Re: [HCDX]: Nay NA-station active on 1650 ?

Magnus Nilsson 2066 wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>         My lucky friends, on a dxpedition to the north of Sweden, would like
> to check if anybody know if a US-station has started to use 1650 kHz.
>
> Grateful for your help,  Magnus Nilsson

This item is from http://www.dxing.com/newsroom.htm

     KGXL Begins Regular Operations On 1650 kHz

     Literally minutes before the scheduled upload of this page to my
     server, I received the following e-mail from Rick Lewis of Phoenix,
     Arizona, concerning KGXL (note correct call letters), San Fernando,
     California, on 1650 kHz:

          "Hi, Harry,

          Rick Lewis here from Phoenix once again. KGXL appears to be
          officially on the air. Last night, Dec. 29, appears to have
          been its first night of full-time operation.

          Simulcasting with KGIL,with a format of Broadway show tunes.
          Gary Owens till 0300 UTC, then Florence Henderson (who does
          the most basic of voice tracks, identifying no songs). They
          also ran an announcement which said that the ---- (Culver
          City has one but I didn?t hear city name) pubic information
          station has moved to 1690, and to contact their fire
          department for further information.

          Still on after midnight, and this morning at 7 MST.?Rick"

     Thanks a million for the news, Rick! I had no idea Culver City was
     such a swinging place, judging by that station on 1690!

I myself logged the station the next night on December 30 UT. Here are the
details:

*1650 KGXL: at 0652 with an oldie vocal, spots at 0656 mentions of Ethel Mermam
Concert and ID with at least 3 KGXL mentions and  KGIL 1260 giving a PO  Box
(missed) into West Side Story soundtrack at 0658 w/out further ID at 0700. Weak
and deep in noise but understandable at times. Dec 30.
--
Regards,
Werner Funkenhauser