[HCDX]: tfw 84 3/3

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright  Part  3
Year   4  Number  84 - Rome, April 1999

SERBIA- R. Yugoslavia's new sked, for English at 1900-1930 to Au is
evidently on 7230, as several sources quote announcements,  including
Kim Elliott, Bob Thomas; we were uncertain of the third digit, due to a
selective fade transforming 3 into 2 in giving it as 7220. On local
Saturday night here, RY was still on old sked, with no UT Sunday
English, instead Serbian at 0100 on 7115, but at 0200 English on 7130
for last time; by UT Monday the A-99 had gone into effect with new 9580
at 0100, but at 0530 when 9580 is supposed to be on to WNAm, frequency
was dominated by French--ANO Gabon, I guess. RY's broadcasts are a
continuous stream of anti-NATO and anti-American propaganda, with little
real news on details of the war. Listening to this, you would never know
the Serbs are committing genocide in Kosova  (very terrible the
continuous images on TV !! Ed.)(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

SERBIA- R. Yugoslavia was still on winter schedule, confirmed UT Thu
March 25 at 0100 on 7115, 0200 on 7130 in English to North America.
Usual propaganda, good reception. Expect to move one hour earlier on
same from March 28, if they still exist (Glenn Hauser, OK, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-14, March 25)

SERBIA [non]. Julia Glenn-Pickett, now in London, but who has worked for
B-92 was interviewed by Terry Gross on the March 29 NPR Fresh Air; among
other things she revealed that B-92 stands not only for Belgrade, 92.5
MHz FM, but "92" is also the Serbian  equivalent of "911". She also said
the bombing would do nothing but consolidate the Serbs in opposition to
NATO and the west; no one there sees it as anti- Milosovic rather than
anti-Serb (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

SPAIN- On REE Radio Waves March 28 around 0025-0035 on 6055, Justin Coe
gave new English schedule at the last minute: 0000 and 0100 to
NAm/Au/Pacific Rim [really?] new 15385 ---  0500 to same still on
6055 ---  2000 M-F Europe new 15285 ex-9680, and Af still 9595 --- 2105
Sat and 2100 Sunday Europe on 15105, Africa 9595. Also announced an
E-mail address for the English service new to  me, which since it is
based on Spanish(!) they had to spell out:
<lenguas_extranjeras.rne@xxxxxxx>  The wacky situation again this summer
for the Eu/Af broadcasts with not only different times but different
frequencies depending on day of week I think is due to the exigencies of
the much higher priority Spanish programming, perhaps due to stupid
weekend ballgames. Sure enough, REE was on 15385 in English at 0024 UT
Monday March 29 check, but very weak and unreadable here; typical
automatic timesignal at 0030, and 6055 was off; no  better during the
0100 hour, and was gone at 0155 check. Joe Hanlon and I agree that REE
overdid the MUF prediction for this  transmission, tho it may well make
it a good portion of the summer, especially further east. 11 MHz band,
or 13 at the most, would have been preferable. At 2025 check Monday Mar
29, both 15285 and 9595 were audible but only fair; on a better day may
indeed be an  alternative in NAm to the evening broadcasts. BTW already
for a few weeks, REE has expanded into the 13m band in a big way, with
several frequencies most of the day in Spanish, best here being 21700
(Glenn Hauser, OK, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-15, March 29)

SWITZERLAND- I can confirm that the Website is now operative under the
URL <http://www.swissinfo.org> and <http://www.sri.ch >will also work.
The idea of the new site is that it is not just SRI, but rather THE
place to go for any and all information about Switzerland. It is full of
Swiss-related links, and it also features audio files which include the
latest news and current affairs program, as well as features like
Capital Letters, The Name Game, and Rendezvous Tourism. The site is
still being fine-tuned, so changes can be  expected. Suggestions and
criticisms very welcome (there's an email link on the site). I was with
the SRI Internet project for four months to help initiate it, but am now
back 100% with the English Service. I have not been very evident on
shortwave, however, since my  primary job now is hosting the new
'Mid-Morning' talk show between 0900 and 1100 CET, Monday through
Friday, three weeks a  month. It is carried in Europe only via Astra D
and cable. (Bob Zanotti, SRI, March 27, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

