[HCDX]: Re: Special broadcast on 675 kHz

On 05/19/99 07:07:37 you wrote:

>I regualary note your loggings of European stations,- perhaps you could try
>to pick up the special broadcast on 675 kHz from the new transmitter at
>Röst in northern Norway.  This replace the old unit at Bodö on same
>channel.  On May 21st beween 2000 and 2400 UTC a special programme in
>english and norwegian will be aired exclusivly by this new transmitter to
>mark this event and give DX-ers a possibility of receiving a verification
>of this new transmitter.
>
>Power will be 20 kW (later to be reduced to the listed 10 kW).  A 24 hour
>test of the transmitter last week shows increase in signal levels, and
>still if the midnight sun is just about to cover the area, I think it could
>be possible to have transatlantic DX.....
>
>Best of luck!
>
>Bernt

2400 (0000) UTC is a too early here for northern Europe at
this time of year, especially on the low end of the dial.
About all that can be heard well then (local sunset) would
be Spain and North Africa.  UK starts showing up about an
hour later.  Scandinavian MW reception is almost non-existent
here in May, June, and July.  Also, 675 is a tough channel
with local WRKO-680 (50 kW) next to it.  I do get Netherlands
occasionally on 675 at seashore sites not far from here.
>From September on into the winter, northern European MW
reception gets much better.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA