[HCDX]: One last beverage question

Would like to hear from you guys on how you feel about running the beverages
partially along the ground?

On our recent trip to the Coorong in South Australia we were faced with
having to cross the odd road and instead of putting the antenna high up over
the road we just gently bent it so it ran along the road and  back up to
pole height again.

The 600m bev appeared to work fine and to me the beverage seems to be a
hardy beast in that it can survive the odd twist or height variation because
of the terrain. In a perfect world we would like it at the same height and
as straight as possible. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Would you agree
the effect of the road would be minimal.

The other point is when running an antenna out at say 1000m and you run out
of poles for the last 300m, would it be better not running the antenna out
that extra 300m because it was on the ground? How much do you think the part
along the ground would affect the signal directivity?

If you had to do this would you put the section along the ground first? or
at the end. Or as I said not at all. Curious questions. Of course we  would
like to have the entire length on poles.

73
Dave

This Email originated from David Onley
Mediumwave & Tropical Band Dxer