[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME TWELVE - NUMBER TWO

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME TWELVE - NUMBER TWO

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER. NEW ZEALAND.-------

EDITOR: Graham J Barclay.
Phone: 0064-6-835-9106.
Fax:     0064-6-835-9186.
Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW site 1: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885
WWW site 2: http://www.lls.se/jal/fr/kiwi.html

This page is sponsored by: SRS-News - Sweden.
	           http://www.lls.se/jal/links.html
and                 http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html

			VOLUME TWELVE - NUMBER TWO

December 14th 1997

Hello Again Dxer's and Radio Friends.

Well with Christmas only 11 Days away, it does tell you one thing
and that is that time travels fast - even faster when you get older!!.

Onto other news items received this week:

			**********************

FREE RADIO INFO IS UP !

The european website with infos, QSL-Pictures, sounds and much more.
SRSnews are translated into German and emphasisis on German and European
stations.
Take a journey into the free radio world.

The new URL is:
http://members.aol.com/frifffr

( via Achim Brueckner - <frfreak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
			***************

RADIO FREE LONDON SW NEWS:

RFL will be on the air all Christmas week for 9 days non-stop from
Saturday 20th Dec to Sunday 28th Dec on 5805kHz, giving Europe a week
long 24 hour free radio service. Also plans are being made to broadcast
on New Years Eve, Dec 31st and New Years day Jan 1st.

Two of London's leading ILR stations, Capital Gold 1548am and Heart
106.0, have been "ripping off" sketches from the Tony Randall show. Both
stations have been heard using characters and sketches from the
programme on their popular morning shows. Does this mean they were
listening to our AM service or do they listen on shortwave???

RFL has been given a professional transmitter which can do around 1kw of
power and our top engineer is working on it at this moment.

( via AW - RFLSW )
			*******************

Operators Manual for the Pro-2027
http://support.tandy.com/support_electronics/doc18/18552.htm

PRO-2027 Specifications about the scanner.  Including all the bands that
it can cover, sensitivity, scanning rate, search rate and other stats
about the PRO-2027
http://support.tandy.com/support_electronics/doc18/18554.htm

Understanding the Display of the 2026/2027
http://support.tandy.com/support_electronics/doc18/18553.htm

PRO-2027 Technical Documents
http://support.tandy.com/support_electronics/18555.htm

Information about Birdies and other stuff with the PRO-2027
http://support.tandy.com/support_electronics/doc18/18550.htm

Typical Band Ussage
http://support.tandy.com/support_electronics/doc18/18551.htm

This Page covers many differnet scanners  Including PRO-57, PRO-58,
PRO-59 , PR0-508,  PRO-2002, PRO-2004,PRO-2005,PRO-2006, PRO-2035,
PRO-2009, PRO-2011, PRO-2020, PRO-2021, PRO-2022, PRO-2023, PRO-2024,
PRO-2025, PRO-2026, PRO-2027, PRO-2028, PRO-2029, PRO-2030 AND MANY
MORE! CHECK IT OUT!.

http://w5gb.nmsu.edu/kc5kto/base.html
http://support.tandy.com/support_electronics/2849.htm

My Homepage - http://www.jet2.net/~jbaillie
ICQ UIN - 4016080

Under United States law, it is unlawful "to use any telephone facsimile
machine, computer, or other device to send an unsolicited advertisement"
http://www.ca-probate.com/faxlaw.htm

Canadian laws against spam:
http://www.stopspam.org/usenet/mmf/laws/canada.html

A service of Netizens Against Gratuitous Spamming
http://www.nags.org/
http://antispam.org/
		^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have made a web-site for FRG-100 users and SWLs
with useful links.

http://home.sol.no/~la2daa

73's Thor LA2DAA.

CAT-control for FRG-100 and Shortwave links.

( via "B.K" < k70n@xxxxxxx> )
			*******************
RADIO PROJECT ONE:

Radio Project One has been founded in November 1997 quite
spontanously. After the trouble in the FR scene (all the Fake-stations
and so on) Radio Project One wanted to give proof, that there is still
effective cooperation in
Germany.
The premier bc was scheduled for January 1998, but has been done earlier
due to different reasons on December 07, 1997.
The team consists of 5 sations now :
Radio Free Willy with alternative sounds
Freestyle Radio with hardrock, blues, country and Irish songs
Radio Orchid with house, techno and actualities
Star Club Radio with Oldies
Radio Driland.

The cooperation with Radio Driland will only start in summer 98.

It is intended to make one broadcast per season.
The transmissions will be normally broadcast via an own tx-chaine,
every OP has its own HF-generator. The queque of the transmission will
be determined by random. Radio Project One sees itself as an only
German FR.project and desires the participation of more stations. We
are NOT the successor of Level 48 and not a competitor to Level 48,
but in our opinion a further project like this will certainly have
good chances. The reaction to listeners letters is up to the station
OP's, that has the advantage of being quite fast with the letters.
Every rr with enough return postage will be answered. Radio Project
One can be raeched via the SRS-drop box in Ytterby.

Radio Project One   Oestra Porten 29, S-44254 Ytterby, Sweden

			********************

NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE - December 8th 1997:

Dear Reader,
I was surprised to read the following comment from William Kennard,
chairman of the FCC...

"I am personally very concerned that we have more outlets for
expressions over the airwaves...I have made it a point of my tenure here
as chairman to try to spotlight the fact that the broadcast industry is
consolidating at a very rapid pace. And as a result of this, there are
fewer opportunities of entry by minority groups, community groups,
small businesses in general. And I'm very interested in hearing ideas
to remedy the unfortunate closing of opportunities for a lot of
new entrants."

I am quoting from today's New York Times article by Julie Lew.

Here's my two cents...These comments are very encouraging, but I am so
sceptical...
Can we trust the FCC to suddenly become warm and cuddly? It wasn't
that long ago they were busting down the door at Doug Brewer's house,
with a big SWAT team!

What do you think? I'd really like to know! -Paul

( via <Paul_W._Griffin@xxxxxxxx>
			******************

AM PIRATE STATION:

R. Metallica Worldwide- 6955U 1652 12/6/97 SIO=353. I almost never
report logs of QSO's, but I make an exception here because of the news
in QSO content. In an unusual USB QSO, Dr. Tornado of this stn ancd that
he plans to bcst on 1640 kHz Christmas Eve w/his high powered 10 Kw xmtr
de the boat off the Atlantic Coast.
BRS addr.

NOTE: This is 1640 kHz.  Which may very well be heard in North America!

 ( via Fred R Vobbe )
To send a private message to me, send to: gnbc@xxxxxxxxx
Post Office Address: Box 5031, Lima OH 45802-5031 USA
			**************

FOR SALE:       Drake SW-8 for sale $400

Excellent conditon..original version, NOT SELECTABLE SYNC (but ECCS
reception with USB/LSB just as good in my opinion) Book, Box (I think).
It is a little later version in that the UP/DOWN buttons go in 5khz
increments on SW Broadcast, and 10khz on AM BCB. Works great, and hard
to find better audio with a built in speaker. Please email direct if
interested.

Tim < timcook@xxxxxxxxxx>
			****************

  FOR SALE: Drake R-8

  From:      <kg5un@xxxxxxxx >(Ed S Maikranz)

I have an excellent Drake R-8 for sale.  It has all the original box,
and
book with it as well as a service manual.  Looks and plays great, but I
need to scale down a bit.
Asking $600 shipped or trade for other gear.

Thanks,
Ed
			**********************

TRADING POST:

The Trading Post is a place your can read or post amateur radio, scanner
or shortwave equipment. Items will be posted for 30 days or depending
upon the amount of post on the board. Be sure to include any contact
information and a honest description of your gear for sale.

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=7181

Spread the word and thanks,

Kyle < wa4pgm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
			*******************
RADIO LONDON / E.A.P:

EAP are to bring back Radio London, but this time
it's going to be in London's St.Catherines Dock. The
station plans to broadcast on 1503kHz from a ship
called the "Ocean Defender" belived to be a former
Whaling ship.

The planned on air date is said to be Wednesday 17th
Dec and the licence will run for 28 days. It is belived that
the transmitter will be based on the ship and it is the same
one used in the summer.

EAP have a warehouse full of CDs, Books, Videos etc
that it hopes to sell while it is on the air as they have not
sold at all well to date.

( via AW - RFLSW )
			*************************
RADIO ID JINGLES and OFFSHORE MATERIAL.
The CD is produced by the Dutch Society Radio Jingles and Themes.
Note: we are non commercial!!

In case you already know, please throw away this message.
In case you are interested, read this:

THE HISTORY OF THE OFFSHORE JINGLES
AVAILABLE ON COMPACT DISC

"The history of offshore jingles" is the
title of an English language CD. It tells the unique
story of how jingles migrated from the United States to Europe.
This documentary is the first to put all the pieces together and
has been produced by the Society Radio Jingles and Themes,
based in the Netherlands.

