[HCDX]: Beverages

I have found quite by accident that shortening the beverage does have
benefits. I used to have better than 2000 feet going NNW at about 350
degrees. It was great for NW Canadians and few Alaskans not too far off
the beam. The beam was kind of tight alright. Even the South Central and
Western Alaskans did't come in on it. Well about three years ago, a
bunch of the wire was stolen. Infact it happened twice. I am usinga very
tough copper coated steel wire that can be soldered to. It never breaks
on its own, even if a tree or branch falls on it during a storm. Anyway,
after the second time I replaced the wire and it was stolen again, I
decided to move the wire a ew feet to the West buried in the brambles.
It worked fine and  none of the wire has been stolen again. It did take
me several days to run the wire hrough the brambles and it wasn't easy.
Since it was quite a job, I stopped after about 900 feet to give it a
try. That is where I left it at 900 feet as it works better. The
Northern Canadians still come in, ut the lobe is much more broad and it
gets everything from Northern Siberians to  Alberta stations. It even
gets TAs petty well when there is an opening, logged Germany-972 and
Sweden-1179 on it.
There aren't many Canadian MW stations to the North of Central B.C., and
I have all QSL'd except for a couple . One on 1230 khz, Kitimat, B.C., I
have yet to hear mainly because I have a local on 1230 khz. I logged and
QSL'd . The other is CHAK-860 with CFPR-Prince Rupert, B.C. running 24
hours
   The beverage works well even at 900 feet. We had a solar flare the
other day that pretty much knocked out the North, on most of my
antennas, except the Northern Beverage where I am still hearing most of
the Northern & Central B.C. stations, plus High Level, AB on 530 khz. So
even 900 feet works very well to the NNW.
73s, Patrick Martin-Seaside  OR (USA