[HCDX]: St Helena broadcast

Hi, I was pleased to hear this station for the first ever time, here is how
it went and this is what I sent them.

Hope it is of interest.

24/10/1998 Saturday at 19:00 UTC

I was waiting on 11092.5 USB and heard your tuning in signal begin at
19:00. followed by the tune A Life on the Ocean Wave.
I then heard an introduction from Rob Peters and David Smallman the Island
Governor.
Your signal at this point was SIO 3-5-4 and was very clear.

By the news at 20:00 your signal was 2-4-3

In the news was: Cable & wireless dropping their Internet charges, Hail and
thunder on
St. Helena and about the Scouts Jamboree.

At 21:03 I heard you read out my second e-mail regarding the weather here
in Gloucester.

At 22:00 The signal had degraded some more SIO was now only 2-4-2 however
at 22:06 I heard your tuning signal load and clear SIO 2-4-4

At 22:39 I heard a repeat of the news from 20:00 SIO was 2-4-2.

At 22:57 I heard a song called 'Good Day' and at 23:00 I heard you read out
some more e-mail and that you were going to continue on broadcasting, but
as SIO was still 2-3-2 I decided to switch off and write up this report.

For all these receptions I was using the following equipment:
Yaesu FRG-100 with a Palstar AA30 Active antenna matcher and a 60 foot
random wire.
At the start of your broadcast I switched on my Sony 2001D using only its
telescopic antenna and you were readable even on that!
Conditions here were, Gale force winds and very heavy rain.
>From Mike, QTH Gloucester UK.
HF Radio's are: Sony 2001D and Yaesu FRG-100.
VHF/UHF Radio is; Realistic PRO 2005.

HF Antenna systems are: Palstar AA30 and 30 foot wire.
CM Howes AA2 and 5 foot telescopic.

VHF/UHF Antenna system is; CM Howes SPA4 mast head amp
with a discone.

MT