[HCDX]: tfw 85 3/3

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright - Part  3
Year   4  Number  85  - Rome, April 21  1999

-----------------
QSL s
-----------------

ECUADOR - 15550 kHz, DX-Topics (German dx-px by DTK via HCJB), f/d qsl
card, v/s Karsten Reibold, info sheet, in 34 days for a SASE to DX Team
Kircheim (DTK), Amalienweg 8, D-85551 Kircheim. (M.Schoech, Germany)

PIRATE EUROPE- 6220, Laser Hot Hits, f/d QSL, info sheet, and other
paper promo stuff in abt 2 mo. for taped rpt. (Valko, USA )

-----------------------
GLEANINGS

AUSTRALIA- RA's Feedback was missing without apology or explanation,
when checked at usual 0005 UT Sat April 10 on 21740; instead,
Asia-Pacific, Saturday edition. Via John Norfolk, new posted schedule
shows Feedback shifted to 0030 by when I had quit  listening. Extracting
all the Feedback times: UT Fri 2110, Sat 0030, 0610, Sun 0330. Also
check out Media Report, UT Thu 2330 etc. (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO
985 / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14)

AUSTRALIA- While RA announced to NAm 9580 would be on at 1100-1400, I
found it still loud and clear at 1510 (Glenn Hauser, OK / GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

BELGIUM- RVI's see-saw tilts the other way this week, with Radio World
missing from the UT Sunday April 11 0400 broadcast on  15565, but
instead Music from Flanders, which is the Saturday feature. So this time
they decided to put Radio World on UT Monday as  the *last* transmission
of the day's cycle, confirmed April 12. BTW, I usually find this
broadcast ironically marred by adjacent channel  Dutch on 15560,
presumably R. Nederland; site? (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 985 /
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14)

BULGARIA- Someone from R. Bulgaria was interviewed on REE's Radio Waves
April 11; mentioned that they now have English and  some other languages
on RA at <http://www.nationalradio.bg> where you may choose the two
domestic services, or R. Bulgaria external.  They pointed out that Sofia
is awfully close, as I had noticed, to Kosovo (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL  BROADCASTING /SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14)

CHINA PR-  Best frequency for CRI in English at 1200 is now 11675;
however there is FEBA co-channel until 1220 (Joe Hanlon, PA,  April 10
via Hauser / SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14)

COLOMBIA- R. Macarena, 5975, has been replaced by R. Autentica,
Villavecencio, heard April 2 at 1130-1210, part of the Cadena Radial
Autentica de Colombia, an evangelical organization (Rafael Rodriguez,
Bogota, via Hauser / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9)

COLOMBIA- RADIO AUTENTICA 5975. I contacted to Ligia Gomez, General
Manager of CRA (Cadena Radial Autentica) in Bogota, who confirmed the SW
operation from Villavicencio, the organization is very interested in to
take your evangelic message to distant regions in Colombia. Although
don´t promise QSL, Their ares interested in letters from listeners, send
to: Cadena Radial Autentica Ligia Gomez Calle 32 No. 16-12, Santafe de
Bogota D.C., Colombia, or directly to: Radio Autentica Villavicencio
Sandra Urrego Calle 38 No. 32-41 piso 7 Edificio Prollano Villavicencio,
Meta, Colombia. (Rafael Rodriguez, Colombia)

COSTA RICA- Notes from RFPI Mailbag, April 9 with Debra and James
Latham: Verifications currently not by card but by QSL letter,  uniquely
on recycled banana paper. Having severe problem getting Pacifica News
downloaded; takes 3-4 hours nightly trying to get it  and piece it
together. Re-evaluating whether it is really worth the trouble, trying
to get Pacifica to send RFPI a file directly. Interns at  RFPI are doing
a daily Kosovo report based on news from internet, 5-8 minutes
"throughout the day" but no specific times given -- I've yet to run
across it. People continue to be confused by grid program schedule and
the fact that UT days are one day ahead of NAm days  in our evenings. I
say, keep the sked that way, but always accompany with a fine print
explanation as done on this program and have two time/day columns, one
UT and the other CST/MDT. New website is up and running,
<http://www.rfpi.org> and new E-mail: <info@xxxxxxxx > Anyhow, the old
website and address will remain usable (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14 )

