Re: [HCDX]: Re: A Index & MW DXing

>> >While on the discussion of good MW conditions.. has anyone come up with any
>> >good theory on what conditions are likely to be like regarding the A
Index or
>> > in our case the K Index..
>>
>> I don't think the A index alone is a good indicator of reception as one
of the
>> best ever W Coast NA openings I've heard was when the A index was nigh on
100!

further to recent questions about the A-indices and stratospheric warming:

There have been a number of articles written over the years regarding
geomagnetic conditions and MW reception.  Try the National Radio Club
reprints by Gordon Nelson, particularly articles P1, P6 and P7.  The club
offers a number of  propagation and other articles .  A listing is available
from National Radio Club Publications Center, P.O. Box 164,  Mannsville, NY
13661-0164 U.S.A. for U.S. postage suitable for your location (they likely
take IRC's and US$ bills)

US$1 will get you a list of reprints from IRCA Reprints c/o Steve Ratzlaff,
1885 E Bayshore Rd Sp 90, E Palo Alto CA 94303.   Articles T26, T32, and T54
will be of interest particularly once you've read Nelson's early articles.

Stratospheric warming was covered in QST February 1997, page 76.  The author
is interested in amateur bands, so realize that stratwarms have a greater
effect the lower you go in frequency (i.e. MW).  The author refers to some
seminal earlier work on the subject.

Geomagnetic upsets have the most effect on trans auroral paths, many of
which are between Europe and North America, home to many DXers.  It does
seem that western North America to Australasia paths which are away from the
auroral zone benefit from increased geomagnetic activity.  But don't paths
from Australia to southern Africa cross the southern auroral zone?  Have
Aussies and Zedders observed what high A-indices do to those signals?

Hope this helps some folks.

best wishes

Nick

Nick Hall-Patch