[HCDX]: tfw 78 3/3

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright  Part   3
Year   4  Number  78  - Rome,  18 January  1999

FRANCE- RFI has cancelled its French Guiana relay, 15530 for English to North America at 1200; also less  Spanish and French to Americas, as M. Bochent of TDF confirms; unheard when checked Jan 3. 1200 best  frequency now may be 15155 for Europe (Joe Hanlon, PA, WORLD OF RADIO 971/ GH  SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6) --- Grrr, can't be surprised due to previous developments; guess we were lucky they kept it going until yearend. It appears to be impossible to reason with these people.  Whatever excuses they may make, I'm convinced it's basically chauvinism, and an anti-American attitude -  who needs 'em? Everybody needs such a vital means of communication and understanding between major  nations. Jan 5 at 1250, I checked all the frequencies listed below and could not hear RFI on any of them, tho  conditions seemed subnormal. Now we'll have to try all the frequencies at the other times in case some  marginal offbeam signal arrive. At *1359 17560 came on with a pretty good signal, but heavy flutter and  echo; 12030 detectable but not 11910 (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 971 / GH  SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

FRANCE- As Joe Hanlon noted, Radio France Internationale has snubbed English-language listeners in the  Western Hemisphere by completely eliminating any broadcasts in English to the Americas. RFI put a new shortwave frequency schedule in place on January 1, available only as graphics (no text equivalent) on its  Web site. Some broadcasts for other regions were heard here this morning: 12Z on 15155, very weak and  multipath echoing 14Z on 17560 and 12030, both relatively strong but fluttery 16Z on 15210 and 15530, both  weak, with the former a bit stronger than the latter. Since the 14Z broadcasts are for Asia, I assume NAm  reception will depend heavily on good higher-frequency propagation. Portuguese listeners get 1 1/2 hours a  day in the Americas and there are a few hours daily in Spanish and in French beamed to the Americas. RFI's  director was on French-language "Club RFI" last month and bemoaned budget cuts and expense of local   retransmission of RFI in various cities. An RFI executive I met last year warned of drastic cuts in shortwave  broadcasts to the Americas and said Cuba was the prime reason that any broadcasts remained. (Mike Cooper,  Atlanta GA, Jan 5, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-02, Jan 9)

HONDURAS- The 4930.6 station in San Pedro Sula has a new name since its MW originator has become Evanecer 12-20", heard opening with this ID instead of R. Internacional at *1204 Jan 14, immediately into  music and alabanzas. Tnx to tip from Jorge Garcia Rangel and Santiago San Gil of Club Diexistas de la  Amistad in Venezuela (Glenn Hauser, OK, Mundo Radial / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-03, January 14)

ICELAND- RUV on New Year's Eve: not much audible on the lower frequencies, nor 5055 reported by Hill  Xmas eve, but 11402 was on a bit past 0100 Jan 1 (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

IRAN- [non]. From WWCR-1 12160 posted sked since Dec 21 and again in the Jan 7 update: Tue 1100-1200  Perspective on Iran (K) CHAIR/Eric Javadi --- Fri 1100-1200 Perspective on Iran (Pe) CHAIR/Eric Javadi ---  Sat 1100-1200 Perspective On Iran (Pe)  CHAIR/Eric Javadi --- I was finally able to confirm this on Sat Jan 9;  when 12160 came up at 1100 it was barely audible, but built up to good level by 1125 when I started taping  during Persian program. Certainly does not sound Christian-religious; mostly talks in Persian interrupted  every 5-7 minutes by same canned sesquiminute ID by woman with music bed, sounds like "Radyo Posesh"  at 1125, 1130, 1138, 1145, 1150, 1155, and mentions "megahertz". This program may well be in the   clandestine category, and needs to be monitored by Persian (and Kurdish) speakers. So far WWCR has not  posted a link to the program, and we don't know who, what, or where CHAIR and Eric Javadi be, nor their  agenda. At 1156 WWCR outro in English claimed the past hour had been in Ukrainian and Russian! -- slightly outdated. There were continuous chirps of QRM, I hesitate to say jamming, at the rate of 2 per second  on the frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK / SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-02, Jan 9)

