Re: [HCDX]: Beverage - how long?

Karel,

	It depends on what you are trying to do. I have tried beverages in
excess of 2500 meters and my experience says that they are almost too
directional for most applications.  However, if you are intentionally
trying to narrow the beam down to pick up stations in a certain
direction, they fit the bill.  Of course, there is a point of
diminishing returns.

	In Utah, I set up a 2500 meter beverage which pointed at Manitoba
and Minnesota and to points east.  On several channels, at sunrise
numerous East Coast Daytimers were audible.  On 740, before they
signed on for the day (This was in the early 80's), I heard the
station in Newfoundland.  On 730, CKDM was like a local until they
signed off. CKLG and XEX which were audible on the car radio and
portables not connected to the Beverage.  Stations to the side of the
beam were reduced to a point of being barely audible.  I wish I would
have had more time to make a more comprehensive survey.

Bill

> I have read somewhere that the most effective are 3 wavelengths. To built
> a beverage longer than 5 wavelenghts is not (they say) worth of effort as
> its gain raises only very slowly. Anybody with different experience?
>
> GOOD DX,
>
> Karel Honzik,
> the Czech Republic

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland, USA
NRD-525
Bill's Ultimate TIS Digest
http://www.erols.com/wharms/tis/
Check out #swl and #MWDX IRC Chat on EF-Net.  Ask me!