[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX Report 99-29

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-29, July 8, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

NEW WORLD OF RADIO TIME ON WWCR: Saturday 1930 on 12160, per July sked.

NEW CONTINENT OF MEDIA TIME ON RFPI: Wednesday 1730 on 15049, 21460-USB;
may or may not be repeated Thursday 0130 also on 6975; 0930 on 15049.

CONTINENT OF MEDIA ON THE WEB. The latest edition, 99-04 is at
http://www.DXing.com  Previous editions 99-03, 99-02 and 99-01, as
well as the lastest MUNDO RADIAL, are now available from RFPI at:
http://www.rfpi.org/webcast.html

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 995: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor995.html

** CANADA. CBC has resumed summer fillers after only one hour of
As It Happens; Weds with Connexions, best documentaries from other
stations. July 7 it was about game-shooting from BBC; next week:
Camel-lot Australian style, about the feral Dromedaries there. On
RCI at 2330 on 13670, etc. Check out other days of the week too (Glenn
Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** IRELAND [non]. RTE's daily news bulletin on short-wave has been
extended to Central America on 6155 kHz at 0130 UTC/GMT. [transmitter
site?? -gh]  The frequency for Africa has been changed to 21630 kHz at
1830 UTC/ GMT. [has been Ascension -gh] Services to N America on 12160
kHz (at 1830 UTC/GMT) and to SE Asia, including Australia on 11740 kHz
(at 1000 UTC/GMT) continue unchanged. [WWCR and Merlin/Singapore,
respectively -gh] Depending on conditions these frequencies should be
receivable beyond the target areas. (J. Hayde, RTE, June 30, WORLD OF
RADIO 995)

** U S A. CLASSICAL IN DENVER. I found myself recently within the
coverage area of 1280. It's not as big as KOA, but extends further
eastward into the plains than the typical Denver FM station; westward,
neither AM nor FM from Denver is worth a damn except for KOA 850 and
below. (Strangely, KLZ-560 is much weaker than KHOW-630 tho both are
5 kW.) Typical ID in passing on 1280 is "KVOD 1280". But legal ID on
the hour is "KVOD 1280, KEXX Denver". So "KVOD" is not really 1280's
callsign, but hey, why let that stop them? You can't hear the quotation
marks spoken. Print ads, beyond FCC jurisdiction, say nothing about KEXX.
Format is not as bad as I feared; the commercial load seems a lot less
than some other ilkmates, such as KCFM 94.1 Okmulgee-Tulsa. In evening
drive time, I even heard "KVOD" playing a 25-minute piece. Did brief
traffic reports, but no news on the hour. Music announcers seemed to be
local, buy one can easily be fooled. One promo I heard evoked KVOD
"founders" Gene Amole, Ed Koepke, and John Wolfe, for whom I worked
on Ruby Hill at KDEN-FM in 1969 (from whose studios I witnessed the
first moon landing on my portabled TV) shortly before calls were
changed, and when it was on 99.5 FM. No way for me to tell if 1280 is AM
stereo, but I heard no mention of such. See http://www.kvod.com (NOT
kexx.com!)

Meanwhile, there IS plenty of classical on FM, as that is KCFR 90.1's
primary format, with only the biggie news shows of NPR carried. See
http://www.cpr.org Coverage map shows its empire-building is far from
completely covering Colorado.

PUBLIC TELEVISION IN COLORADO. Meanwhile, I saw a Pueblo Chieftain
newspaper story that PBS there, KTSC-8, is "merging" with KRMA-6 in
Denver. Many cable systems carry both, but programming is gradually
being moved to simultaneity making this pointless, and offering viewers
less choice. I'll bet 8 will amount to no more than a satellite of 6.
KRMA's subcarrier has, part of the time, an undermodulated radio
reading service - but cable systems elsewhere in the state, taking
the KRMA satellite feed, don't bother with the SAP.

Denver is fortunate to have a second PBS channel, KBDI-12, which,
however, doesn't seem to be on cable systems beyond the local area.
My first chance to watch BBC World news, at 10 pm, evidently delayed
from earlier? They were careful not to give any specific time references
in "live" report from Northern Ireland on peace negotiations which went
late into the night. This story dominated the half-hour for more than
half of the time, making one wonder how "world" orientated this service
really be. Concludes with interesting but brief world weather summary,
giving F in USA, C elsewhere. Even on The Weather Channel, I think it's
a rarity to even have any inkling of where it's likely to rain in Africa
and the temperature range there. KBDI's own graphics were full of
embarrassing misspellings, making it clear that "educational" is not the
right word for this station (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

** U S A [non]. TWR expands MW broadcasts via Moldova; Burkina SW site
planned

The US-based international Christian broadcaster Trans World Radio (TWR)
has announced that from 2nd August it will start hiring airtime on a
1000 kW mediumwave transmitter in Grigoriopol', Moldova. It will be used
mainly for broadcasting to the Balkans [no frequency given, of course].

As part of a joint project with HCJB, Trans World Radio is also seeking
permission to set up a new shortwave transmission facility in Burkina
Faso which would improve reception in West Africa. An HCJB supporter has
already donated funds for a 100-kW transmitter. (TWR North Carolina
June 30 via BBC Monitoring, exerpted for WORLD OF RADIO 995)

** YUGOSLAVIA. Hot news: R. Yugoslavia's NAm service is back, heard
UT Wed July 7 at 0000 on 9580 in English, and on //11850 but the
latter is mixed with China (Mali?) in Portuguese (Joe Hanlon, PA,
WORLD OF RADIO 995)

We were hearing it too, but 11850 was not among the frequencies listed
at the beginning. Same old same old soporific style but nice jingles.
Also found English back at 0430 on same two, but this time 11850 was
clear, 9580 weaker and side-splashed (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)                                      ###