDENTIFY WHAT A HOITALER IS?
(UMLAUT OVER THE O) HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY
INFORMATION ON THESE TUBES OR DOES ANYBODY HAVE
REPLACEMENT TUBES?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

WILLIAM L. HOWARD

THE WILLIAM L. HOWARD ORDNANCE
TECHNICAL INTELLIGENCE MUSEUM
E-mail:    wlhoward@xxxxxxx
Telephone AC 813 585-7756
			**************************

               PACIFIC FM LOG ORDER FORM INFORMATION
                                         November 1, 1997
Dear FM DXers

It's about to be released within the next 3-4 weeks. The all new
'1998 Pacific FM Log' is coming soon. Don't miss out on your copy.

Apply in writing or my E-mail for your order form. Received orders will
ONLY be excepted on a signed post mailed official order form.
Requests for order forms will only be accepted if included with a
45c mint stamp or SSAE for Australian residents or 75c mint Aussie
stamp for NZ applicants. All other world regions must send 2 IRC's or
US$1.

Requests for the order form via E-mail understand that the order form is
in Microsoft WORD 6 format.

All applicants realise that the PACIFIC FM LOG is available on software
only. No printed copies are available. The PAC. FM LOG is curently
only available in Excel v4/5 format with companion WORD 6 files.

The Pacific FM LOG is still being compiled & the completed (to the best
of the editors ability) product should be available by late Nov - early
Dec 97. Please allow up to 2 weeks delivery from the first week in
December. Some versions of the program may be available slighly sooner.
Copies sent OS will be by AIRMAIL (except some versions by e-mail on
request.)

WHAT TO EXPECT:

The purchaser accepts that the information contained within the log is
not for disclosure to anyone other than yourself or a co-signed party.
It is expressly FORBIDDEN that information contained within the log is
reproduced within any DX magazine or disclosed to radio programs, book
editors or software copied in any way. It is forbidden that the program
or sections with the program are copied or distributed in anyway.

The Excel file is the main package. It contains FM station information
from Australia, NZ, PNG & South Pacific region only.

Information fields within the FM LOG database are:

FREQUENCY, STATION STATUS, TX POWER / DIRECTION, POLARISATION, STATION
NAME / CALLSIGN, TX SITE, REGION SERVED / LOCATION, STEREO / MONO,
STATION BUSINESS NAME, ADDRESS, PH, FAX, E-mail, Web Site, Station ID /
SLOGAN, PROGRAM FORMAT, SCHEDULES, TRANSLATORS, PROGRAM RELAYS, LICENCE
CATAGORY, REGION NO., NETWORK FIELD, COMMENTS ADDITIONAL INFO.,
LAST QSL'D DATE, LAST MONITORED DATE / NAME, DATE OF LAST UPDATE OF
INFO, ACS / RDS info, STATION OWNERSHIP INFO & CONTRIBUTORS INITIALS.

All of this information is contained within separate columns with over
2400 rows indicating over 2400 FM projected & operational FM TXers in
our region.

We have also included WORD 6 companion files which contain information
on abbreviations, contributors, FM LOG development, column info within
the FM database, Interesting FM related web sites / newsgroups &
information on the large FM Radio Networks in our region.

Isn't this all just too much!?

But wait there's more. The first 5 orders received obtain a NRJ Noumea
sticker.

Not satisfied with that? Okay. All full payment orders received go into
draw to receive a ONE only cassette recording of a FM broadcast station
that operated in the south pacific region for 18 months before closing
down in 1996. This was this particular country's first FM broadcast
station. The recording was taken in May 1997. I'll reveal the mystery
station to unlucky applicants in March 1998.

WANT MORE? Those purchasers with E-mail will be entiled to receive FREE
for 6 months updates to the FM PACIFIC LOG until May 31st, 1998.{My
health & employment pending}

The 1998 is "THE" only authoritive FM broadcast station database that
covers the AUST / NZ / PNG  South Pacific region in its entirity. No
other database of its kind exists on the planet. Please don't expect the
1998 WRTH to even come close, much of its info is years out of date &
far from complete.

                ## DON'T SEND ANY MONEY YET ##
              Expected price range is $40 to $45 Australian

REQUESTS for order forms will be taken now.

WRITE or E-Mail now to:

Ian Baxter
PO BOX 1540
CHATSWOOD NSW 2057
AUSTRALIA
E-Mail: ibaxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Baxter
Editor & Chief Researcher
1998 PACIFIC FM LOG

			**************************
STATION LOCATION FINDER:

There is a new feature on the MIT List of Radio Stations on the
Internet.
You can now find radio stations that are near your location.  You can
either enter your longitude and latitude, or enter your city and state,
and the program will return all of the radio stations that can be heard
from your location.

This feature is still experimental, and currently only works for FM
radio
stations in the United States.  We will be adding the ability to find AM
stations in the near future.

The Radio Station Locator is at:

  http://wmbr.mit.edu/stations/locate.html

Enjoy!
-Theodric Young
			***************************
FOR SALE - ONE PIRATE RADIOSHIP - AVAILABLE NOW!!!

 Anyone interested in a floating pirate radiostation ??

 I highly doubt it. But in any case: there's a pirate ship for sale.
It's the King David, the former Lightship number 3 from Trinity
House in the UK.  The ship is currently moored off the coast of
Tel Aviv.  The King David does NOT have a motor, but it does
 have a very good anchorsystem and can stay on the high seas
for many years to come. The ship is in excellent state.

On board are a 40 metres high antenna mast,  a 20 KW Telefunken
AM transmitters, a 10 KW  Siemens FM transmitter and a 3 KW
Rhode and Schwarz transmitter, plus necessary generators and
studio equipment  (mainly a couple of minidisc players and mixers).

The organisation running Channel 2000 got bankrupt. They are
a million dollars in debt.  I was responsible for fitting this ship
out while the ship was in Portsmouth in the UK in 1995. The owners
contacted me again a few days ago, asking me wether I would know
anyone who'd be interested in the whole ship and/or the equipment
on board.
The current owners would accept any serious offer.
Serious party's: please contact me, and I'll bring you in touch
with the owners of this pirate radio vessel that is currently off the
coast of Israel.

Herbert Visser

			***************************
ALLEN WEINER KEEPS GOING!!

Up in MAINE, Al Weiner wants to build a new shortwave station.
The veteran New England broadcaster (both licensed and unlicensed) has
applied to the FCC to build a shortwave transmitter in Monticello.
More to come on this one as we find out more about Weiner's plans.

( Scott Fybush - NorthEast Radio Watch )
			************************

BROADCASTERS vs THE FCC.

It's an early Halloween for pirate broadcasters in New England, and
they're not getting any treats from the FCC.

On Tuesday afternoon( Oct 30th 1997 ), FCC agents visited Radio Free
Allston (106.1) at its studios in an Allston art gallery, as well as
Worcester pirate WDOA (89.3), ordering the stations off the air and
threatening fines and jail time if broadcasts continued.
RFA founder Steven Provizer was manning the board at the station when
the agents arrived.  He says they photographed RFA's equipment and
transmitter readings but did not confiscate anything, and he's promising
a renewed fight in court to make RFA legitimate.
Provizer says the FCC told him it had received complaints from a
licensed broadcaster (he says it's WROR (105.7) that made the
complaint).

Other area pirates aren't waiting for the FCC to come trick-or-treating;
they've voluntarily suspended operations while waiting for things to
quiet down.
The web page for Rebel Music Radio in Boston (105.3) displays only color
bars and the words "Sorry it had to happen...we're off the air."  Also
off the air is Radio Free Chelmsford, 88.3, according to its web site.

The battle between the pirates and the FCC is far from over; Provizer
is already getting assistance from the ACLU in his case and he's
promising to see things all the way through in court.
We'll keep you posted...

( Scott Fybush - NorthEast Radio Watch  )
			**********************
RADIO FREE LONDON SW:

Thanks for the e-mails to those of you that have sent them.
Thanks also to Mr Tracy for pointing out that I got
the URL wrong for the RFL web site. It should be the following
http://193.63.162.100/gh/sw/RFL.htm

We will soon be editing down our station address book and removing those
who do not respond. This will take place soon and all mail will be sent
from the new address
 				RFLsw@xxxxxxx
from the end of November.

( AW - RFLSW )
			**************************

PIRATES IN THE PRESS:

In yesterday's ( Sunday Nov 2nd 1997 ), UK national newspaper
"The Mail on Sunday"
there was an two page article about landbased pirates.
The main message was that the pirate stations are taking away
listeners from the legal commercial stations as most of their ratings
have fallen, and prove that the young are increasingly switching to
the pirate stations.

