[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME TWELVE - NUMBER THREE

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME TWELVE - NUMBER THREE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER. NEW ZEALAND.-------

EDITOR: Graham J Barclay.
Phone: 0064-6-835-9106.
Fax:     0064-6-835-9186.
Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW site 1: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885
WWW site 2: http://www.lls.se/jal/fr/kiwi.html

This page is sponsored by: SRS-News - Sweden.
	           http://www.lls.se/jal/links.html
and                 http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html

			VOLUME TWELVE - NUMBER THREE

December 21st 1997

			***********************

USA - AM PIRATE:
DEC 14th

Just had a phone call from Bill Harms over near Baltimore reporting
a pirate on 1620 kHz.  Station is 20 over here on the north sloper
so probably up in the New York/New Jersey area somewhere.  Playing
Christmas music, mixture of religious and pop, "IDing" as "This is
your AM radio test" between selections.  Very informative.  With a
signal like this it won't take the FCC long to shut this down.

Whoever this was they signed off at about 1746Z.  Their sign-off
announcement was no more informative than their "IDs" during the
program.  Speculation.  It has already been announced that there
will be a Christmas Eve broadcast from a "offshore station" -
could this possibly have been them testing?

Editorial Comment:  Any radio station, legal or otherwise that
would play "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and "The Little Drummer
Boy" - certifiably the two most obnoxious Christmas songs ever
written back to back deserves whatever it gets.  FCC - please bust
these turkeys quick!

73/DX

Al
( via "W.A. Merriman" <merriman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   and  Fred Vobbe <gnbc@xxxxxxxxx> )
			***********************

HCJB:

Got some news concerning HCJB....ex DX Partyline 13/12
John Decker and Ken McHarg interview.
Starts relay from the UK on January 1st 1998.
1700-1800  Uzbek Tadjik Central Asia 7175
1800-1900  Russian Ukrainian 6150
2100-2200  Arabic to north Africa  6090
Qsls requests to Quito not to London

( via  John Wright <dxer@xxxxxxxxx> )
			*********************

USA MICRO-BROADCASTING;

Radio Mutiny have been shut down by the FCC. They would like everyone to
phone zap the FCC on December 15th. Anyway, I told Dylan I would pass on
his message, so here it is...

Just got out of the first meeting with the beginnings of our legal team.
It includes Larry Krasner, a criminal defense lawyer, Stefan Presser
>From the ACLU and Nolan Bowie, a Temple U law professor who used to do
a  great deal of litigation with the FCC. We may also have a
representative of the firm that won the internet first amendment case
last year in  Philadelphia.
We feel very lucky to have found such a great team to support us. Having
assembled a team and recieved a warning letter, we're
not quite sure of our next step. There seem to be a myriad of legal
possibilities - none of them overwhelmingly hopeful. What does everyone
think of these possibilities:
1) An offensive legal strategy versus a defensive one- perhaps a civil
rights lawsuit or getting involved in the rulemaking process or what
have you. It seems like we are already fated to a defensive one, having
recieved a letter, and with the FCC  hot on our trail - we got a second
visit in response to our media coverage in the past week. Still, what
are our possibilities in this area. We've heard that there is a public
comment period coming up for the FCC soon - what are the possibilities
for that.
2)Are there novel legal arguments that weren't around at the time of the
Dunifer case that we should be bringing in, along with the existing FRB
arguments, to cast a wider net?

3) At this point, how should we respond to their warning letter?
We've seen what memphis did - any other ideas to add to or improve on
that? Is there a legalised version of that sort of letter floating
around?

4)At this point, should we apply for a licence - or send them something
like the Texas station sent in, along with a check for $25? The Texas
station sent them a defiant letter, announcing their intentions to
broadcast and giving what they thought was an appropriate fee. Is there
a version of that on the Internet some where that we can pull down and
Email to our lawyers?

