[HCDX]: RE: V4 #779 - multiple RX technique

[HCDX]: RE: V4 #779 - multiple RX technique

> >         [Bob Foxworth]  For this kind of DX it will be easier to
> have
> > several inexpensive
> >         RXes running side by side, each feeding a cassette tape
> > recorder, rather than one
> >         humongous RX which after all, can only hear one freq at a
> time.
> > These sunset openings
> >         are brief, strong and several good freqs peak up at once and
> > then are lost and it's
> >         impossible to track them all with one RX.  Used Delco car
> radios
>
> <snip>
>
> It sounds like a good technique to bag a bunch of stations.
>
> Personally, I like to hear it as it happens. To my mind, using cheap
> multiple receivers, and taping later-to-be-reviewed content,  is like
> stringing a gill net across a stream.
>
> When I go fishing,  I always use a good rod & reel. ;-)
> - --
> Regards,
> Werner Funkenhauser

	[Bob Foxworth]  There's much merit to your analogy and it all
comes down to
	personal preference. Some notes (1) I haven't used more than 2
RX's at once, myself,
	whenever I DX, (2) I said 'several' and not 'a bunch' and (3)
this is not so much a
	matter of taping 'to-be-reviewed-later' content, after all you'd
need to know where to
	tune the RX's in the first place, 3 might be an optimum number,
and you'd monitor
	each one in real-time, tuning for good sounding frequencies, and
start taping each if it
	sounded interesting. This works best during unusual CX e.g. KRVN
dominating WCBS,
	which doesn;t happen all the time. If one rare station is in,
chances good another one,
	as yet unheard, from the same area,can be found. My one good
reception of KFNW
	1200 (November, post-sunset, from Long Island NY, 1988) happened
because I found
	CKLY-910 well atop and went fishing for other stations. That was
sitting is a parked car,
	on the car radio and 3-foot whip.

	There's not really much difference in philosophy if you are at
home (and not visiting a
	DX site), and only one DXer at a time,(instead of several). And
(4) I did mention
	it was 'for this kind of DX' and (snipped) that you want the big
RX when the exotic
	foreign DX is in, forget the cheap RX's then.

	Not wanting to start an argument, best regards, Bob