UAE-  Checked UAE Radio, Dubai, 21605, March 23 at 1610, to find jazzy
piano music, no talk feature, and 1630 Julia Wheeler gave wrong
frequencies 11795, 13630, 13675 and 15395, not 21605. The only other one
I could hear was 13675. Why is it so hard for a station to keep this
info straight? English news to about 1640* (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-14, March 25)

U K O G B A N I- Merlin Network One, 11875, not heard UT March 28 at
0155 but instead Havana in Spanish; however, MNO was  there a bit later
the following date, and also on 17695 -- surely via Canada -- around
2100 on March 28 (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

U K O G B A N I- BBC WS: We are badly in need of a 9 MHz NAm relay
frequency after 0200, ever more so as summer progresses, but all we've
got are 6175-Canada/Delano; 6185 Delano still clashing with Mexico; and
of course Antigua 5975 - all of them subject to noisy conditions. In
previous seasons, the 6185 usage was on 9895 until 0330 or 0430; and
9590 itself tho providing the BEST signal here in CNAm, remains not even
designated for us but for CAm/Carib (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

U K O G B A N I. Without even trying -- indeed while trying to hear/
tape certain programming as listed, we have found several  instances of
BBC WS NOT running its own programming as scheduled -- what we hear does
not match March BBC On Air, April BBC On Air, or this particular week's
sked as recently published here! -- So this does not seem to be so much
a case of Week of  Confusion/Transition, but BBC simply making
last-minute changes without bothering to tell anyone, or realize the
importance of making what actually broadcasts mesh with what it says it
is going to broadcast! Viz.: Sunday March 28 taping via KMUW at
0920-0950, for My Century, we found instead the last 10 minutes of Write
On which therefore started at 0915 instead of scheduled 0905, and first
20 minutes of My Century, which evidently continued until 1000 instead
of 0950 scheduled Sports Roundup. (no, these are not stream feed
mistakes either, as they correspond no more to Af and As than they do to
AE.) Basic problem is evidently irrestible urge to force-feed us even
more news on the hour due to certain world events. Monday March 29
taping via KMUW at 0920-0950 for Counterpoint, we got instead the last
half hour of Concert Hall playing old Beecham recordings, with no
explanation. Fine, but on AE, Concert Hall supposedly airs  only Sunday
at 1515. Next week's preview: the late Yehudi Menuhin.  Monday March 29
at 1913 check on 12095, which was coming in well enough, the news was
still in progress. Health Matters was supposed to be on at 1905-1930,
but evidently did not start until 1920. At 1945 break said Discovery
tomorrow (Tuesday) would be "at the slightly later time of 1920" about
the secrets of Antarctica. And at 1945 Off the Shelf -- so scheduled
Farming World at 1930 was shut out (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

UNITED KINGDOM- BBC Latin American Service: Official info released in a
internal memorandum reports on the cut of frequencies -NOT times- in the
SW skedf of the BBC for the American continent. Changes effective since
the beginning of the new period at the end of March. The following fq's
will be dropped (all times UTC):  5970 - Ascension - 0000-0200 - EG to
the NO of L.America --- 12095 - Ascension - 2000-2100 - EG to Brasil ---
9915 - Skelton - 2200-2400 - EG to the Southern cone of Latin
America --- 6110 - Antigua - 2130-2215 - PP to Brasil --- 15390 -
Ascension - (times not specified pse confirm with the WRTH) - PP to
Brasil 5975 - Antigua - 0600-0800 - EG to the West Coast of USA 17820 -
Ascension - 1100 a 1130 - SP towards the North of L Am.  Technical
reports from Merlin Communications say that the SW coverage of the
region is good, although they recognize a weakening of the sigs in South
America. "English by Radio" bilingual programs which depend from BBC
English will be cut next year. ("BBC World Service" via Roberto Belo via
Horacio Nigro-Uruguay, Mar 26)

USA- Notes from this week's Al Weiner Worldwide, WBCQ, 7415, Fri 8-9 pm
ET. Comments on programs are Al's, not ours. Since he gives times in
Eastern, and is about to shift from EST to EDT, we'll follow suit here;
times are pm u.o.s. Amos 'n' Andy, original  politically incorrect but
historical series will start March 29, M-F at midnight for 15 minutes.
Did he say there would be only 10  episodes? Courtesy of Uncle Ed. Uncle
Ed's Musical Memories, Mon and Wed 4-5, really fun music of the 20s, 30s
and 40s. Jean  Shepherd Show, raw and uncut, courtesy of Gary Bourgois,
Friday 4:30-5 New Randi Steele Show, this Sat 4-5, "another whopper".
She  is on an anti-Giuliani crusade, to prevent him from becoming
Attorney General Tom & Darryl Show, Sunday midnight, was expanded to 3
hours last week thanks to a benefactor, getting better every week, with
discussions of radio history, oldtime SW, TV (via Glenn Hauser, REVIEW
OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

