Re: [HCDX]: Kiwa MW Loop

MBay6969 wrote:

> Would one of you fellows who are more knowledgeable (than I -- most anyone!)
> please pass on the general (and any other kind for that matter) tuning
> procedure for this antenna. Also, please pass on any tips, hints, secrets,
> etc. on the use of this fine dxing tool.
>
> Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

As Ken Cornell stated in one of his articles describing the construction of a
regenerative loop, "If you've never used a regenerative amplified loop, you're
in for a treat. Weak signals seem to pop up from beneath noise."  The Kiwa
delivers, but it must be used right.

Set azimuth and tilt for the best results after rough tuning the target. The
most important rule is to use  minimum amplification to hear the desired signal
with regeneration set to just below the point of oscillation. You must
accurately tune the Kiwa  to the desired frequency. Coarse-tune the signal you
want, rotate the feedback control so that the Kiwa just slightly oscillates,
then use the fine tune control to zero-in on the signal for minimum feedback
noise or distortion (so that you don't hear the oscillation or it just slightly
warbles), now back off on the oscillation to the point where you can "hear" that
the setting is just below the point of oscillation. This is the Kiwa's most
sensitive and selective condition regardless of where the RF gain control is
set.

SLOWLY readjust both azimuth and tilt for better results if possible. The beauty
of the Kiwa is that it's easy to readjust these settings without affecting the
regeneration but if that becomes an issue, you can easily readjust the
regeneration setting.

More information can be obtained from reading Kiwa reviews (including my own
Proceedings review of the Kiwa). You can link from my page where you will find
an additional article link and other antenna information, or go directly to:

http://www.wolfenet.com/~kiwa/review.html

--
Regards,
Werner Funkenhauser