Re: [HCDX]: Anybody heard SAQ on 17.2 kHz?

At 19:13 29/05/98 +0200, you wrote:

>yesterday I tried to hear the swedish tests on 17.2 kHz from Grimeton
>between 1500-1530 UTC. Alas, absolutely nothing audible. I'm curious to
>know, if anybody heard them, or if the test did not take place.
>
>73's Martin

Hi Martin & Christoph,

	I caught both broadcasts at 0900 and 1500 UTC, each with good signal
strength here in the UK. I know of several UK listeners who received it okay,
but so far it appears that most/all US VLF enthusiasts weren't so lucky.
They repeated their message twice in each of the broadcasts, which lasted
about 30 minutes.

The message was as follows (pardon the odd error of mine!):

SAQ 17.2 kHz 28th May 1998:
===========================

Once again the gentle voice of the Grimeton radio station is heard
on 17.2 kHz. The reason is that the building with its transmitter
and huge antenna array has been awarded the prize of Industrial Monument
of 1997. The prize is being awarded today May 28th by Karin Starrin the
Governor of Halland County.

The Swedish Industrial Monument association motivates its choice by
saying that even a radio station is part of our cultural heritage. The
Radio Station at Grimeton has also been declared a historic property
and is protected under the Swedish Cultural Heritage Act.

Grimeton was built between 1922 and 1924 with the aim of improving
wireless communications between Sweden and the United States. It was
fitted with transmitting equipment invented by one of the great pioneers
of radio engineering Swedish borne Ernst Alexandersson.

Of the about twenty Alexandersson - system transmitter plants that once
formed a global network only the Grimeton station remains and is still
going strong.

In addition to preserving this unique station plans are well advanced
to develop Grimeton into an International Radio Science Center  'WA'
(Swedish A?)
todays prize - awarding ceremony includes an international conference
which will be a major step in that direction.

		73 for now, Alan.