The CD lasts a full 65 minutes, and explains how jingles
really got a foothold in Europe with the start of offshore
commercial broadcasting. After World War 2, jingles were quite
often heard on commercial radio stations in the United States.
But it wasn't until the end of the fifties that jingles made it
into Europe. Contrary to popular belief in radio circles, the
first radio station to air jingles on the European continent
was not pirate "Radio Veronica", but the Scandinavian
station Radio Nord.

The documentary has countless hi-quality examples of jingles
originally produced in the United States (mainly by PAMS), but later
edited by the European offshore stations for their own use.
Some of the jingles are from production masters which never aired!
The story is narrated by the distinctive voice of Keith Skues,
well-known for his presenting work for Radio London, BBC Radio One,
BFBS, as well as commercial and BBC Local Radio.
Unlike some other previous productions, this CD has been produced
with the special permission of the legendary jingle-producer
PAMS Productions Inc. of Dallas, Texas, USA. "The History of
Offshore Jingles, Part One" is only available by mail order
for a limited period.

The price of this Compact Disc (including international post &
packaging)
USA: US$16.00
England: 12 English Pounds
Germany: 30 DM
The Netherlands: 30 Guilders

The CD is ONLY available through the
Society for Radio Jingles and Themes.

Payment should be by cash or international money order.
Sorry, we cannot accept personal cheques. Send your money
(by registered mail) to:

Society for Radio Jingles and Themes
Jelle Boonstra
Maaslaan 72
8033 DP ZWOLLE
The Netherlands

Don't forget to include your full name and address. The CD
will be despatched within 14 working days. We hope you'll agree
that this production is a unique collector's item

If you wanna know more about us, please have a look at our
web-pages called JINGLEWEB.

www.jingle.wise.nl

Thanks for your attention.

Benno Roozen
Society Radio Jingles and Themes
The Netherlands
			**********************

Basic Japanese Radio collecting, Part 5

JAPANESE TYPE 94-6 RADIOS
By: LTC William L. Howard
[  the following was orignaly published in:
                "The Military Collector Post"
an Email Daily Magazine devoted to the preservation
of History & the Radio's that made it.]
			===================

In the period following WW I, considerable progress was made
in the development of radios.  The Japanese, especially the
military, followed developments with a great deal of interest.
In 1934, the Japanese ground forces adopted several radios
as standard equipment. 1934 on the Basic Japanese calander
was 2594, usually abbreviated as 94, hence the designation
Type 94 -  indicating it was adopted in 1934.

The most commonly encountered sets are the Type 94-5
transmitters and receivers,(See Articles in the April 1994 and
the Feb  1995 issues of ELECTRIC RADIO), the Type 94-3A
and Type 94-3C transmitters and receivers and the Type 94-6
transceiver.  The Type 94-6 was a small compact set that
used one tube, a double diode and a circuit that has been
described as a "rush box".  Power for reception came from a
battery pack and power for transmitting came from a hand
cranked generator.

The earliest example found of one of these sets was
manufactured in January 1935.  It operated on one band,
had one tuning capacitor, one filament rheostat and a
regeneration control mounted on the top of the set in
addition to a socket for connection of two headset/throat
microphones and an RF meter.  Other controls were on the side
and consisted of the transmit/receive switch which was a lever
switch and a toggle switch which is the voice/tone switch and
the built-in CW key.  Below the key was a connection for the
power cable from the generator which supplied the required
3 volts and 150 volts.  On the opposite side was the power plug
that connected the set to the battery pack for use during reception
and supplied the required 3 volts and 135 volts.  On what must
be considered the front of the set as it hung down around the
neck was another socket into which a special two prong plug fit.
To this plug were fastened an antenna rod and a counterpoise
rod.

The set was housed in a thin walled metal case with a cover
that could be opened to reveal access to the controls on the
top as well as two charts,one for calibration and one which
had a schematic diagram and parts list.

This set was then carried in a leather case and hung from the
operators neck when in use.

After a number of years, experience showed that the one band
was not enough to provide adequate coverage and the set was
modified to cover three bands.
This meant three coils instead of one and a band switch to
move from band to band.  Rather than develop a completly new
radio, the Japanese re-designed the set to make maximum use
of existing manufacturing processes.

