[HCDX]: Re: Grounding!

Jerry:

I saw your HCDX postings last week on Grounding. Good stuff. I've got a swamp
about 75 feet from the shack. I've been considering putting in a copper pipe
down there and running a ground wire to it. But it seems to me that the long
distance of the wire would defeat the good grounding characteristics of the
swamp, and that a mesh screen close to the shack window with a short ground
wire would work just as well. I've got the same dilemma with my FM/TV
reception. We live in a river valley so FM/TV reception is poor. I've thought
of putting the antenna up on the hill, but I've always assumed the exhorbitant
lead-in lengths (500+ feet) would eat up all the gain derived from the extra
height.

Oh well, I guess I'll never know until I try it out.

Take care and 73's

Mark Mohrmann
Coventry, Vt. USA
mohrmannm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jerry.monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Also, if on your property you have a low lying wet spot maybe a swamp, put
> your ground there. Driving 100 10 foot ground rods and burying mesh screen
> in a sand dune does not do much, but a single ground rod into the edge of
> pond or small lake will go a long ways for creating superior RF ground
> performance.

How far away can the swamp be before the distance you run your ground wire to
the swamp has the same properties as a short wire to a screen mesh right
outside your shack window?