[HCDX]: RE: hard-core-dx V4 #650

> Hi,
>
> I seem to have developed a bad case of electrical interference in my home,
> where I try to DX and was wondering what some of you do about this kind of
> problem.
>
> The problem shows up supriously-- I can't pin it to any specific time or
> event -- and lasts for as many as 30 minutes at a time. I've gone around
my
> house unplugging things, but haven't found the device which is causing the
> problem.
>
> The only thing I haven
> t unplugged is a VCR, which I suspect is emitting some  noise.
>
> I also have a lamp (halogen0 which blows out any attempt to listen to a
> radio whenever it (the lamp) is on. Unfortunately, my poor eyesight
> requires that I get a lamp which is bright like this one, so it is a
problem.

> do any of you have suggestions to rrelive / cure these problems?
>
> Thanks,
> Robin

I have had a running battle with RFI over the past four years. Some culprits
I found include:

 - the wall transformers for my telephone answering machine, radio, etc.
 - my "touch" lamp (even when it's turned off)
 - TVs and computer monitors
 - something in my neighbor's house

Try opening the breakers on your power box one by one to see if one of those
stops the noise. When it does, you can troubleshoot the section of the house
room by room with a portable radio. But, even if you eliminate all the noise
in your house, the RFI can travel through the power mains into your house
from other places in the neighborhood. When you hear the noise, try taking a
portable receiver outside and walk around to see if you can direction-find a
source. A good place to check is at the electric meter mounted on the
outside wall. Hold a radio close to it and look for the buzz. Then, go to
your neighbor's meters and see if the noise shows up there too. Don't forget
to check around streetlights and power transformers that are local too.
Sometimes they can cause problems.

Good Luck!

Brett
N3EVB