The filament rheostat was moved closer to the outside cover
to make room for the band selector switch.  The band selector
switch was not a rotary switch but more on the order of lever
switches controlled by a rotary cam.

The next major problem was where to put two more coils.
This was solved by moving the battery pack plug socket down to
the bottom of the same side.
One or two other parts were moved around and now there was
room for the other two coils.  It is this later version that was
captured in some quantity by allied forces and became the
subject of a U.S. Army technical manual and a very excellent
article done by Dick Rollema, PAOSE, the Netherlands titled
"Japan's Hush-Hush Rushbox" which appeared in the March
1986 issue of 73 for Radio Amateurs.  According to Dick, his
set was manufactured in June 1940.

To determine the date of manufacture, the Japanese went to a
different system, this time using the year of the Showa Reign.
Emperor Hirohito ascended the throne in 1925 so anything
made in 1926 would have a year of manufacture of 1. 1935
manufactured sets show the year as 10 and 1940 would
show a manufacture year as 15.
The months in Japan are the same as the rest of the world with
January being shown as 1 and December being shown as 12.
Usually the Japanese is written from right to left.

For further analysis of the set, one should read Dick's article
or consult the U.S. Army Technical Manual on the Set.
In addition to the earlier set,another item has surfaced and this
is a canvas bag labled as Type 94-6 Wireless Set, Antenna Bag.
All models had a leather case that housed the battery pack and
also had a small pouch for the accessories, to include the
headset / throat mike and power cords. Both the canvas bag
and the leather accessory pack are rare items and seldom are
found.  When found, they are usually not with the radio.
The metal and fibre board case that housed the batteries is also
a rare item and I have never seen one of these.  The three band
version of the Type 94-6 is commonly found but very few of the
earlier single band sets seem to have survived the war.
If you should ever find one, try to obtain it as it is a rare set.

Parts list for Japanese Type 94-6 three band set.

1  Antenna connection             17 Metal can capacitor
2  Counterpoise connector       18 250 ohm wire wound resistor
3  RF meter                              19 Transformer  1:20
4  Mica capacitor 450 1500      20 Transformer
5  Coil                                       21 Mica capacitor 450 1500
6  Variable capacitor                22 CW key assembly
7  Mica capacitor 450 1500      23 Tone/Voice toggle switch
8  Mica Capacitor 450 1500     24 Headphones/mike socket
9  Coil                                       25 Generator power socket
10 Regeneration control 29K   26 Battery plugs connection
11 RFC                                     27 Mica capacitor 4500 1500
12 Mica capacitor 450 1500     28 Carbon resistor
13 Mica Capacitor 450 1500    29 Band switch
14 Tube socket                        30 Coil
15 Transmit/receive switch      31 Coil (mounted on # 9)
16 Filament rheostat               32 Mica capacitor 450 1500

These sets came two per transport chest.
The transport Chest held the
following items:
TRANSPORT CHEST FOR TYPE 94 - 6 RADIOS

The Type 94 - 6 radios were transported in wooden
chest.  The chest held two complete radio sets with all
accessories.  The chest was organized as shown below.
The designations of compartments A, B, C, etc is my own
designation and not the Japanese.

A                                            Drawer B	C
_________________________________
Compartment D	=20
Compartment  E

Compartment  F	Compartment  =

Compartment  H	Compartment  I

Compartments A and  C:  Contained the Type 21 E Hand
cranked Generator.

Compartment  D and E :  Contained the Type 94 - 6 Radio,
Mark 32 Transmitter , case and  a UZ 30 Tube. one other item,
believed to be the the antenna and counterpoise connector.

Compartment F and G:  Contained the Accessory pack which
held the battery box, 6 Type B-18 22 1/2 Batteries,
   2 -1.5 volt filament batteries,
   2 Type J Headset / throat mikes,
   1- UZ 30 MC tube,
   2 - items, I could not translate which I
believe are the battery cables and plugs.
Too big

to fit in the compartments but stored on top over both
compartments were the Canvas Antenna Bag with one
Antenna rod(4sections, joined) and the Counterpoise rods
(2 sections, joined)

Compartments H and I:  These each contained 6 spare
B- 18 B batteries ( 2 1/2 volts) and 2 spare  1 1/2 volt
filament batteries.

