[HCDX]: Nicaraguan on 6621

NICARAGUA 6621.4 UNID 1117-1220 Weak and static-ridden, but best
reception yet of this apparent Nicaraguan stn. Mostly religious talk
and anmts and religious mx. One anmt about an event in "Yuscaran,
Honduras." Yuscaran is a rather pretty town about 75 km due west of
Jalapa, Nicaragua, the possible location for this station. Note that
a Honduran ancr would have just said Yuscaran. The addition of
"Honduras" implies that the station is not located in Honduras. Also
one mention of Jalapa heard, although the context was not clear. In
looking for Jalapa on the map for the first time, I saw just how
close it is to the Honduran border, in the remote mountains of
northern Nueva Segovia department. This department is very
conservative and was not particularly pro-Sandinista in the 1980s.
For this reason, it was a successful area for the Contra guerillas
and they usually controlled the mountains. They were based at huge
Contra camps around Las Trojes, just across the river in Honduras.
Peace Corps volunteers in the nearby Honduran departmental capital of
Danli were under strict orders not to go near Las Trojes. Anyway,
this station could be using an old anti-Sandinista clandestine
transmitter, as does Radio Miskut. Assuming this station is in
Jalapa, it is not the first SW station in Nueva Segovia. Some may
remember Radio Hernandez de Cordoba, a low power station on 6100 kHz
(if my memory is right) from Ocotal, the capital of Nueva Segovia. I
heard it several times in mid 1982, after my arrival in Honduras, but
never afterwards. My reception reports went unanswered. This was a
Roman Catholic station, however, so surely no connection to the
current Evangelical outlet. (Moore Feb 20)

Don Moore   moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx