[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX Report 99-12

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-12, March 10, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages.}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 980: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor980.html

ANTARCTICA. If LRA36's schedule is now limited to 1800-2100, we can
forget about hearing it in central NAm, due to overpowering signal
with wideband splatter from Greece via VOA on 15485, which is on
until 2200, as noted March 8 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 980)

ANTARCTICA. RNASG, 15475.8, *2207-2357* Feb 21. Surprisingly good
signal. Sign on with Spanish ballads. Mostly continuous Spanish pops/
ballads. Many IDs by YL thruout including 2212, 2254, 2325, 2351.
Abruptly pulled plug at 2357. Nothing heard on Feb 24 or 26 (Brian
Alexander, PA via Hauser)

ANTARCTICA. Radio Nacional Arcangel heard in Ireland Mon 08
Mar...2025 to closedown at 2105 UT. Freq 15475.80 exactly, when
receiver warmed up.  S5-S7. Nil interference. Noisy, but by
natural causes. No deep fades. Two definite IDs at 2035 & 2102
UT respectively. Propagation path from Esperanza Base,
Antarctica to Ireland approx 8,500 miles, north-northeast
bearing. Signal starting by daylight and heard in the early
hours of darkenss my location. Almost certainly helpful greyline
propagation en route.  Debilitating Auroral Zone had drifted
southward at time of catch but my location was just spared.
Theoretically, Dxers in Western Europe could have caught the
signal, but I'd say Northern Ireland, Scotland and Nordic
Countries hadn't a chance on the night in the timeframe
mentioned. (Finbarr O'Driscoll, Ireland, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

COLOMBIA. CLANDESTINE. 6168.3 VOZ DE LA RESISTENCIA. 1146-1201 March 6.
New frequency, ex 6239. Poltical comments and music. Comunicado of
Comando Central del Magdalena. Maybe this is a station reported by
Jonhson as La Voz de la Selva from Florencia -- this station is inactive
for several years. (Rafael Rodriguez R., Bogota, Colombia, March 8,
WORLD OF RADIO 980)

DEUTSCHES REICH [non]. The bad news for this week is that Ernst Zundel
is back on the air. I heard him today ending his program at 16:35 UTC on
WGTG, 9400.  I do not know what time the show began, or how long it
was, or why it ended at this rather odd time.  Among the things Zundel
was saying was that Roosevelt and the Jews were responsible for World
War II, that Hitler was justified in taking the Sudetenland and invading
Poland, and that, if the West, and the Jews had not intervened, Hitler
would have been content, and there would have been no war.  I'll have to
try to remember to check next Monday and see if he is on every week.
(Tim Hendel, AL, March 8, WORLD OF RADIO 980)

What a way to "glorify God". Checked the next day at 1610 as Frantz
was easing into USB during his rant against so-called Christians he
had dealings with who were really "lying dogs". Said Zundel was sked
for 11-11:30 am ET but was running late due to Dave's "blabbering".
Said Zundel was example of RESPONSIBLE --emphasis his-- free speech,
and offered equal time at equal rates to rebut, e.g. in following half
hour which was available. Said Zundel "doesn't sound unreasonable."
Finally started Voice of Freedom at 1619 (Glenn Hauser, WOR 980 and
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

IRAN [non]. As far as information about our organization is concerned,
anybody can find some info about us in the net. Our address is
http://www.chair.org. Chair stands for Committee for Humanitarian
Assistance to Iranian Refugees. Yours (Eric Javadi, March 5 via Tom
Sundstrom via Hauser)

Here's the home page of http://www.chair.org -- there are some other
pages with details of specific cases of mistreatment of refugees, and
in particular of women in Iran. Nothing has been found on the site
about the radio program, now M-F 1400-1430 on WWCR 15685. Since CHAIR
clearly opposes the Islamic Republic of Iran, although it may not
promote violent overthrow of the government, I believe it and its
program qualify as clandestine (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 980)

CHAIR - Committee for Humanitarian Assistance to Iranian Refugees

WHAT IS CHAIR? BACKGROUND

The Committee for Humanitarian Assistance to Iranian Refugees (CHAIR)
was created in 1992 with the mission to empower Iranian refugees and
asylum seekers to promote and protect their rights within a
participatory framework, locally and globally. CHAIR was founded on the
premise that refugees and asylum seekers who have access to resources
and support they need for survival, who are aware and informed of their
rights and the root causes of their problems, and who are organized in
groups around mutual concerns, are empowered to articulate and struggle
for social changes.

PROGRAMS

In carrying out its activities, CHAIR employs several strategies,
including advocacy, education, organizing, collective power sharing and
participation, ongoing dialoguing and collaborative relationships with
other organizations. CHAIR has the following goals and objectives in its
four program areas:

The Advocacy Program advocates for the general right to asylum for those
who have fled the Islamic Republic of Iran; for changes in structures,
policies and institutions that negatively affect refugee rights; and to
expose the root cause of Iranian refugee flow - the Islamic Republic of
Iran. Internationally, CHAIR works under the auspices of the
International Federation of Iranian Refugees (IFIR) of which CHAIR is a
member.

The Organizing Program aims to build a constituency base for collective
action against the Islamic Republic of Iran and anti-refugee policies
and practices to obtain solutions and power.

The Education Program aims to provide refugees and asylum seekers with
information on their rights, the refugee definition and procedures and
expose the Islamic Republic of Iran. Hambastegi (Solidarity), the
International Federation of Iranian Refugees (IFIR) publication, is also
CHAIR's publication.

The Women's Program aims to raise awareness on the status of women in
Iran, advocate for gender-based asylum and expose the Islamic regime's
treatment of women. As a member of the International Campaign in Defense
of Women's Rights in Iran (ICDWRI), CHAIR conducts its international
women's rights work under the auspices of ICDWRI.

FUNDING

CHAIR is funded by private foundations and individual donors. The New
York Association for New Americans (NYANA) provides CHAIR with free
office space. (CHAIR March 8 via Hauser)

NICARAGUA. I noted your report about R. Miskut in March MONITORING
TIMES. FYI, I have just returned from station. Tower newly erected
last summer got destroyed by Hurricane Mitch. FM transmitter
sustained major water damage. Staff just re-erected tower. SW plate
amplifier is being repaired at this time, as is FM transmitter.
Operations continue on FM with auxiliary transmitter, and on SW 5770
with exciter. I just completed canoe tour of Rio Coco SW target area
on Nicaraguan/Honduran border and SW signal is excellent there even
with only exciter operating. It is expected possible to get 8877 PA
operating again by summer if new tube can be acquired. I'll keep
you informed on progress (John C. Freeman, Tech Systems, NC, Feb 27,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 980)

U S A. Yes! Spectrum returned -- Feb 28 9 pm EST Sunday (0200 UT
Monday) on 5070. Runs 1 hour as lead-in to The Mike Jarmus Show. I
managed to tape the return though missed first few minutes finding
blank tape. No excuse on extended hiatus other than "stuff continued
to happen." Stan Lockwood, Mark Emmanuel were on with Scott Fybush
on phone and Dave Marthouse on phone from VA. They did some topical
items and took phone calls. The Spectrum gang hope to return to their
old slot Saturday 10 pm EST (Sunday 0300 UT) in near future because
it worked out well and the hosts work other jobs. They're looking for
sponsors too. A WWCR honcho welcomed them back and there was mention
of possibly working out a return to the old slot (Bob Thomas, CT,
WORLD OF RADIO 980)

The "old slot" is now occupied by the "DX Block" of VOA CW and WOR!
(Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 980)                               ###