[HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Feb 26

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 98-08, Feb 26, 1998

WORLD OF RADIO'S NEW WEBSITE. With many thanks to Rachel
Baughn and Grove Enterprises for hosting us the past few months,
W.O.R. can now be found at

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio

We've removed the older archives, and added some new info,
such as texts of our Run for the Border reports, Shortwave Year
in Review. We plan to update the site more frequently, but if
you check once a week, do it Thursday after 1800 UT, for the
new W.O.R. summary and DX report, as a rule. (Glenn Hauser)

WORLD OF RADIO SCHEDULE CHANGES. On WGTG, Georgia, 5085-USB,
delete Tue 0500, and add from March 8 Sun 0030. On WWCR, TN,
Thu at 2130 change 9475 to 15685 from March 5. RFPI, Costa
Rica, hopes to have 21465 going with 10 kW AM by mid-March,
including our Fri 2000, Sat 1800, Sun 2300, Tue 1900 airings.

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 930. Our new schedule and website;
new column in CIDX Messenger; Tahiti and PNG stations back;
Vietnam's high-power MW frequencies; RKI programming changes;
Syria's press teletype; Mother Angelica claims divine
endorsement; and much more including some of the stories
below (Hauser)

ARMENIA. Checked V. of Armenia, 9965, Feb 24 at 2116 opening
English and yes, they are still imagining English is at 2145-
2215! How embarrassing for them (Glenn Hauser, OK)

IRAQ. Baghdad seems to be back attempting an external service
with no more success than before. Following tip in DX Window,
checked 11785 Feb 24 from 2000 when dominated by DW in Portuguese
to Africa, but a subaudible heterodyne of 3-4 Hz steadily
increased during the hour, presumably from Iraqi transmitter.
Clear of DW after 2050, but hum from generator(?), low and
distorted modulation made it impossible to determine if language
was German as previously reported, and even worse by 2130 when
may have been English. However, the carrier hum remained audible
as late as 2340 (Glenn Hauser, OK, and WORLD OF RADIO 930)

LITHUANIA [non]. R. Vilnius on new 5950, Feb 21 at 0030-0100* in
English ex-5905, //5880 (Brian Alexander, PA, WORLD OF RADIO 930)
Checked Feb 26, and pretty clear on 5950; WYFR carrier came on
at 0047, but Vilnius was still somewhat audible under it (Glenn
Hauser, OK)

NIGERIA [non]. R. Kudirat, 11540, announced as "test frequency"
and asking for reports from Nigeria comparing it to //6205, 1940
Feb 25. Signal steadily improved during the hour. Tnx to tip
from Novello via NASWA. Presumably, but not definitely also via
South Africa. Someone should check to be sure they two are in
sync (Glenn Hauser, OK, and WORLD OF RADIO 930)

PORTUGAL. Pleased to find RDP holding up as late as 1942 on
21655, mostly music, still on past 2000 but now fading out,
Feb 24 (Glenn Hauser, OK)

U S A. Following up previous report on Mother Angelica's conflict
with the Vatican: National Catholic Reporter story says she now
claims to have heard directly from Jesus and Mary endorsing her
broadcasting efforts, and healing some malady of hers to prove
it. But Los Angeles Cardinal Mahony isn't buying it (via Owen
Williamson, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

THIS WEEK'S HUNGARIAN LESSON. Names in this language are very
often mispronounced by newscasters, etc., who have never taken
the trouble to familiarize themselves with the phonetic scheme
of this unique language, unrelated to most other European
tongues. Radio Budapest was broadcasting Hungarian lessons
back in the 1960s and sent me introductory printed material.
Though I never learned much Hungarian vocabulary, I did study
the phonetics. People assume the same digraphs in Polish are
pronounced the same way, leading to a lot of problems. For
instance, both have SZ, but in Polish it's the "Sh" sound,
while in Hungarian it's a simple "S". On the other hand the
Hungarian S by itself is pronounced "Sh"! Thus a name such as
Szell, the late conductor, is properly pronounced "Sell", not
"Zell" or "Shell". Solti is "Shol-tee". Another difference
with Polish is that standard stress in that language is on
the penultimate syllable, while in Hungarian it's always on
the first syllable, no matter how long and polysyllabic the
word. Hungarian is full of accents, but they have nothing to
do with stress, but rather the exact "length" of the vowels.
An A without an accent is like "AW", while an A with an acute
is "AH". I won't even go into the long and short umlauts
signified by two dots or two acutes. Radio Budapest (BOO-dah-
pesht) currently has a program called TANCHAZ. Since there is
no CH digraph in Hungarian, it's obviously a compound word,
TANC-HAZ, meaning dance-house, "TAHNTS-hahz" since there are
acute accents on both A's. Yes, a C by itself is the "Ts"
sound, while CS is the "Ch" sound. Hungarian is really quite
regular and phonetic, predictable once you know the system,
unlike English! So why not learn the system of this and
any other languages you may be called upon to pronounce!
(Glenn Hauser)                                          ###