[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX 98-52

        GLENN HAUSER'S SW/DX REPORT 98-52, Dec 10, 1998

{items from this and all our other reports may be reproduced
and re-reproduced ONLY providing full credit be maintained at
all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 968. See topic summary at:
http://www.angelire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor968.html

WORLD OF RADIO MASTER SCHEDULE, SHORTWAVE ONLY: See
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wormassw.html

NEW CONTINENT OF MEDIA for December soon on RFPI Fri 1900, Sat
1730 plus 8 and 16 hours later; see topic summary at:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Com9809.html - and now
on http://www.DXing.com/ContinentOfMedia.html

CZECH REPUBLIC [non]. Occasional further checks of WRMI relay
at 0400 on 9955 found R. Prague audible but heavily mixed in
Cuban jamming on UT Dec 6 at 0410. The Friuli special UT Mon
Dec 7 at 0130 was about the same. I continue to suspect that
variations in WRMI reception are not entirely due to propagation
and relative jamming levels, but to transmitter power reduction,
back-up low-power transmitter, antenna problems or usage, or
simply being off the air intermittently (Glenn Hauser)

FRANCE. RFI English programs valid from Oct 25:

1200-1257 ENAm/CAm/Carib 15530 17575; C/EEu 9805 15155 15195
1400-1457 ME 17560; SEAs 12030; SAs 11910 12030
1600-1654 WAf 11705; EAf/IndOc 15210 11615; CAf 15530; SAf 12015;
          NAf/ME 11615
1654-1730 EAf/IndOc 15210 11615

Internet: 1400 program in RA and streamworks, and daily review
of French press (in English) on http://www.rfi.fr

1200-1214 newscast is continuously available in real audio:
http://www.wrn.org (RFI via Bob Thomas, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

GREECE. No doubt it was correct when originally sent to me Oct 26,
but to update the VOG info in 98-51: Joe Hanlon points out that
at 1200-1400 something else is on 15175, and Dan Ferguson says
that 15630 has replaced it for VOG; furthermore, Joe and I do not
hear English at 1350, nor at 1340 nor 1240; when is it? (Glenn
Hauser, OK)

NEW ZEALAND. Glenn, Adrian Sainsbury of RNZI sent me this reply to a
request (and a hope) that RNZI might extended their transmission
schedule of New Year's Eve.

"We shall be extending our transmission to take in a  New Year
program from National Radio. Season greetings from all of us at
RNZI." (Adrian Sainsbury, Frequency Manager, RADIO NEW ZEALAND
INTERNATIONAL, P O Box 123, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND)

Looks like we can at start the New Year's Eve around the
world DX session with RNZI again this year (Pete Costello, NJ)

Current sign off is about 1015 on 9700, so presumably means will
stay on at least until 1100 = local midnite on UT Dec 31. Of
course, they're cheating, with DST... (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

RUSSIA. Subject: Mayak leaves SW...

Here is one interesting, but sad item: because of limited budget
finance according to a new fiscal year budget Radio Mayak will
not be use all shortwave transmitters from January 1st, 1999
(Mr. Pavlov (Chairman of OGRK "Radio Mayak" ), December 4 via
Mikhail Timofeyev, St.Petersburg, Dec 4, WORLD OF RADIO 968)

Here are the currently active Mayak SW frequencies from a BBC
Monitoring hour-by-hour schedule issued Nov 19:

3346-DSB, 4520, 4930, 4982-DSB, 5900, 5930, 5950, 5990-USB, 6015,
6035, 6045, 7310-USB, 7330, 7400, 7440, 11630, 11785, 11985,
15215 - during any given hour from 0030 to 2300 with no more than
5 frequencies at a time; or as few as one (WORLD OF RADIO 968)

U S A. On WBCQ, Dec 8 about 2120 UT, I tuned in to hear Randi Steele
saying that this was her last program.  She said that hers, and
many of the other entertainment programs, would be going off the
air, because WBCQ is not bringing in the income they had hoped.
She said that mostly the paying programs will stay on, and that
WBCQ is cutting back its schedule.

This is too bad, but it does not surprise me at all.  Joe
Costello, Jeff White, KUSW, even Dixon Norman, if he ever was
legitimate, have found out that commercial shortwave is not very
viable in the United States.  Randi was lamenting that not enough
of the WBCQ merchandise, such as buttons and cards, had been
sold.  Personally, I don't see how selling postcards and buttons
can keep such an operation in business (Tim Hendel, AL, WORLD
OF RADIO 968 and REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

U S A. WGTG 2nd transmitter - On Dec 8 I heard Dave Frantz
announce that their second transmitter has been approved by the
FCC for regular programming.  He said they are only waiting for
"a few technical things" in order to start regular programming.
NO frequencies or schedule was mentioned (Tim Hendel, AL, WORLD
OF RADIO 968) Last we heard it would be 6890-USB at night only
(Glenn Hauser)                                             ###