[HCDX]: RE: hard-core-dx V4 #1015 - EC-130

[HCDX]: RE: hard-core-dx V4 #1015 - EC-130

> >On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 06:55:53 +0200 "Karel Honzik" <karel.honzik@xxxxxx>
> >writes:
> >>Last night (June 8, 1999) I heard the ALLIED VOICE (from the EC-130
> >>aircraft
> >>for Yugoslav people) on a new frequency of 1270 kHz from 2153 UTC tune
> >>in
> >>untill 2200 UTC sign off.
> >>
> >>Why do not they use the european channel of 1269 kHz ? It is strange
> >>
> >>Karel Honzik
> >>the Czech Republic
> >>---------------------------------
> >Because American Equipment is on the 10- kHz channels.
> >They always do that, they don't worry about hets.
> >73s,
> >Kale

	[Bob Foxworth]
	Two years ago, Terry Krueger, David Crawford and myself toured the
inside of one of the EC-130 type flying transmitter aircraft, which was
staffed by crew, one of whom had been involved with Spice Island Radio,
Grenada 990 kHz back in the 80's invasion days. I was one of the few US
DXers who heard them, from Long Island, before they became land-based... The
aircraft we saw was on exhibit at the AirFest '97 at MacDill AFB here in
Tampa which was open to the public, and contained high power AM FM and TV
capability, nominal 10 kW. No photographs permitted inside the aircraft.
>From what I saw of the AM synthesizer console, they could transmit anywhere
they chose, to 10 Hertz res. So the thought I have, is that the use of 1270
and not 1269 was made for reasons other than technical capability. This type
aircraft has not been back for the more recent two air shows unfortunately.