ISRAEL- Reshet Bet, 7495, weak and squeezed between stronger stations, indeed UT Mon Jan 4 at 0030 went into 5 minutes of news in English. Nothing audible on 9390 so maybe not on yet, but even so would be  lost in splatter from 9385 US station. UT Tue Jan 5, 7495 was detectable but unreadable. Tnx to Doni  Rosenzweig for tip about this, who later reports they will try 9395 instead of 9390 (Glenn Hauser, OK, and  WORLD OF RADIO 971 / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

ISRAEL - Kol Israel with fair reception on new 9395 in English news at 0030-0035 Jan 13, much better than  //7495 (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-03, January 14)

MALTA- [non]. I heard Voice of Malta in English Jan 7 0635 tune-in on 7155 with a program "Hidden  Treasures", featuring a discussion on Caravaggio's "The Decapitation of Saint John the Baptist", which is located in the Cathedral of St J the B in La Valetta. Reception was quite good, with some interference from  radio amateurs. There was a break in transmission at 0650-0659. They returned with a weather forecast for  Malta, then straight into another language Maltese ?without an ID. Off at 0730. You can view this  masterpiece at: <http://www.artchive.com/artchive/C/caravaggio/decapitation.jpg.html>(Ivan Grishin,Ont.,REVIEWOF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-03, January 14)

MOLDOVA- Fax in Spanish from R. Moldova International asks for listener support against increasing  government moves toward closing down the station. To help keep RMI on the air so that world public opinion  will not be deprived of first-hand news about Moldova, please write to: Mr. Petru Lucinschi, President of the  Republic of Moldova, Ave. Stefan Cel mare, 154, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova; Ministry of External Affairs, 31 of August St., 80, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova.  To contact RMI itself:  Radio Moldova  Internacional, Str. Miorita 1, 277028 Chisinau, Republic of Moldova  Tel.: 3732 723379 / 723385  Fax.: 3732 723307; Telex: 163210 (Iurie Moraru, Director of [Spanish] Department, RMI, via Ruben Guillermo Margenet, Argentina, Jan 4 via Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

TONGA- I heard on the news last night that the island of Tonga has been hit by a cyclone with over 100 mph  winds. The report said that over 70,000 people were left in the dark and every banana tree was stripped off the  island. Well, I guess we won't be hearing Radio Tonga on SW in our lifetime because their antenna was  mounted to a banana tree. With their main export gone, this may cripple the country for many years to come. I  heard Tonga 12 years ago and reported it to you. I had some help from the FCC Monitoring Station on Hawaii  who DFed the signal and they let me listen to it on the phone (Artie Bigley, KY, Dec 28, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 971/ GH  SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT  99-01, January 6)

TONGA- While I'm sure the Tongans have more to do at the moment than getting back on shortwave, the  lack of banana trees shouldn't affect their broadcasting plans for the rest of our lifetimes. Banana "trees" are  actually a very hard-stemmed herb with a two year lifespan. The first year they grow very fast to a height of around 3-5 meters. The second year the bananas grow and the tree dies. (Don Moore, Iowa, responding to our  99-02 report/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-03, January 14)

TONGA- Glenn: As far as Tonga goes, as I recall they were using an inverted V antenna connected to a  coconut tree for the SW service on 5030 per several reports that RN did on them during the last sesquidecade.  Were they active before the storm? If they were, they are no doubt off the air now. I wrote this but was't  expecting it to be printed. It was something I wrote tongue in cheek (Artie Bigley, KY, REVIEW OF  INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-03, January 14) --- Considering the  lifespan of banana 'trees', coconut would seem far more likely as antenna mast (Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX  REPORT 99-03, January 14)

UKOGBANI- Found to my displeasure on one of my BBC-overnight tapes of KMUW relay for Fri Dec 18: at  0630 there was no Pick of the World as scheduled, but The World Today from 0600 just kept running for the  rest of the hour without explanation or apology. As a result I never got to hear that edition of POTW. Probably BBC thought that during Baghdad/Bill, Iraq/Impeachment there was "so much news" that other programmes had to be blown off. I dispute that we could not do without an additional half hour of news at  that point !  This is but one more example of what's wrong not only with BBC but most other stations,  especially American: making programme changes at the last minute is one thing, and may sometimes be justified -- but whatever became of the "courtesy announcement"--"we regret that the program scheduled will  not be aired because of the following special report" or some such. NOBODY gives a damn about the loyal listeners/viewers any more (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH  SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

