[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX 98-33 Aug 6

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 98-33, August 6, 1998

NEW EARLY TIME FOR WORLD OF RADIO. Supposed to start Aug 6 on
WWCR, Thu at 1600 on 15685, in addition to Thu at 2030 on 15685.
Also, RFPI has adjusted 21460 to 21461, further from HCJB 21455-
USB QRM; this affects WOR Fri 2000, Sat 1800, Sun 2300, Tue 1900
(Hauser)

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 951. See topic summary posted at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor951.html

CANADA [non]. R. Voice of Canada, still using "RAC" IDs, changed
several frequencies: heard on new 11960 since July 19, 22-24 in
Tamil, but wiped out by VOA Spanish from 2300. RVOC on new 15245
at 20-22 all in Tamil, no English since July 22; ex-15560. RVOC
on 9855, hrd 02-05 in Tamil Sun July 19; other days 02-04 (Ernie
Behr, Kenora, Ont., July 28, WORLD OF RADIO 951)

COSTA RICA. Once again TIAWR aired Wavescan on Monday evening,
i.e. UT Tuesday Aug 4 at 0004:30 after sign-on formalities, #184,
best on 9725, also audible on 13750 after VOA s/off, but not on
15460 which had something else (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 951)

INTERNATIONAL WATERS [non]. The radioship Electra was to be
auctioned to the highest bidder in Savannah, Georgia, July 15,
following a collision on the way to the Caribbean and an ensuing
lawsuit. Results of the auction not yet known. Details in the
September Monitoring Times (Rachel Baughn, MT editor)

IRELAND [non]. RTE Aug 4 adds two new frequencies to its daily SW
transmissions to give better coverage in Africa and SE Asia,
including Australia. The half-hour news and sports bulletin will
go to Africa via Ascension on 17885 at 1730 and to SE Asia via
Singapore on 11740 at 1000. The bulletin is already transmitted
on 12160 at 1830 and 5070 at 1000 [WWCR] (Wesley Boyd, RTE, July
30, WORLD OF RADIO 951)

MEXICO. RMI, 9705, seems to have improved audio processing;
sounds better now (George Thurman, July 29) But still slightly
low in freq, so presumably not 'new' transmitter (Glenn Hauser,
Aug 4, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTSING)

NEW ZEALAND. Mailbox broadcast times will alter from August 3,
1998. 2125 Tuesdays on 17675 kHz, 1735 Thursdays on 6145, 1930
Saturdays on 9875. Regards, (Adrian Sainsbury, RNZI) Making it a
lot harder to hear in NAm; best chance the first airing. Tue
Aug 4 was audible at 2125 but not with Mailbox, presumably to
be aired Aug 11, 25... How long is it now? (Glenn Hauser, WORLD
OF RADIO 951)

RUSSIA. VoR is booming in on new 7180 0100-0500 (ex 9665). 11675
continues to provide good afternoon reception 1800-2100 (Ivan
Grishin, Ont., Aug 4, WORLD OF RADIO 951)

UKRAINE. I heard Ukraine back at their usual time and freqs, UT
0000 on 9550 & 12040 with excellent reception on both. July 30.
(Ivan Grishin, Ont., WORLD OF RADIO 951)

UKRAINE. Following your reports on RUI I checked out the 2100
transmission on July 25. I heard them on 6020 7180 7240 7380
7410 and 13590. They had the DX programme at 2145. At the end,
the presenter announced that 12040 and  9550 had been off the
air since late June. They were broadcast from Mykolayiv to NAm.
Transmissions on these frequencies had ceased due to the failure
of the National Radio Company to pay rental fees. Announced sked
at the end for English was: 2100 on 5905 6020 7240 7410 9560
13590; 0000 on 5905 5915 6020 7240; 0400 on 5905 6020 7410 all
to Eu; 2100 on 7380 to Au which was the best reception here!
Presenter also said 7150 and 12050 at 0400-1600 had ceased (Mike
Barraclough, England, July 26, WORLD OF RADIO 951 AND R.I.B.)

U S A. On VOA CW, Kim Elliott reminds us that AFRTS left SW in
1986. Everyone is hyped about finding the site and getting a QSL
but no one seems to be concerned about accessing the complete
program sked. Wish someone with more time than I on Internet
would look for it, maybe with a .mil extension? Further checks
here: when not pre-empted by stupid ballgames, Paul Harvey noon
appeared UT Wed 0348 on 12689.5, just as before with all the ads
and ad breaks edited out, to end at 0359; and around 0426, PH's
Rest of the Story; 0430 into music, which is not something the
old AFRTS ever did. At this time, 4278.5 was not on the air, and
when rechecked at 1103, 4 was on but 12 was off, again with music
instead of news after newscast--hard rock heavy on the electric
guitar, no announcements; DJ finally came on at 1119 talking
about baseball, 1121 USA Radio sports, PSA string, more music now
with a country accent. Are these music blocks coming from the
main AFN feed or is the SW relay switching to some other input?
Heavy high-speed RTTY on the high side around 4280 got worse so
it was unlistenable by 1150 as FL faded into daytime. After 1230,
12689.5 was audible instead, but with more music. On Monday I had
heard NPR Morning Edition in the 1100 hour, news block at 1200.
Then UT Thu Aug 6 around 0318 all three frequencies were on: 6458
with talk and 12689.5//4278.5 with music. At first thought to be
coming from NAVCOMMSTA Isabela, Puerto Rico but Dan Ferguson thru
direction finding, and Larry Van Horn thru Navy contacts now
agree these are from Key West, Florida (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD
OF RADIO 951 and R.I.B)