Drawer B: Detailed list of contents on the next page

The pull out  drawer contained the following items in the quantity
indicated.:

Unidentified item
(4)* Screws (10=)
3mm/25mm (5 ea)
2.6/15mm  (5 ea)
Generator Maintenance kits (2) Screws (10) 3mm-2.6mm  (5 ea)
unidentified item(2) items 10 meters long.Screws (10) 3mm
2.6mm (5 ea) unknown item 2XB	(1)	unknown item (1)
Screws (10) 3mm 2.6mm  (5 ea)
unknown item(1)unknown item (1)Unknown item(1)
UZ 30 MC tubes(2)unknown item(1)	 Unknown item
(4) Unknown (1)

The following items are known to be associated with these sets
and have not been identified somewhere else.

Generator brushes (4) - part of generator maintenance kit
Oil Cans(2) - part of generator maintenance kit
Battery cables, 2 per set Generator cable 1 per set
Technical Manual(s) Antenna wires( rubber covered wires
that can be used with a short bamboo stick. (2)
Antenna/counterpoise connector 1 per set

The following items were contained in the chest according to the
photographs supplied:
Small volt meter, used to check the generator (1)
and two leads (2).
Three documents
Small paper satchel (probably contained screws)
Two four pin plugs for the headset/throat mikes (2)
1 item(appears to be a wire wound rheostat)
Small metal container with paper label
(Could be nuts for the screws)

* I have used the term screws very loosely.  There are
apparently two thread pitches 3 mm and 2.6 mm.
Screws are also 15 mm and 25 mm in length.
There are also nuts, lock washers, etc included in the
generic term screws
I am currently waiting for a better translation of the
contents list.

What is this set currently worth.  Based on prices paid, prices
that I have been told that people paid for items or just a general
feel for what things should cost, I have compiled the following
list of items that make up the set and the approximate value
of the items.

The Japanese Type 94-6 Transceiver
What is this set worth?
1998
This set is the smallest of the WW II Japanese sets that can
be found even today.  It was a "neat" war souvenier and was
small enough that it could be easily transported in a G.I.'s
duffle bag. These sets can be found in varying conditions
and with varying accessories.  Prices range from a low of $12.00
at an auction to $1700.00 paid by a Japanese collector.  With
this range, I have attempted to establish some values.

Type 94-6 Transceiver with original tube in near mint condition
with all accessories to include the hand-cranked generator,
accessory pack      $1700.00
Type 94-6 Transceiver, chassis only, no tube with broken meter
$  35.00
Type 94-6 Transceiver in case, missing T/R switch $  50.00
Type 94-6 Transceiver in case, less data plates $ 300.00
Type 94-6 Transceiver, in case, with tube, no damage $ 500.00
Leather or rubberized canvas carrying case $  40.00
Accessories
Type 21 F Hand-cranked generator, operational,
no damage and with all data plates and power cord $ 350.00
Type 21 F Hand-cranked Generator, damaged or missing
parts, cables, data plates         $ 200.00
Generator Maintenance kit, un-issued  $ 100.00
Headset/throat mike, complete, good condition $ 365.00
Headset/throat mike in poor condition or missing any
parts      $  25.00
Battery cables and plugs (Rare item)  $  50.00
Accessory pack, leather pack which holds battery box,
less the battery box and accessories (Rare item)    $ 125.00
Accessory Pack, with battery container,
in unissued condition     $ 250.00
Battery box by itself    $ 50-$75
Antenna and counterpoise rods  $ 150.00
Antenna/counterpoise connector (Two prong plug)  $  35.00
Antenna bag, less than perfect condition   $  20.00
TB Sig E ____ U.S. Army manual on the set(Photocopy)$  25.00
TB SigE  Original copy	$  35.00
Seldom does one find a complete set with all the accessories.
The generators and the other accessories show up from time to
time but they are hard to find.  The set derives its value from
being complete.  An extremely rare set that must have been a
pilot model  which was built in the mid 1930's and did not have
the band switch or filament rheostat and had the battery and
generator sockets in a different location was recently seen so
they too are out there. For those not familiar with the history of
technical intelligence in WW II, there was a program called the
JAPLATE Programme which required that all data plates from
captured equipment be sent to Washington, D.C. so that
economic intelligence could ascertain who was making what
and how many were being made.  While economic intelligence
found this useful, it rendered the technical intelligence company
unable to determine what models had what changes.
This accounts for the number of sets that are missing data plates.

( via William Howard )

That's it for another week - Good DXing etc.

73's

Graham J Barclay
KIWI RADIO - NEW ZEALAND
Email: kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx