[HCDX]: NRD 545

Through this list I would like to share with you my first DX-impressions of the new NRD 545.

Please bear in mind that I'm not a technician but a "DX-er"!

I have compared the device with the AOR AR 7030+, the Lowe HF150 and the NRD 525.

** AUDIO **
A frequently asked question about the new NRD 545 is: what is the audio like esp. in the amplitude modulation? Compared with the previous NRD's the audio is fine, much better, a relief! Compared to the Lowe and especially the 7030, the audio is less good, but not to say bad. We all know that the Lowe HF 150 and the AOR 7030 (+ the Drake R8a b) sound really great. The audio of the new NRD 545 is not bad at all imho, moreover because you can improve it quite reasonably with the PBS and the tone control.

**AmSync - ECSS **
This is really good on the NRD 545, it locks well, doesn't distort things and stays firm as a rock on the chosen frequency. It is much easier than the  AOR 7030 because you can select the upper or lower side of the am-signal. The am-synch of the Lowe HF 150 is also better in my opinion than that of the AOR 7030. Maybe not everyone agrees with that.
PBS and notch filter are working perfectly together with the ECSS of the NRD 545.

** Selectivity **
Very simple: it's great! This is what we have been waiting for! This is no match for the AOR 7030! Together with the PBS and the notch another perfect team to beat almost any form of interference.

** Notch filter - PBS **
Are working perfectly. The notch is very deep, removing every beep. The PBS-shift is also very good, it has a range of about 2,3 Khz. I think that with respect to operating it is also better than the AOR 7030: with that one you keep tuning. The auto notch of the AOR is quite good but works a bit slowly and sometimes skips a whistle.

** Tone control **
Something to laugh at in the case of the NRD 525/535 but on the 545 it really works! However, the AOR 7030 wins in this case: the separation control of bass and treble is marvellous.

** Sweep and scanning **
I can't give my opinion on that as I never use it.

** Noise reduction/beat canceler **
I don't like the noise reduction, you can't really pull a station out of the noise. The noise reduction on the timewave DSP 59+ works better! JRC really ought to improve this, maybe in the form of a software upgrade. The beat canceler works quite all right but sometimes there is a distortion of the sound.
I really have to criticise JRC at this point!

** Overall impression **
The NRD 545 is truly a leap forward. It's a "quiet", good sounding receiver, with lots of possibillities to reduce all kinds of interference. Operation is really easy and ergonomically very good. When conditions are o.k., DX-ing is a real joy!

Hans de Zeeuw  Amsterdam the Netherlands.

Lowe HF & PR 150
NRD 545 -  Yaesu FRT-7700
RF Systems SP2
Timewave DSP-59+