UKOGBANI- Lost in the shuffle of BBC WS programme changes: From the Weeklies. This was a little gem,  15 minutes a week often with humourous touches with excerpts from the British weekly magazines (not so  weekly over the holidays), which said goodbye last week and indeed no longer appears anywhere on the new  BBC WS programme schedule. We'll miss it. Gained in the shuffle: Wright Round the World. I monitored the premiere of this Sat Jan 9 at 1205-1300 on 15220. It's supposed to replace Anything Goes and A Jolly Good  Show, but at the outset Wright acknowledged only the latter, which I never listened to, never being that  desperate to hear British pop music. First music played was Prince, and it appears musically this will go little beyond that narrow genre. Pandering to youth, included bizarre news (not that funny), phone-out to a 21-year- old Chinese, asking her if she is beautiful, in need of a pen pal, and a guest appearance by Phil Collins (yawn). Once again BBC has "fixed"something that was much better in the first place. The dumbing-down marches on (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH  SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 9)

UKOGBANI- [non]. I checked the new London Radio Service show via WWCR 9475, Thu at 2230-2245 Jan 7, Pulsando las Noticias. M&W co-hosts, and the woman, Ana Lia Guimaraes had a heavy Brazilian accent,  always amusing to Spanish speakers. At closing indicated they also produce shows in Arabic, Russian,  Portuguese. LRS is on behalf of the British government, ironically hiring time on a US station since it can't  programme via BBC (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH  SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 9)

USA- WMLK, 9465, unmistakable intonations of Elder Meyer barely audible at 1955 Jan 4 in heavy sideband  splash from The Overcomer on 9475. Tnx for tip to Hans Johnson, Cumbre, who found out they're back with  only 20 kW, daytime only (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 971 / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

USA- WWBS, 11900, Macon at closing 0200* UT Sun Jan 3 had Joanne Josey identifying herself as hostess  for the evening, and admitting they "had some problems with interference in the neighborhood". When  resolved they hope to expand to more nights than just Saturday and Sunday. She has a pronounced southern  accent, sounds quite pious and sincere in her faith (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99- 01, January 6)

USA- World Harvest Radio again demonstrates its utter incompetence, and insults both its listeners and program producer: Sat Jan 2 at 2300 on 5755 I decided to tape Dxing With Cumbre, not having caught it  earlier, whilst paying primary attention to VOA Communications World on WWCR. WHRI audio kept  dumping out every few seconds for the entire half hour, making it impossible to follow anything Marie Lamb  was trying to say. It may have been a satellite feed problem, tho already going at 2327 was the same show on  9495, which did not to have this problem, although there was crackling in the background. IF there were an  actual human being at WHR  running the station(s), and monitoring what was going out of  the studio, what  was coming back from the satellite, and from the SW transmitters, at least this problem could have been  dealt  with rather than ignored. Tho they would never admit it in a megayear, I'm sure one reason for automation is  they know most of their programming is so boring and obnoxious that forcing one of their own people  actually to listen to it, even in spot checks, would be cruel or at least soporific -- leave that to what few  listeners may happen upon their wasted frequencies (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL  BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

USA- Gleaned from Al Weiner Worldwide, UT Sat Jan 2 from 0120 tune-in on WBCQ 7415: Overcomer is  dropping 0800-1100 slot (did you notice he's also gone from the WRMI sked; heard Fri afternoon on 13790-- WINB?). New Randi Steele show is Sat 2100-2200, but pre-empted this week for a special German music  show. Basic rate is $50 an hour, but discounted at 3 am or for quantity. At outset, WBCQ was prepared to   give Pacifica some airtime, but they got all "hoity-toity" about it and wanted to be paid for their  programming. That's not the way it works on SW. Down the road is possibility of a second transmitter. Not  frequency-agile yet, so needs to stick to 7415, but can expand further into daytime when skip is shorter  (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 6)

USA - Correxion to WOR 971: I said VOA Communications World on WBCQ 7415 is Sat at 2100 starting  Dec 26; actually it is on Sun starting Dec 27! (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH  SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-01, January 9)

USA-  WRMI, 9955, relay in Spanish of R. Praga, Czech Republic, Jan 12 at 2230 in clear at first when gave  entire Spanish schedule not mentioning WRMI relay, but at 2250 recheck, Cuban bubble jammers had started  up, and still going against R. Vaticano relay at 2315 -- an Xmas program, so perhaps by tape? I thought Fidel was trying to be friendly to the RCC (Glenn Hauser, OK Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX  REPORT 99-03, January 14)

