Re: [HCDX]: Loop Antennas - Homebrew Designs!

Chris Watkins wrote:

> Does anyone have some design ideas for loop antennas to cover the MW & SW

Here's an article on my page -- a 500 kHz to 4000 kHz loop by KC2AU:

 http://www.inforamp.net/~funk/500_4000kHzloop.html

Joe Carr's Receiving Antenna Handbook also discusses loops for shortwave.

By using alligator clips and selectively shorting together turns 7&6 and/or 5
and turns 1&2 and/or 3 of  a 7 turn 1 metre loop, I was able to use it on 120,
90, and with  lesser performance on 60 metres. The loop well with respect to
noise compared to a 25 metre longwire mounted atop the roof  of my Guelph
apartment. Though not really directional, it allowed me to nicely peak
signals.

Using it, I heard one of the last transmissions of Falklands Radio on 120
metres. ODXA editor David Clark was listening to the same station on the same
night while using a 100 metre antenna aimed South. When we compared logs, he
agreed that my reception seemed at par with his. Another ODXA editor and
Tropical Band guru, Tom Williamson, DXed for years from his apartment in
Guelph using only a homemade loop cut specifically for the Tropical Bands.

There are a number of ODXA articles at:
http://www.durhamradio.ca/odxa/reprint1.html  Also the antennas section of my
page at: http://home.inforamp.net/~funk/page6.html may contain additional
information which you might find useful.
--
Regards,
Werner Funkenhauser