The article features Magic FM, a London based station but it also
mentions that Dream FM caused problems to Heathrow airport and
Radio Free London took their power from a motorway sign.

It's a big piece and as you can see RFL gets another mention in the
press, but this time in one of the biggest selling Sunday papers in the
UK.
( AW - 3/11/97 )
			***********************
DO YOU HAVE THESE ??

I am looking for used copies of some back issues of the Radio Nuevo
Mundo publication "LA DXing" to purchase.  I am seeking these issues,
which were lost in a move a couple of years ago:

LA DXing #1
LA DXing #2
LA DXing #4, and
LA DXing #5

If you have any of these old editions that you would be willing to sell
or trade for other radio station memorabilia, contact me at the E-mail
address below.

73,

J.D. Stephens
jdstephens@xxxxxxxx
			************************
ILGRADIO:

This most up-to-date Shortwave Frequency Database includes all
shortwave stations in Frequency Order (2300 - 30000 kHz)on 28
data fields. There are more than 13000 data sets available.
All current schedules are included effective for the Winter
1997/98 (w98)broadcasting season. Software for DOS/WIN included.
A second file includes more than 1300 addresses, fax and phone
numbers of  shortwave stations.

This full version is available for prime costs 10 US$ by cash:
http://www.ilg.nexus.org/

There is also the ILGRadio Frequency List in the HTML format
available with the fields Frequency,Station,Location,Power,Country.

A FREE copy (evaluation copy) of the old Summer 1997 ILRadio
with Database and Software can also be downloaded from this site.

ILGRadio also publishes the World Wide Web Directory with links
to web pages of approx. 6000 radiostations of the world.
Usefull Hobby Links and Links to Radio and Antenna Companies
are also included.

Try to test it out!
			*******************

On the pirate front: NERW hears from Mike Malone of the late "WDOA"
(89.3 Worcester) that the FCC agents who shut the station down last week
told him they were operating under orders from the highest levels of the
FCC -- new chairman Bill Kennard flexing his muscle, perhaps?
Speculation in the pirate community is that the FCC is using pirates'
web pages to find them; could that be why the Rebel Music Radio page
at http://www.shore.net/~radio has disappeared, while the
supposedly-silent Boston pirate at 105.3 was still being heard late
last week by at least one NERW reader?

And meantime, Cambridge city council candidate Ian McKinnon turned to
pirate radio for his campaign, running "Radio Free Cambridge" from a
local art gallery during the weekend leading up to Election Day. A
confusing (or should that be just plain confused?) article in the
Cambridge TAB explained how the station began broadcasting Sunday
night...then went on to say "no frequency has been chosen for the
station."  Perhaps operating a radio station with no frequency was
what doomed McKinnon's election bid; he drew only 264 votes, falling
far behind the nine incumbents, all of whom won re-election without
benefit of pirate radio.

And we hear an unlicensed station was visited by the FCC in the
Wolfeboro area; supposedly the college students running the 1680 kHz
operation thought they were legal.

*One other bit of CONNECTICUT news: we hear the religious pirate in
Hartford, Praise 105.3, is still on the air, FCC busts or no...NERW
guesses they're counting on a "higher authority" to save them.

(  via North-East Radio Watch 11/5 )
			*******************
MEDI DX:

Hello to all,
This is to inform you that the MEDI DX GROUP has renewed all its home
pages. A new more comprehensive design has been built and new
features are coming...A Mediterranean active map will be ready in a few
weeks in orden to give accurate information on LW/MW. First link to
be activated will be SPAIN with the official Spanish MW Station List
with REAL powers (when known) and up-to-date regional and local slots
of SER, COPE, RNE/R1 and RNE/R5 networks, full ID names of the radio
services and situation of Txers (village and province). This will be the
Spanish MW List v 1.0. and will be updated regularly with additional
information.

Please, feel free to visit it at:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4847

73, Peace and DX
Juan Antonio Arranz

Thats it for another week - Don't Forget RADIO SAN MARINO INT
It is your last chance to hear a "Pirate" test from this Republic - we
Will
be trying to get it Again. - Good luck to RSMI from KIWI Radio and
SOUNDWAVE FM.

73's

Graham J Barclay
KIWI RADIO - NEW ZEALAND