COSTA RICA- Glenn, Just entered <http://www.rfpi.org> into my browser
and connected to the new webpage. Started trying it this Saturday after
hearing the mailbag show. Couldn't connect to either website until
Sunday when I got the old one. Tried it today and the new one worked.
(John H. Carver Jr., Mid-North Indiana, April 7 / GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT
99-17, April 9)

COSTA RICA- RFPI notes from the April 2 Mailbag with Debra and James
Latham: It's been so windy that the 21460-USB antenna has not been
repaired; instead, the transmitter has been switched to a backup
antenna, the log-periodic, which should have slightly less gain. The
outage on 15049 turned out to have been caused by a bad switch on the
cooling blower. Dust is a continuing problem, from the  unpaved road
next to the transmitter room; despite large filters, some dust still
gets into the equipment. Fortunately, there has been  occasional rain
during this dry season. When the rains do come, power lines often fail.
There are plans to replace the totally inadequate 1948-vintage power
line serving RFPI this year with a whole new system, which will then be
extended as far as Jaco Beach area. There was only one letter in the
mailbag this week thanks to the usual Holy Week closedown of postal
services in CR. RFPI has been raising some funds by selling tapes of
some of its own produced programs, such as Millennium Dreams; and more
of them will be available for downloading from internet site, which will
have a much-simplified URL *such as* [but not necessarily] "rfpi.com"
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-16, April 5)

CUBA- [non]. R. Marti, 7405, ran slightly past 1400 March 31, including
a plug that it is now on iternet, including audio -- not sure if this is
really new -- at <http://www.ibb.gov/marti>(Glenn Hauser, OK/
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

ELEVEN METRES- Yes, its true, Hungary seems to have left 25[.700] MHz
after a short period of usage. RFI [25820] starts at 9 with an excellent
signal, but I doubt the scheduled closing time of 17 - seems to be much
earlier. About ten years ago, there was much more  activity on 25 MHz !
I remember for sure that besides RFE, the BBC was using several channels
(WS and Hausa), DW had at least one channel in German active, and there
were some more I can't remember - I think Dubai was among them. Even the
VoA was there, but I can't remember if this went through until the early
90's or if they stopped their 11m relays already in the mid 80's. They
were not audible too often in Europe. VoA had a Philippines relay active
and a Greenville transmitter - you should know more about them. I hope
that Merlin will soon learn that there is another band available - they
have just started using SW... Thanks for many WoRs! (Andre Schmidt,
Lautert/Germany, Apr 1, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

FRANCE- RFI in English at 1600 heard on 17850 and 17605 ex-17620; at
1400 still on 17560 but now clashes with DW in German (Joe Hanlon, PA,
April 3, via Hauser/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

IRAN - [non]. New Info on WWCR Persian (Farsi) Radio International
Program Today (4-12-99) I have listened to WWCR on 15685 at 1300 UT in
Persian (Farsi) Radio International. Radio International program is a
pro communist program. Seems to me they are connected to the Iranian
Communist Labor Party (It is outlawed in Iran). They have mentioned
their fax number for contacts. Fax: 416-515-6722 (anon./ SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-18, April 14)

IRAN- [non]. A Farsi-speaking monitor tells me that WWCR's Radio
(Porsesh) International, April 2 at 1400 on 15685, was a pro- communist
program, claiming they are the voice of Iranian Labor Communist Party.
This would seem to be at variance with the stance of CHAIR given on its
website (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

IRAQ- Dear Glen, Just a note to say that I heard Radio Iraq
International on 8th April at 21:17 UTC freq. 9685 Khz. Ident in
English "This is Baghdad'; very poor audio, sounded like they were
running on low voltage. Tx suddenly off at 21:28 UTC. 73s (Jonathan
Kempster, England, WORLD OF RADIO 985/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April
14)

IRELAND- [non]. Emerald Radio, the occasional school-produced series of
programs, is returning for a limited run on WWCR from April 26, M-F 1000
on 3210 and 5070. The next Ask WWCR hopes to interview producer Be'rnard
Evans (Ask WWCR April 4 via Hauser / SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