U S A. WWCR-1 has been experiencing heavy interference on 9475
from an Arabic-speaking station after 0000 UT. (Only in the
summer does WWCR run 9475 as late as 0100). This is believed to
be Cairo, which previously used 9475 only after 0045 in Spanish,
0200 English. WWCR believes it should have priority in the 0000
hour, but until this is resolved, effective August 3 is reverting
to 3215 at 0000 (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

U S A. Contrary to some reports, Brother Stair is not going to
buy massive amounts of time, perhaps none at all on WBCQ (Randi
Steele via George Thurman, WORLD OF RADIO 951)

U S A. A revised schedule on George Jacobs' web site shows that
WBCQ in Maine is authorized to use 7415 between 22 and 06 UTC,
effective September 1. (Jim Moats, WORLD OF RADIO 951)

U S A [non]. Pennsylvania's 193rd Special Operations Wing of the
Air National Guard has six huge C-130 cargo planes made into
flying radio and TV stations, capable of preempting a country's
normal programming and replacing it with whatever information
Uncle Sam wants to broadcast. The approximately 1200 personnel
assigned to the unit have learned they soon will not have to do
their jobs with planes that rolled off the assembly line in the
late 1960s. Sen. Rick Santorum announced that a third Lockheed
EC-130J -- with an $85 million price tag once all the electronic
modifications are made -- has been secured for the unit in the
1999 defense budget. One new plane has been included in the
budget for each of the past two years and the unit hopes to
actually be flying its first "J-model" by sometime in 2000.
Eventually the unit hopes to replace all six of its specially
equipped planes. The new planes will be able to fly higher than
those being used now, making them better able to avoid ground
fire, said Maj. Gen. William Lynch. The wing began its PSYOP or
psychological operations and other "information warfare" missions
during the Vietnam War and has remained busy since... (Jack
Sherzer, Harrisburg Patriot-News July 12 via Brian Alexander,
WORLD OF RADIO 951)

ORBAN 9105a SPLATTER GENERATOR
All the stories of splatter I've been hearing lately are surely
caused by improper use of high-level audio processing, probably
from the Orban 9105a. Technicians sometimes have no idea about
the weaknesses of their transmitters, since they were never
pushed this hard before. The Orban is the best processing in the
world, but it's guaranteed to bring out every modulation anomaly
in a transmitter. Complaints to "offending" stations are the best
approach. Some stations may already KNOW about the problem, but
don't do anything until complaints are received. Mentioning that
an Orban 9105a might be involved may strengthen the argument and
even help the technicians solve the problem, because adequate
warnings about these problems are supplied with every unit. Orban
also has a Website with email access for first-rate technical
support. So no excuses! (Bob Zanotti, Switzerland, July 17,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

THIS WEEK'S TETUM LESSON -
TIMOR EAST. Glenn, I have a friend who likes to do research on
the web. I asked her to see what she could find about Tetum.
Here is a putting together of some of the info she found.  Tim

While Indonesia's official language, Bahasa Indonesia, is spoken
throughout the province, at least 12 other languages and dialects
are spoken in East Timor, ranging from Tetum, an Austronesian
language dominant around the capital of Dili, to more obscure non-
Austronesian dialects, such as Kairui, Nidiki and Baiben. The
population of East Timor was estimated in December 1995 to be
843,100.

[example:] the last week, for community radio, 25 April 96
Noticias ba Radio Timor Lian,
Bispo Carlos F.X. Belo husu lalais autonomia ba Timor Loro Sae
Jakarta: Bispo Timor Loro Sae nian, Carlos F.Ximenes Belo bolu ba
Governo Indonesia atu hanoin fo autonomia ba Timor Loro Sae.
Autonomia nee halo parte mos cultura, religiao I buat nebe 27%
Indonesia atu hanoin fo autonomia ba Timor Loro Sae. Autonomia
nee halo parte mos cultura, religiao I buat nebe Timor oan bele
halao rasik, Bispo hateten iha intervista ida ba jornal Kompas.
Bispo fiar katak Timor oan iha recursos ba autonomia, I nee chave
ida ba hetan dame I halibur hamutuk Timor oan nia hanoin. Timor
oan lolos bele halo rasik sira nia plano ba servisu oin-oin.
Amo Bispo justifica katak uluk liu nia bolu autonomia oin ketak
ida ba Timor Loro Sae temi autonomia kona ba tradicao Catolico
Roma I cultura seluk iha rai laran. Iha Timor Loro Sae ema
Catolico barak liu wainhira iha Indonesia muculmano barak liu.
Oin sa mos Soeharto hateten katak iha neba laiha lia kona ba
autonomia iha Timor Loro Sae mak diak liu autonomia nebe fo ona
ba rai balu iha rai laran Indonesia nian (Aceh, Jakarta I
Yogyakarta). Autonomia hanesan simbol ida. (Tim Hendel, AL,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)                   ###