Re: [HCDX]: Back lobe antennas?

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 00:11:38 +0200 Alf Aardal <alfardal@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

>Could anybody tell me if they are using back-lobe antennas...by other
>words,antennas pointing in the opposite direction (long path)....how
>do they perform?
>
>Anybody using termination resistors on these antennas?

Beverage antennas? Is that the same as a back lobe antenna?

I have on rare occasion used them and if you can get them longer than
305m they begin to work at 500m they start getting real nice and at 1000m
they are AWESOME. Keep them as straight as you can and as level as
possible. Put a 600 ohm resistor on the grounded end and keep playing
with it until you get max signal. Every beverage has a different
resistance/impedance so you just have to play with it until you get it
right.

I don't have one up right now. I have a 70m zepp antenna up. I don't have
the massive real estate it takes for a beverage. I do put them up with I
go up into the mountains at 2500m and also when I go out into the desert.
If you are doing them in the desert, bring about 10 gallons of water and
let it soak into the ground with some holes in the water bucket the day
before. Then ram in the ground rod when the earth is soaked. The
beverages really like soils that are dry and have poor conductivity.

Good luck on the antennas. They are very directional and work much like a
yagi on FM/VHF/UKW or whatever you Europeans call it.

Let us know how it works out.

Ragnar
Mesa, Arizona