ISRAEL- Whatever became of the 5-minute English news in "prime time"
which would now be at 2330 on 15640, 15615, etc., during Hebrew? Not
heard at least since A-99 began, and confirmed missing April 8 (Joe
Hanlon, Glenn Hauser/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9)

KOREA SOUTH- Last minute changes for KBS relays via Sackville (announced
March 28). Spanish for South America will remain at 30 minutes for the
time being, although there are plans to increase the time to a full hour
in the near future. Now heard 1000-1030 UT on 11715, followed by English
for the US 1030-1100 on 11715 (replaces previously announced 9650 kHz
1100-1130 UT). Good reception in U.K. of English on 11715. Also, English
for Europe relayed from BBC Skelton is now 2100-2130 and not 2200-2230
as previously announced. Still on 3970 kHz. (Alan Holder, Isle of Wight,
April 6 via Hauser/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9)

KOREA, SOUTH- [non]. Contrary to info given by RKI Multiwave Feedback
two weeks ago we quoted, on Sunday April 4 we found English at the time
it would have been if the changes had not been made, 1030 on 11715 via
Canada, and barely audible as Bill Matthews talked about QSLs at 1043.
After 1100, 9650 was on in Korean. That's when English was supposed to
appear, but I gather from Ruben  Guilllermo Margenet that the expansion
of Spanish and consequent shift in English may not be made until May
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT
99-16, April 5)

LITHUANIA- It seems the new 100 kW transmitter at Sitkunai is finally on
the air. I heard them from the beginning of April, 0900-0930 Lithuanian;
0930-1000 English; 1000-1200 Domestic Services (I) and (II) in
Lithuanian - all on 9710 kHz for Europe. Good signal here. Still
co-channelling with Australia, but dominating until after 1000 when the
Australians start to fade out. The audio is more "punchy" so they are
obviously using a processor. Hopefully Lithuania can be persuaded to
move to a better frequency. Presumably they are using the new
transmitter instead of Juelich for the US on 9855 kHz 0000-0100 UTC for
North America. (Alan Holder, Isle of Wight, April 6 via Hauser/ GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9)

LITHUANIA- [non?]. Subject: Loud Lithuania For the last few days I have
been receiving a very strong signal from Radio Vilnius at 09:30 on 9710
kHz in English. Some time ago I heard that LRTV was about to install new
transmitters but I believe this newly improved signal is coming from
Juelich. On the subject of Juelich: a correction to the SRI schedule
given last month. English at 05:30 on 13635 is from Juelich as at 04:00.
Regards, (Peter Hallam, N. Ireland, April 6 via Hauser/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-17, April 9)

MONGOLIA-  As heard mentioning a couple weeks ago, VOM has moved from
12085 to 12015 for English; heard April 13 at 1130 in  Standard Chinese
on 12015; and 1200 opening English with new schedule: Au 1200 12015; SAs
1500 9720, 12015; Eu 1900 9720,  12015 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO
985 / SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14 )

NEW ZEALAND- Hi Glenn: I heard RNZI Mailbox tonight starting at 0305 on
17675 kHz. 73 (Mickey Delmage, Edmonton, Alberta, March 31) i.e. UT Thu
April 1; so next appearance April 15 (Hauser/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16,
April 5)

NEW ZEALAND- I am slowly working through all our web pages to see if
they are up to date. Yes I am trying to get our Web prog sched correct!
I can confirm the time for Mailbox is 0305 UT - this odd hour 03-04
Mon-Fri moves with the clocks. So come October it will revert to 0205
UT. (Adrian Sainsbury, RNZI, April 1, via Hauser/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT
99-16, April 5)

NIGERIA - [non]. ABS Radio did not appear on RFPI the third week, as
scheduled Thu April 8 at 2030 on 15049 and 21460-USB --  instead,
without explanation, Music Medicine played (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-18, April 14 )

NIGERIA- VON, 15120, has been temporarily off the air since March 23. I
spoke to the Director of Engineering on that date, who said the problem
was an electronic component that burned out for the service to
NAf/Eu/Am. They are waiting for a part to come in from Comcast in
Switzerland. (Gordon Hein, Alcester, SD, March 30, WORLD OF RADIO 983/
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