5)What's our movement's political strategy at the moment? In addition
to calling in to the FCC on December 15th, a good target might be the
Senate Committee on Commerce- a Senator McCain from Arizona, or Feingold
from Wisconsin. Might be a good focus - anyone know anything about this?
Also a house sub-committee on communications - both of these committees
seem to have some oversight power of the FCC - the congress members on
these might be the most effective place to put some energy. We like the
idea of the national teach-in and so on.

 Pete Tridish, Radio Mutiny

P.S. - The toll-free number for the FCC is (888) 225-5322.
The mailing address is FCC, 1919 M St. NW, Washington, DC 20554

(  via Paul_W._Griffin@xxxxxxxx (Paul W. Griffin)
			********************

RADIO SAN MARINO INTERNATIONAL:

Just to remember our official opening brodcast, next week-end, from
Saturday afternoon December 20th to Sunday afternoon December 21st 1997
on SW from the Republic of San Marino.
More details on our site.
Good listening !

Radio San Marino International
----------------------------
http://www.exactweb.com/RSMI
RSMI@xxxxxxxxxxxx
------------------------
				********************

Basic Collection of Japanese Radios, Part 6

By: LTC William L.Howard
[ The following was originaly published in:
		"The Military Collector Post"
an Email Daily Magazine devoted to the preservation
of History & The Radio's that made it.]

The Japanese Type 94-5 Wireless Station,

The Type 94 - 5 was considered the Company and
Battalion level sets. The Battalion signal company would send
a radio team down to each company to provide communication
back to the battalion.  The battalion also used the sets to stay
in touch with  regimental headquarters. The set was transported
in two chests. I have never seen the No 2 chest but assume
there must have been one. The No 1 Chest held the transmitter,
the receiver and the accessory bag.  It is assumed the No 2
held the generator and everything else.

This station is made up of a receiver, a transmitter,
a hand cranked generator and related accessories.
The transmitter is a small, one tube set, powered by a hand
cranked generator.  A detailed analysis of the set was done by
Ken Lakin in Electric Radio Magazine. Ken got the set on the
air using a US type 19 tube, which has a 1.5 volt filament
rather than the 6 volt UZ 12 C tube, which is a very rare tube.
He also used a power supply as he did not have a hand cranked
generator. Even with the generator, I doubt he could have talked
his wife into cranking it!  This also explains why most GI's did
not bother to bring home the generators, a major factor
in the high cost of finding a generator today!

Ken also got a Type 94 - 5 receiver that was out of the
case and in very poor condition.  He did a marvelous job of
restoring the set, probably more work  than anyone else would
consider doing.  This set was also described in an article in
Electric Radio.  I can not say very much more than Ken
about the technical aspects of the set.  This set was one of the
sets that was the subject of a technical bulletin in WW II as it
was felt that these sets could be used by U.S. personnel to
supplament their own communication systems.

The transmitter is a 5 watt transmitter and the range
is adequate for it's intended purpose. For HAM radio use,
it will reach out but does not have the range the more powerful
sets have. By comparison, a Citizens Band radio, which is limited
to 5 watts has a range of about 5 miles in a mobile unit, more
when operating a base station. With a good antenna system, the
range is increased considerably.

Seldom does one find these sets together.  You may be
lucky and find  the receiver and then go looking for the
transmitter or as was the case with Ken Lakin, find the
transmitter first and then go looking for the receiver.
These sets came in metal cases which had leather side flaps
and top and bottom flaps.  In many cases, the GI who brought
the set home, cut the leather flaps off as it makes the set easier
to use and easier to display on a shelf., however it cuts down
the value considerably.
The first set I got had the leather flaps cut off. After
that, I picked up sets with leather flaps. I was very fortunate to
get both receiver and transmitter and accessory case in the
transport chest along with numerous accessories.  Interestingly
enough both transmitter and receiver had matching serial
numbers, a rare find. Both transmitters and receivers had
carrying slings and were also fitted with hooks for a back pack.
Shortly after this set came in, another transport chest was
located but the inner compartment dividers were removed.
I have been fortunate to find almost all of the accessories for
these sets, but am still looking for a generator and the power
cable.  I was loaned a generator by Lou Demers for study
so have many excellent photos of the generator. I also made
up some power cables but have yet to find a genuine one.

