Re: [HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX 99-01

TONGA: (Re below) While I'm sure the Tongans have more to do at the
moment than getting back on shortwave, the lack of banana trees
shouldn't affect their broadcasting plans for the rest of our
lifetimes. Banana "trees" are actually a very hard-stemmed herb with a
two year lifespan. The first year they grow very fast to a height of
around 3-5 meters. The second year the bananas grow and the tree dies.
(Don Moore, Iowa)

> TONGA. I heard on the news last night that the island of
> Tonga has been hit by a cyclone with over 100 mph winds.  > The >
report said that over 70,000 people were left in the > dark and >
every banana tree was stripped off the island. > Well, I guess we >
won't be hearing Radio Tonaga on SW in > our lifetime because their >
antenna was mounted to a > banana tree.

==
Don Moore     mooredxer@xxxxxxxxx
   or<patepluma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>