NIGERIA- [non]. ABS Radio, via RFPI, caught second program Thu April 1at
2029 on 15049 //21460-USB. Said would be in two languages today, Yoruba
and English; started talking about "Good News of Jesus", so now I wonder
if it's evangelical rather than clandestine -- or maybe just inspired by
Easter. Previous item was under COSTA RICA (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

PERU- 6987.1 RADIO SAN MIGUEL DE EL FAIQUE. 2245-2330 April 3 New freq.
ex 6895.2 Mx Folk. Advs. Bodeguita Virgen de las Mercedes, renovadora
de calzado El Paisano, Hostal Restaruant La Esperanza. ID: "Desde la
Region Grau, Dpto de Piura renace una luz en los andes peruanos,
comunicando e informando dia a dia en un instante llegando a sus hogares
con la orientacion y difusion de la palabra... Radio San Miguel de El
Faique fiel guardiana de su frontera..." (Rafael Rodriguez R., Santa Fe
de Bogota, DC, Colombia, April 6 via Hauser/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT
99-17, April 9)

ROMANIA- I've been listening to Radio Romania International every
evening while preparing dinner. At 2300, reception on 11810 starts out
only fair, but don't give up. Reception improves as the hour progresses,
ending up fairly good by 2400 sign-off. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., April 8,
REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17,
April 9)

ROMANIA- R. Romania makes one or two announcements on freq/sked. Damn if
I can make it out! Only two seem to be used at 0200 and 0400; too much
QRM and they have poor mod. Very rough copy. At 0200 UT I get 9570 fair
to good but never consistently day to day. Of the other old frequencies:
5990 has 5985 splash; 6155 hurt by CKZN-6160 Newfoundland; 9510 splash
from 9505 WYFR and RHC Spanish; 11830 has another station on it; can't
make it out. At 0400: 5990 has RFI; 6155 Austria; 9510 splashed by 9505;
9570 barely audible cuz 9575 VOA splashes (Bob Thomas, CT, March 29, via
Hauser/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

RUSSIA- Voice of Russia 1800-2100 on new 11675 (ex 12010). Excellent on
March 28. Also 0200-0500 on new 9665 (ex 7180). Very good on March 29.
(Ivan Grishin, Ont., REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ SHORTWAVE/DX
REPORT 99-16, April 5)

SERBIA- I monitored Radio Yugoslavia in Eng, now at 0000-0030 on 9580
(Mon-Sat I presume), then in Serbian 0030-0100 with sign-off at 0100. I
kept listening for them to mention of their new schedule, but they
didn't. I've noted that they devote the last part of their broadcast to
listeners comments on the current crisis there. I also tuned in 9580
Apr. 6 at 0530, but Africa #1 was all I heard. They're also on 6100 &
6185 at 2100, but those aren't propagating to NAm very well as summer
approaches. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., April 6, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9)

SERBIA- I heard Radio Yugoslavia mention their schedule at the end of
the 0000 broadcast April 7, in which they included both the 0100/0530
and 0000 / 0430 timings to North America. It seems that they just tacked
on the revised NAm timings to the end of their old schedule, not
bothering to remove the old timings. At least they got the freq of 9580
right! (Ivan Grishin, Ont., REVIEW OF  INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9)

SERBIA- In support of Operation Allied Force, elements of the
Pennsylvania Air National Guard's 193rd Special Operations Wing have
deployed to Germany. Two of the unit's "Commando Solo" aircraft left
Harrisburg International Airport Saturday night [March 27], along with
one support aircraft. Additional personnel and equipment will depart in
a military airlift later this week. In all, approximately 100  members
of the 193rd will take part in the mission. The "Commando Solo," which
the 193rd flies, is a specially modified EC-130  turboprop aircraft. It
serves as an airborne broadcasting platform, transmitting messages over
radio and television frequencies. Previous deployments have been carried
out in support of the Persian Gulf War and during operations in Haiti
and Bosnia (Steven Thomma and Richard Parker, of Knight Ridder,
Washington, in Harrisburg Patriot-News March 29 via P-mail from Brian
Alexander, WORLD OF RADIO 984/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17, April 9)