WHAT IS THIS SET WORTH??
Japanese Type 94-5 Radio Set
In 30 years of collecting military relics, I had never seen any
Japanese radios. In 1987 I found one Type 94-5 receiver.
Then in 1992 these sets began to show up all over.  Military
shows, Radio Magazines and the Internet.  As a result, I have
established the following guide lines for establishing a fair value
for these sets
Type 94-5 Receiver in near mint condition
= $350.00
Less the leather flaps, deduct	=-$ 50.00
Less operational tubes at $20.00 per tube
= $ 60.00
Damaged Case:
Visible damage, deduct $ 30.00 per item
This includes missing hinges, data plates, extra holes
Invisible Damage
- $ 20.00 per item
This includes missing battery cables, missing battery plug
Damaged Receiver
Missing a control dial or knob
-$ 30.00
Missing a major component, capacitor, rheostat ,panel
-$40 to -$50 per item
Missing a major, non panel component such as transformers
-$20.00  per item.
Missing a minor component, resistor, capacitor
-$5  to -$10 per item.
Receiver only, complete, no case
$75.00
Type 94-5 Transmitter in near mint condition
$300.00+
With original UZ 12 C tube with good filament, add
$ 82.00
Less Leather Flaps, deduct
-  $ 50.00
Visible and invisible damage, same as for the receiver
It should be noted that these transmitters were rarely used by
 HAMs and seldom show any signs of damage.
They are usually missing the original tube and seldom have any
crystals.  They are relatively rare items, there being
about one transmitter for every three receivers.
Accessories for the Type 94-5 set
Transport case, complete with all shelves, holders and parts list
$200.00
Missing the shelves
$125.00
F19 Hand cranked generator (very rare item)
$325 to $500  =20
Generator Power cable (Another rare item)
$50 to $75
Headset/throat mike, complete, operational, with plug
$150.00
missing the mike or the plug
$ 25.00
Most of these have deteriorated cables, decomposed rubber
boots. Mike rubber straps are badly stretched. Headphones
usually do not register on continuity checks so test with a
9 volt battery.
Accessory bag ( A rare item)
$75.00
Key, with base, cable and plug
$75.00
Transfer cable, receiver to transmitter, with both 5 pin plugs
$50.00
Receiver bench test power  cable,usually found missing one end
$25.00
Antenna, antenna lead in, counterpoise wire,
These are rare items, get good documentation on these items
as any copper wire can be claimed as AOriginal@ and stuck
on bamboo insulators. $30.00 per item if documented
Seldom does one encounter the accessories and when found
may be cheaper because the owner does not know what they are.

( via William Howard )

			******************************

SOUTHERN MUSIC RADIO:

We have been advised that the NEW contact address
for New Zealand's SMR ( Southern Music Radio ) is now:

				SMR
				P O Box 1212
				Dunedin
				New Zealand

They also advise that the France address will now not be used
but will retain the USA Mail Drop.

SMR are also planning four "Legal"broadcasts during 1998,
( two via WRMI, and two via IRRS-SW ), and approx six
others via Free Radio stations around the world.

( Direct from SMR )
			*************************

RADIO FREE LONDON SW:

RADIO FREE LONDON will be on the air for the next
Nine days from Saturday 20th until Sunday 28th of December
with non-stop 24 hour broadcasting on 5805Khz SW

Saturday 20th Dec line up:

Adrian Cooke (2 hrs)
Andy Walker (1 hr)

We now have a new telephone number for you to ring in with your
reception reports 0961 800 894 This number will be available over most
of the Christmas week as well as our on air e-mail address of
RFLsw@xxxxxxx and our normal postal address of Box 99, First Floor
Suite, 253 Selhurst Road, London SE25 6XT

Europe's only 24 hour free radio service this Christmas