Re: [HCDX]: RE: hard-core-dx V4 #768 -lightning

A 15:42 24/11/98 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>>  my father-in-law advised me not to   disconnect radios and tv sets
>> from electricity.
>	..... shall we  disconnect  radios and TV sets  also from the
>> mains? >>
>>

>> If lightning were to hit a power line, part of it would travel through
>> the
>> wires to your home. I definitely WOULD disconnect all radios from all
>> connections: antenna, power AND grounds during storms.
>>
>> I do this when I am not DXing because I live on a high hilltop, and
>> may not be
>> home during the next storm.
>>
>> This is a message from Radiomatt@xxxxxxx
>>
>	[Bob Foxworth]  I believe this is excellent advice. I do the
>same.

This is certainly excellent advice. Anyway why would anyone leave their set connected to the mains in that situation? They can't use it anyway if the aerial is disconnected.

Regarding aerials, one thing is often overlooked. Many people just disconnect the cable from the set and leave it on the floor. Now should lightning strike the antenna the energy would be fed into the house and try to jump to the earth, via the central heating system for instance or a water pipe. But if you're standing between the cable and the nearest radiator, then poor you!

So I feel it is absolutely necessary to connect the lead to the earth and not just disconnect it from the set.

Any comments?

Rémy Friess
Montbeliard - France
rfriess@xxxxxxxxx