SERBIA- Yugoslavia: I tuned in last night Apr. 5 just before 0100 on
9580 to hear Radio Yugoslavia sign off in Serbian, but stayed off past
0100. Their web-site shows their new schedule valid for just one week,
28 March-4 April. No indication of schedule beyond April 4th. More
monitoring needed on this one. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., April 5, R.I.B. /
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16, April 5)

THAILAND- Thailand 0030-0100 good on new 15395 March 29. (Ivan Grishin,
Ont., Joe Hanlon, PA, WORLD OF RADIO 983/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16,
April 5)

UKRAINE- RUI 1100-1200 on 21520. Extremely poor, no definite ID on Mar
28. Tried to monitor for Ukraine at 2100, 0000 & 0300,  but could not
find them. Summer freqs of 9550 & 12040 definitely absent (Ivan Grishin,
Ont., REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-16,
April 5)

USA - This Friday afternoon, April 9, I was within reach of a SW radio
at 2030 for WBCQ 7415, to check for Jean Shepherd show as Al  Weiner had
previously mentioned on AWW, but which is missing from the posted WBCQ
schedule which doesn't show anything before  1730 ET on Friday -- when
you have a website, why not post accurate program schedules, changed as
often as necessary, even if it  includes "unofficial" filler?? Indeed,
filler info is more needed than anything else. There it was, but
reception was so noisy I couldn't  really follow it, despite Shepherd's
ranting -- no soft-spoken storytelling here. Turned out to be a WOR [the
other one] aircheck from the 1960s, as Richard Nixon was referred to as
"former Vice President" (tho if one disapproved of him while President
might well be  identified thus). Around 2102-2107 we had full ID for WOR
AM and FM, New York, commercials, a period newscast, and back to more
Shepherd, tho J.S. was supposed to be on at "4:30-5" Eastern. Never
heard a WBCQ ID. Finally at 2118 Gary Bourgois wrapped it up for WBCQ on
his satellite feed from Marquette (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 985 )

USA- Re the net on 7450 that you reported in your latest SW/DX Report,
that's a RACES (radio amateur civil emergency service) net located in
Arizona. It sounds like a ham net because they are hams. Like most HF
net operation, it's a "closed shop" of people who have known each other
forever. (Harry Helms, CA via Hauser/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-17,
April 9 / Shepherd, tho J.S. was supposed to be on at "4:30-5" Eastern.
Never heard a WBCQ ID. Finally at 2118 Gary Bourgois wrapped it up for
WBCQ on his satellite feed from Marquette (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO 985)

VIETNAM- New frequencies for VoV broadcasts direct from Hanoi. 13740 kHz
and 9730 kHz replacing 12020 and 9840. Heard in English for Europe 1800,
1900 and 2030 UT. Good signals on 13740 but severe heterodyne on 9730.
(Alan Holder, Isle of Wight, April 6 via Hauser/ GH SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT
99-17, April 9)

---------------------------
DX PROGRAMS
---------------------------

DXING WITH CUMBRE :  WHRI ANGEL I (Americas/Caribbean) Sat 0500 7315 ---
Sat 0730 7315 --- Sat 2230 9495 --- WHRI  ANGEL II
(Eur/Mideast/Afr/Rus/N Am) Sat 0500 5745 (used for all Cumbre
transmissions on Angel II) Sat 0730,  Sun 0300,  Sun 2300  --- KWHR
ANGEL III (Asia) Sat 0230 17510 --- Sat 0600 17780 --- Sun 0600
17780 --- Sun 1830 17510 --- KWHR ANGEL IV (South Pacific) Sat 0800
11565 (all Angel IV transmissions of Cumbre are on this fqy) Sun 1030,
Sun 1300 --- WHRA ANGEL V  (Africa/Mideast) (may also be audible for
many WHRI listeners) Fri 2200 17650 (corrected frequency) --- Sat 2230
17650 (corrected  frequency) --- The program may be heard on Real Audio
whenever it is on shortwave at the World Harvest website
<http://www.whr.org>. Also, it is audible on demand at the Cumbre DX
website <http://www.ralabs.com/cumbre>. The postal address for shortwave
reception reports: World Harvest Radio, P.O. Box 12, South Bend IN
46624, U.S.A. Thanks for listening and contributing (and correcting,
when needed), as always!  73--Marie Lamb, DXing with Cumbre

###