DX PROGRAMS

WORLD OF RADIO MASTER SKED, SHORTWAVE ONLY, as of Jan 8, 1999, Days and Times Strictly  UT --- WGTG has been dropped and one time has changed on WWCR -- THU 2130 WWCR 9475 --- FRI 1930  RFPI 21460-USB --- SAT 0330 RFPI 6975 --- SAT 1130 RFPI 6975 --- SAT 1800 RFPI 21460-USB ---  SUN 0200 RFPI 6975 15049 21460-USB --- SUN 0330 WWCR 5070 [NEW, ex-Sat 2330] --- SUN 0730  WWCR 5070 --- SUN 1000 RFPI 6975 --- SUN 1030 WWCR 5070 --- SUN 2300 RFPI 15049 21460-USB MON 0600 WWCR 3210 --- MON 0700 RFPI 6975 --- MON 1500 RFPI 21460-USB [irregular] --- TUE  1330 WWCR 15685 --- TUE 1900 RFPI 21460-USB --- WED 0300 RFPI 6975 --- WED 2200 WBCQ 7415 - -- On RFPI also check 15049 before 2100 and after 0300 in case its hours have re-expanded. Regards, Glenn  Hauser

PRESS RELEASE

Dear Radio Monitoring Colleague, I am pleased to advise that the "HIGH FREQUENCY SPECTRUM STUDY #5" is now available from the Electronic DX Press. This Study is a nine-page A4 booklet,  summarising the results of the 1998 coordinated monitoring project by several Australian DXing hobbyists. The Study was made in June 1998, during the Australian mid-winter period, corresponding to a yearly  smoothed sunspot number of 60, during the ascending phase of Sunspot Cycle #23. The purpose of the Study  was to monitor and document actual reception of HF broadcasting stations operating in the frequency range   2300-9999 kHz between 0000 and 0400 UTC, corresponding to local time here in eastern Australia of 10am to 2pm. The Study concentrated on commercial broadcasting stations - amateur and utility broadcasters were  excluded. Each winter, extraordinary midday reception is observed during eastern Australia on frequencies as  low as 6 MHz from all continents, over transmission paths of up to 30,000 km! This reception is locally  known as the "Antarctic Mode", due to many signal paths crossing the Antarctic region; the precise  propagation mechanism is unknown, and has been vigorously debated for some 30 years! The 1998 Midwinter Study resulted in several hundred entries, and shows transmitter country, organization, site,  reception time, and language. The Study is the 5th in the series. The full listing of studies available and  planned is:  #1 June 1996 (Midwinter Daytime Mode) 14 pages 4750-7490 kHz 0000-0400 UTC #2 January  1997 (Midsummer Daytime Mode) 12 pages 4750-7490 kHz 0000-0500 UTC #3 June 1997 (Midwinter  Daytime Mode) 12 pages 4750-7490 kHz 0000-0400 UTC #4 January 1998 (Midsummer Daytime Mode) **  11 pages 2500-9999 kHz 0000-0400 UTC #5 June 1998 (Midwinter Daytime Mode) 9 pages 2500-9999 kHz  0000-0400 UTC #6 January 1999 (Midsummer Daytime Mode) - this study is currently in progress and will  be released during February! (estimated 12 pages) 2500-9999 kHz 0000-0400 UTC ** Note: Study #4 covers  reception across all of Australia, with separate coverage of the Eastern states, and Western Australia The  Midsummer Daytime Mode is the corresponding reception phenomenon which occurs each summer, where  inexplicable reception of stations in all continents is observed from late morning, aross noon, and into mid-afternoon, on frequencies down to 4 MHz, with propagation across  substantially daylight paths!! The Studies  include discussion on possible propagation mechanisms and general background information, and will be of  value to anyone interested in HF propagation over long distances. Hard-copy versions of each study are available for a small charge to cover costs of printing and mailing: - to Australian addresses: Aus dollars 5 -  elsewhere via economy airmail: USD 5, 5 IRCs, Aus Dollars 8 Payment please by cash, (Aust or US), IRCs,   cheques in Australian currency drawn on Australian banks, GIRO, money orders or postal orders. Payments  should be for the credit of Robert J. Padula. Available from: Electronic DX Press, 404 Mont Albert Road, Surrey Hills, Victoria 3127, Australia, Tel/FAX: +61 3 9898 2906 E-mail: <bpadula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

END