USA- From the A-99 IBB frequency list, here's one example, to show what
competition WBCQ now faces: 7415.0 0430-0500 VOA PORT BOT 100 010
Afr --- 7415.0 0500-0530 VOA HAUS BOT 100 010 Afr --- 7415.0 1800-1900
VOA ENGL BOT 100 350 Afr --- 7415.0 1900-2130 VOA ENGL BOT 100 010
Afr --- 7415.0 2130-2200 VOA ENGL BOT 100 010 Afr SU-FR --- 7415.0
2200-2230 VOA ENGL BOT 100 010 Afr MO-FR (via John Norfolk, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-15, March 29)

USA- KTBK, 1700, Sherman TX, DX test, I almost forgot to check until it
was too late, at 0201 UT Sun March 28, but the test was still going with
MCW and voice IDs, mostly overridden by Des Moines; last heard at 0214
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-15, March 29)

USA- I have some hope that Greece via Delano 15485 1800-2200 will be
going back to 17 MHz for A-99 as it did last summer, fixing the splatter
problem upon Antarctica 15475.8. Now there's an even worse problem from
some VOA transmitter with the French service, noted at 1957 past 2000
with music (no news on the hour) originating on 15365 which was somewhat
distorted, but splatter first noticed bothering RFPI on 15049! Then
found the splatter audible all the way up to 15700 as well; it was //
17640; no other parallels found on 11, 13 or 21 MHz bands (Glenn Hauser,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-14,
March 25)

USA-  Re-VOA 15365 midday... I meant to send you a message earlier in
the week about this, but since you brought it up... this thing (wherever
it's from) [Greenville, and I've told them about it and forwarded this
message -gh] is one distorted, splattering son-of-a-female-dog! Monday
3/21 around 1930 it was so distorted it sounded like it was FMing... the
spurs and garbage it was generating some 500 kHz or more either
direction sounded rather like local FM spurs too, which had me worried
'til I traced the audio back to this mess on 15365. What's going on
here?? (Randy Stewart, Springfield MO, 3/24, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-14, March 25)

USA-  [non]. The KVOH transmission on 5975 clashing with BBC in the
0700-0800 hour reported some weeks ago by Ivan Grishin was not from Los
Angeles, but relay via DTK Germany for Europe (George McClintock, TN via
Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-14, March 25)

USA- This week's WHR fiascos affecting the only show worth hearing on
their entire schedule, DXing with Cumbre. Contrary to revised revised
DWC sked, I tuned in by 2300 Friday March 19 on WHRA 13760, and sure
enough, DWC started promptly then, not at 2305 or 2330 as in skeds.
Here's what happened on the next scheduled airing, 0230 UT Sat on KWHR
17510: before 0230 some other program; 0230 DEAD AIR FOR 17 MINUTES!
Then WHR T-shirt ad, 0248 start DWC at top, but cut it off at 0300 for
USA News. Standard  remarx on WHR incompetence (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-14, March 25)

USA- Notes from Al Weiner Worldwide, UT Sat March 20 0100-0202, WBCQ
7415: he calls it the Friday edition, but went on to say he does this
only once a week. He wants to give out program schedule but always waits
too long until the hour is almost over, callers ramble on, etc. and this
time ran it two minutes over to get some of that in. Said the
transmitter is a Harris PDM, the only one known to have been converted
from MW to SW. A second studio is now being built, with a 16-channel
Siemens board which was originally used by ABC-TV for the 1976 Olympics.
This studio will have a computer to help store music, IDs, etc., but
WBCQ will never be automated. Plan to start wiring in the second
transmitter in May. New show is Uncle Ed's Musical Memories, Mon and Wed
4-5 pm ET. New at 7-8 pm M-F is Freedom and Truth (which I heard the
tail of before AWW--another anti-New World Order show) and which sells
precious metals. At end of month will resume broadcasting at 10 pm when
VOA [Botswana] goes back to their 10-degree antenna. There's a New Randi
Steele show, but was interrupted before he could give the time (Glenn
Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT
99-14, March 25)

YUGOSLAVIA- (non) RADIO B92 - FURTHER NEWS. I received further news this
evening that Radio B92 will be re-broadcast on the short wave band to
Yugoslavia and much of Europe. The short wave broadcast will operate
this weekend from 0700 UTC (Saturday) on 11415 KHZ USB. Radio B92 is
also still being carried on Eutelsat. Their capacity to continue a news
service may be severely limited but please tune in and relay their
service on your radio station. Radio B92 is continuing to broadcast on
the internet  <http://www.b92.net/>. There is also a regularly updated
news service (English and Serbian) concerning current developments in
the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia on the web site. Radio B92, Belgrade,
Yugoslavia fax: +381-11-322-4378. Radio B92 Official Web Site ---
<http://www.b92.net/>. (Steve Buckley / Andrea Borgnino, Italy via F.
Clemente, Italy)

DX PROGRAMS

WORLD OF RADIO SHORTWAVE-ONLY SCHEDULE FROM APRIL 4, Days and times
strictly UT:  Wed 2100 WBCQ 7415 --- Fri 1930 RFPI 21460-USB 15049 ---
Sat 0330 RFPI 15049 6975 --- Sat 1130 RFPI 6975 --- Sat 1800 RFPI
21460-USB 15049 --- Sun 0200 RFPI 15049 6975 --- Sun 0229 WWCR 5070 ---
Sun 0630 WWCR 5070 --- Sun 0930 WWCR 5070 --- Sun 1000 RFPI 6975 --- Sun
2300 RFPI 21460-USB 15049 --- Mon 0501 WWCR 3210 --- Mon 0700 RFPI 15049
6975 --- Tue 1230 WWCR 15685 --- Tue 1900 RFPI 21460-USB 15049 --- Tue
2030 WWCR 15685 --- Wed 0300 RFPI 15049 6975.  For latest update on all
our broadcasts and publications, see
<http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio> Regards, Glenn Hauser

Dxing with Cumbre - This is a tentative A-99 schedule, based on what
information I have from World Harvest Radio. Joe Brashier says that
something final will be ready by early next week, but adjustments have
to be made to conform to Daylight Time (Summer Time) in the U.S. Please
note that Angel 1, 2 and 5 change time for the summer, but the Angel 3
and 4 transmitters at KWHR in Hawaii do not shift time. Here's something
that might help you tune in until everything is straightened out.
Frequencies are in kHz; times are UTC. WHRI ANGEL I (Americas/Caribbean)
Sat 0500 7315 --- Sat 0730 7315 --- Sat 1730 9495 --- Sat 2230 9495 ---
WHRI ANGEL II  (Eur/Mideast/Afr/Rus/N Am) Sat 0500 5755 --- Sat 0730
5755 --- Sun 0300 5755 --- Sun 0430 5755 ---  Sun 1730 13760 --- Sun
2300 5755 --- KWHR ANGEL III (Asia) Sat 0230 17510 --- Sat 0600
17780 --- Sun 0600 17780 --- Sun 1830 9930 --- KWHR ANGEL IV (South
Pacific) Sat 0800 11565 (all Angel IV transmissions of Cumbre are on
this fqy) --- Sat 1030 --- Sun 1030 --- Sun 1300 --- WHRA ANGEL V
(Africa/Mideast) (may also be audible for many WHRI listeners) (Friday
transmission has been dropped) Sat 2030 15460 --- Sun 2130 13760 --- The
program may be heard on Real Audio whenever it is on shortwave at the
World Harvest website  <http://www.whr.org>. Also, it is audible on
demand at the Cumbre DX website <http://www.ralabs.com/cumbre>. The
postal address for shortwave reception reports: World Harvest Radio P.O.
Box 12 South Bend IN 46624 U.S.A. Thanks for listening and contributing,
and for your continued patience! We'll have a confirmed schedule for you
in a few days' time. 73--Marie Lamb. DXing with Cumbre

Join me for the "SOUTH PACIFIC DX REPORT" on Radio New Zealand
International, HCJB, AWR, and NZ's Radio Reading Service - LXA.  Full
details available from the South Pacific DX Resource web-site:
<http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/3216>Or you can listen to
RNZI's "Mailbox" here: <http://www.audionet.co.nz/ranz.html> (P.Ormandy,
New Zealand)

###