Re: [HCDX]: Beverage matching/tuning/balun

At 12.15 29.10.1998 -0800, you wrote:
>I live on the Northern Oregon coast, a mile from the Pacific Ocean in
>North America. I currently use 4 antennas. All 4, I use co-ax  and
>matching transformers. I find that using matching transformers do help
>in a mis-match from 75 to 500 ohms. As far as the co-ax goes, I have
>tryed some of my antennas without co-ax and I  lose directivity and get
>more noise. I currently use a 1500 foot Eastern Beverage, 900 foot
>Northern Beverage, a 50 foot verticle, and a EWE antenna directional to
>Asia and the Pacific. All these leads on co-ax come into the radio room
>and goes to antenna switching unit.
>It works very well.

I have seen from your logs that they work very well! What I meant was that
if you didn't have any or very little noise in the house or in the vicinity
(a cottage with no electricity) and the radio had a high-impedance antenna
connection (like AR7030 with 600 Ohm) would you still use coax and
baluns/matchers?
	After all every coil, so balun, too causes a bit of signal loss itself. Is
the loss of directivity a bigger reason to use coax & matcher than the loss
of signal strength?
	And if I anyway choose to use coax/matchers, how long should the coaxes
be, i.e. how far from each other should the antennas' starting points be in
order not to affect each other? I guess 10 metres is not enough? A good 100
metres' coax for five Beverages already costs a lot.

73, Mauno
Finland