[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX 99-25

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-25, June 10, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be rendered at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 992: see topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor992.html

ANTARCTICA. I received a nice full-data, signed QSL card and form
letter from LRA36. The cover even had penguin stamps and a station
cachet postmark.

The schedule is listed as M-F 1800-2100 UT, Sa/Su 1700-1900 UT.
However, yesterday (Sunday 6/6) I tuned by and found them up at 2215
with a soccer game relay (same one being carried by RAE-15345),
announcements and ID at 2220, then open carrier to 2236 off. This is a
good reason to check for extended ops on weekends. (John Cobb, GA,
WORLD OF RADIO 992)

CHINA. Whilst visions of list-logging the defunct New Caledonia
flitted through my mind, one of the better signals on 41m at 1115
June 9 on 7170 had a woman speaking Esperante. I'd still need better
reception and some vocabulary work to comprehend it better, but a
few tips on recognizing this distinctive artificial language:
stress is always penultimate, including words ending in -ia such as
"internacia"; definite article is "la" and there is no gender, whilst
nouns following always end in -o, which grates at first on Romance-
trained ears. Frequently-heard words: "kaj" for and, "La Usono" for
USA. Adverbs end in -e, and as indicated above the very word for
the language is considered an adverb when combined with "speaking",
literally "speaking Esperantly" (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

COSTA RICA. RFPI has two new volunteers who will be here for a year;
along with IPC students they have started the Progressive News
show. The new VISTA will be out in a couple weeks but the new quarter
sked is already on the website, which includes more and more audio of
RFPI-produced programs including the News uploaded by 2300 weekdays
-- http://www.rfpi.org/webcast.html (RPFI Mailbag June 5 via Hauser)

JAPAN. R. Japan's so-called NAm service relay via Canada on 6120 at
1100 is useless here, as checked June 7, weak and buried in Chinese
interference; but 15590, site? which I heard first with 1105 news of
crested ibis press appearance is quite good, tho for elsewhere. 1110,
news headlines quoted from other Asian stations, Asian Top News, i.e.
RKI, VOV, CRI, R. Malaysia, SLBC, RCS, Radio MCOT -- The Mass
Communication Organization of Thailand [what's this -- same as R.
Thailand?]. 6120 a satellite delay behind.

BTW, this Japanese announcer like so many everywhere converts Sri as
in Lanka almost into Sir, in apparent difficulty pronouncing the
combination Shree -- but what's difficult about it? There are already
English words with this cluster, such as shriek, Shreveport (Glenn
Hauser, OK)

MEXICO. XERMX April-October 1999 program schedule on .to website
unseems textavailable, so whilst waiting for some slow E-mail to
download I jotted down all the times I could spot for their media
programmes; hope I have got all the UT days correct; on 9705, and
Hans Johnson says 5985 is back; I have no idea which airings of
the week are actually the first:

Radio Correo del Aire: Sat 0100, 1300, Sun 1800, Thu 0100

Estacion DX: Sat 2000, Sun 1200, Mon 0200, Thu 0200

Mail Box: Wed 0400, 1500, Sat 0400, Sun 1500

DXperience: Sun 0300, 2300, Tue 1300, Thu 1500 (Glenn Hauser, June 5,
WORLD OF RADIO 992)

NEW ZEALAND. RNZI started to air "Eureka!" at UT 0704 on 11905. The
host, who had an American accent, seemed to call it "Zeureka". After a
lineup of the program items, it was time for the freq change to 9700.
At 0706, 9700 started up with "Cadenza", with music by English
composers. RNZI must have waited until the freq shift to change the
network feed. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., June 7, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

NIGERIA [non]. The SENTECH schedule you published last week showed 6205
and 11560 1900-2000 from the WRN studios as deleted. These are the
Radio Kurdirat freq. However the stn is still on the air, noted again
5th June with good signals on both freqs. (Mike Barraclough-UK, Jun 5,
BC-DX, WORLD OF RADIO 992)

SERBIA. Subject: Re Stubline WOR 991

Glenn, your report [from Electronic DX Press] about Bijeljina being
used for the RTS domestic service is wrong. BBCM heard 7200 go off the
air at the precise moment that the Stubline site was bombed at 1108 UT
on 25th May - and the RTS domestic service has not been subsequently
been heard on shortwave at all. Hope this clarifies the situation.
Regards, (Dave Kenny (BBCM) June 7)

SWEDEN. Subject: Arne Skoog is gone

Radio Sweden is sorry to tell the DX community that Arne Skoog, the
founder of Sweden Calling DXers, and a key figure in the founding of
the Swedish DX Federation and the European DX Council, passed away on
Monday June 7. Arne was 86. The June 15 edition of MediaScan (the
successor to Sweden Calling DXers) will be a tribute to Arne Skoog.
(George Wood, R. Sweden, June 9, WORLD OF RADIO 992)

This is very sad; his was the first DX bulletin I recall being
involved in back in the late 50s, early 60s (Glenn Hauser)

UKRAINE. 9560, RUI, June 5 0000-0058: English news, commentary, local
pops, choral church music. Fair. Much weaker on //5905, 6020. Don't
recall 9560 being audible before; 9560 covered by R. Budapest *0058
(Brian Alexander, PA, WOLD OF RADIO 992)

U S A. Those concerned about the once mediocre WRNO should note some
B.S. weak with breakups on 7395 at 1110 check June 9, //WWCR 7435,
presumably this (Glenn Hauser, OK)                               ###