[HCDX]: Radio Shack "Magic Speaker" back in stock !

[HCDX]: Radio Shack "Magic Speaker" back in stock !

Some may remember that about 5 years ago, Radio Shack
marketed a 2-way speaker using a driver alignment consisting of a
4" woofer and 1" dome tweeter.  There was also a rear panel
mounted bass port which I believe to be the secret to this speakers
easy driveability at the typical 1-2 watt power levels found in most
communications receivers.  The combination of the port and use of
a 4" low/mid frequency driver (4" drivers disperse the human voice
nearly perfectly, according to James B. Lansing Sound, JBL).   All
were mounted in a black aluminium cabinet
 7"(T) X 4-1/2" (W)  X 4-3/8" (D including grill).  This was the model
PRO-7, catalogue # 40-2066 closed out at the price of $39US.

This speaker was well known as being the top choice when used
as an external speaker in combination with about any radio
receiver.  Unfortunately, Radio Shack stopped marketing this
model just after it "caught on" in the radio hobby community.

The speaker has returned !  Radio Shack has re-introduced this
exact speaker (as near as I can tell) as the model PRO X44AV,
cat # 40-2080.

I removed the grills from both it and one of my older PRO-7's and
examined the drivers closely.  Both the all important 4" low/mid
driver and 1" dome tweeter appeared virtually identical in both the
speakers.  The rear firing bass port, cabinet dimensions and even
the cabinet bolt alignments were also identical.

The only difference I saw was the the older PRO-7 weighs 4-1/2 lbs
(2.1 kilos) and the new PRO XV44 weighs slightly more at 4-7/8
lbs (2.25 kilos).  The power handling specs have been stated a bit
differently with both speakers having a "power handling" of 50W
RMS but the PRO XV44 has an additional, "maximum power"
rating of 100W (no RMS referred to).  Thus, a reasonable
conclusion might be that there is a slightly larger magnet in the
new PRO VX44 4" driver to accommodate the "additional" power
headroom.

I connecting both to my KWZ-30 and R8B, I would say they sound
virtually identical.

If you have access to a Radio Shack, I highly recommend one.
BTW, they are on sale just now for, you guessed it, $39.95.
Chuck Rippel
Cornland, VA
SWBC DX'er since 1971
Located on NC/VA Line 30KM inland from the Atlantic Coast
wa4hhg@xxxxxxxxx
WJ-HF1000A, R8B, R390A/Sherwood SE-3, Harris RF590, Collins HF-2050

WWW Site:
http://www.avslvb.com/R390A/index.html
Be sure to check the SWBC DX/Listening Section