[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX 98-34 Aug 8

        GLENN HAUSER'S SW/DX REPORT 98-34, August 8, 1998

[items from this and all other such reports may be reproduced
and re-reproduced ONLY providing full credit is maintained at
all stages]

COSTA RICA. RFPI seemed mostly off the air UT Fri Aug 7, Thu
evening, not just wiped out by magstorm; at 1650 only freq
found was 21460.0 now on USB, and weak. 1700 announcement
acknowledged this was on USB, and high power was being tested
on 6975 at 1400-1700(?) but inaudible here. 15049 was on briefly
around 1800, but missing later, leaving only weak and fading
21460-USB during new Mailbag at 2030 with Joe Bernard and Debra
Latham whence I learnt:

This year's 11th Anniversary Fiesta on the Air call-in will be
UT Sept 17 at 0000-0600.

Starting next week at a time yet to be selected is a new weekly
one-hour program about RFPI, its plans and problems, with James
& Debra Latham; this will allow the Mailbag program to
concentrate on the mail rather than so much station news. The
30 kW transmitter which had been on 15049 1800-0800 is now
testing 0000-0800 on 6975, and reports are wanted; whilst 21460
converted to USB is schedueld 1300(? during fade)-0200.

After the latened sign-off around 0200 of 21460-USB,
RFPI was not to be heard UT Sat Aug 8 as all the other freqs
were silent; suppose trying to get transmitters and antennas
reconfigured as previously reported. Finally back on at 1636
check in little-known French program but back on AM 21461, no
other freqs hrd, 15049 still not back as of 1930 check (Glenn
Hauser, OK)

NEW ZEALAND. We checked the new RNZI website for the downsized
program schedule. The major discovery is that per this the first
airing of Mailbox is NOT UT Tue at 2125 as Adrian Sainsbury had
told me directly, but UT Mon at 2135! Along with UT Wed 1735 and
UT Fri 1930. He had given me local days, not UT days, so this
corrects item in previous report 98-33, and I now believe the
Mailbox was ON the first week of August, but missed here since
we had incorrect days/times. All the Rudi Hill programs are
indeed gone, but there is someone else's Band Programme Fri at
0830 (Glenn Hauser, OK)

NICARAGUA. Update on R. Miskut, 5770. Operations now feature the
new transmitter with full authorized power [previously given as
500 watts] to new dipole antenna. Future plans include the
possibility of additional power. New towers are currently under
construction for new SW and FM antennas. The FM sister operation,
R. Bilwi on 104 MHz, is continuing and will have a power increase
during next year. Advertising income or NGO sources of support
for this indigenous and unique broadcasting facility are
essential if operations are to continue. SW broadcasts currently
run from 1200 to 0430 UT (John Freeman, Tech Systems, Aug 3,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

PARAGUAY. R. Nacional, 9737.6 in the clear with Singapore 9740
auroraled out, Aug 7 at 1044 tune in to mailbag, all in Spanish
with letters from NY, NY, Italy, David Martin in Australia,
Argentina, many reporting "perfect" reception. Well, it would be
more "perfect" now if the modulation weren't low and distorted.
1053 ID as "Onda Tricolor de Radio Nacional del Paraguay" - I
suppose referring to their fledgeling external service in three
languages? (Glenn Hauser, OK)

U S A. WGTG-2 plans to resume testing Mon Aug 10 from around 1500
on 9505, and continue the rest of the week; with 340-degree
rhombic. This unit is about to go into regular service. WOR 951
has been received and should appear as scheduled Sat Aug 8 at
2330 on 5085-USB. Dave Frantz tells me that yet another FCC
surprise inspection took place a month ago, and everything was
OK. WGTG continues to be harrassed, perhaps by land-devlopment
interests in the neighborhood. He is gathering evidence that
other stations pose a far greater risk of RF radiation, such as
WSB-750 whose tower is in the middle of a shopping center it
owns; and WWBS Macon GA is likely to have even more severe risks
and problems transmitting from downtown rather than a rural area
(Glenn Hauser, Aug 8, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

U S A. After illicitly photocopying engineering and legal
documents of WGTG while "relieving" the Frantzes from constant
running of the station, the Fundamental Broadcasting Network,
which WGTG cancelled in March, has applied to build its own SW
station at its North Carolina HQ (Dave Frantz, WGTG, August 8,
via Hauser)

VENEZUELA. After Paraguay, I found an open carrier on 9540, and
expected this R. Nacional to have even lower modulation; it was a
bit low, but improved over previous situation. Weaker signal made
it hard to copy. Promptly at 1100 began IS of about 16 treble
notes repeated a few times, sounded like steel drum. ID and
address as Apartado Postal 30-7-9(?), Caracas 1050, Venezuela;
and introduced program personnel by name. Tough copy with fading
too, August 7 (Glenn Hauser, OK, R.I.B.)                   ###