DX LOG FROM:
HORACIO A. NIGRO

<hanigro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Snail-Mail:
Canelones 1146,
11100 Montevideo,
URUGUAY
RIG: Grundig Yacht Boy 400 + Randomwire 25 m long

S.Am Pirates

6980L R. Cochiguaz 1911 ID's and Andean mx. "Desde algun lugar del Altiplano
la senal de R.Cochiguaz, siempre internacional". QRK 5
      R. Free Latin American Station 2030 some problems with modulation till
2033, when reciting by man of what I presume it was a text from Uruguayan
writer Eduardo Galeano, maybe from "Memorias del Fuego" re. the drama of the
Latin American colonization since Columbus to this continent. Also mx hrd by
Daniel Viglietti and others. ID by woman.
      Jolly Roger Radio Int'l (relay of this Irish pirate via R. Cochiguaz)
s/on at 1900. (Previously, 3 minutes of a string of beating drums which is
the Uruguayan "candombe" that Cochiguaz uses as its IS). ID + addr in SP/EG
using ICAO phonetic codification for Waterford. Flutes mx. QRN starts to
bother at this hour and rains very strong in Montevideo. The electric
thunderstorm is very strong and I hav to pull the AC plugs of all my rig
here. I resume with...
      Radio Blandengue 0008 with LAm mx and ID. QRK4/5 but soon some voice
ute adjacent to the channel produces some QRM.

My personal opinion on these pirate activities is that except for overseas
DXers, to hear mx by ssb and suffering a moderate to strong QRN leaves no
much listening to enjoy. I would prefer talk radio programmes to listen from
these pirates.  Another thing I would be interested to learn to is which
other stns, legally transmitting on this fq, are eventually suffering QRM
from this illegal operations. Maybe a fellow with one of those complete fqcy
databases contained on CD-ROM can provide more illustration on this. (Nigro,
December 6)

=======

BEST 73 de
Horacio A. Nigro,