[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX Report 99-32

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 99-32, July 27, 1999

{Items from this and all our reports may be reproduced and re-
reproduced only providing full credit be maintained at all stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 998. See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor998.html

CONTINENT OF MEDIA 9905. New edition is now up at http://www.DXing.com
and soon on RFPI, exclusive SW outlet

** ARGENTINA. "FM Shalom 107.1," Mendoza, audible on 4880.6v all night
or from before 0800 on 7 of the 31 mornings in May, and also heard
one evening on 4881.0v. Continuous sermons and evangelical music side-
by-side, ads for evangelical bookstores in the vicinity of Mendoza
(Emilio Pedro Povrzenic, Rosario, May Latinoamerica DX via Radio
Nuevo Mundo, report translated and interpreted by Hauser, WORLD OF
RADIO 998)

My guess is that this was actually third harmonic of 1627 or so (gh)

** CHILE. Voz Cristiana has been audible since June 6 on 5675, //6070
in the daytime (Emilio P. Povrzenic, Rosario, Argentina, Latinoamerica
DX via Radio Nuevo Mundo) 6070 plus 5675 equals 11745, which I think
is another VC frequency, so this would be a difference mixing product
(Hauser)

** COSTA RICA. Paz the cat, RFPI's mascot, has been spending more time
in the wild lately; upon a recent visit appeared to have been injured,
perhaps by a coyote in the area (James Latham, RFPI Mailbag July 23
via Hauser)

** COSTA RICA. More from the current RFPI Mailbag, with James Latham,
and Ash, student who is about to depart after a 6-month stint. Due
to electrical storms blowing out equipment, RFPI is in need of modems
and computers, especially for the Progressive News Network people,
who make heavy use of them in gathering stories. If you have a
discarded modem, a 28 or 14, and outboard/universal ones work best,
RFPI would like to have it as backup, and you could get a tax write-
off. Could also use older computers, such as IBM 200 to 500 MHz.
Contact the Oregon office first, P O Box 20728, Portland, OR 97220;
or direct to CR info@xxxxxxxx (via Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

** COSTA RICA. RFPI's goals include increasing the ease of reception
around the globe with the addition of 6 separate 100 kW transmitters,
expanding the languages of broadcast, providing live interactive audio
streaming on the internet, and expanding the tape distribution of
programs produced by RFPI. The addition of a dedicated, continuous UN
broadcast presence on shortwave, or UN channel, is seen as another key
area for development (RFPI Vista, June-August via WORLD OF RADIO 998)

** GUATEMALA. R. Tezulutlan, Coban 4835.0, new schedule since May 21,
*1030v, ex-1100, and two days at 1000 (Emilio Pedro Povrzenic, Rosario,
Argentina, Latinoamerica DX May via Radio Nuevo Mundo via Hauser)

** NAMIBIA. 3270 - NBC was inactive for nearly 2 months; is back on the
air, good reception at 00.30 as well as on 3290 July 21. (Mahendra
Vaghjee, Mauritius, WORLD OF RADIO 998)

** SERBIA. As Karel Honzik pointed out, "Milosevic" keeps getting mis-
pronounced by American newscasters. They think they've got it licked
by making the -c correctly a "ch" sound, instead of a -k -- but the "s"
is pronounced "sh". Since his name is originally spelt with Serbian/
Cyrillic letters, we wonder why it was not transliterated correctly in
the first place! Such transliterations should be phonetic; there is no
excuse for making the spelling and pronunciation any more confusing
than necessary. So it should be spelt in Roman/English: MILOSHEVITCH.
Pronouncing his name correctly is the only courtesy this SOB deserves
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** TAIWAN. Thursday 22nd July 1999

MERLIN COMMUNICATIONS INTERNATIONAL LIMITED SIGNS EXCLUSIVE AGREEMENT
WITH THE CENTRAL BROADCASTING SYSTEM OF TAIWAN

On Tuesday 13th July 1999 in Taipei, Taiwan, Merlin Communications
International Limited signed an exclusive agreement with the Central
Broadcasting System of Taiwan to market and broker its facilities
globally. Merlin already has an exchange agreement with CBS where air
time is exchanged between Taiwan and the UK. However, this agreement
means that Merlin has the exclusive right to market CBS' extensive
facilities around the world.

CBS has some 41 transmitters, both short and medium wave, based in
Taiwan with excellent services into all the Asia Pacific regions.

CBS and Radio Taipei International programmes are broadcast via a
transmission system connecting the South and North of Taiwan. CBS own
nine transmission sites across Taiwan, with sixteen medium wave
transmitters and twenty five shortwave transmitters which transmit
programming into Indo-China, Mainland China and all over the Asia
Pacific region. (Merlin Communications website via Hauser, REVIEW
OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

I wasn't aware CBS had ANY facilities outside Taiwan -- at least not
transmitters. See also the related story under USA [non] below! I
think the following story is saying that CSPS will no longer use
KHBI, and in effect is being replaced by CBS facilities -- NOT that
Saipan station ownership will be taken over by Merlin from RFA in
August! But R. Taipei Int'l (never mentioned by this name) will get
relays into Europe from UKOGBANI. Haven't the Chinese people enough
problems -- and religions -- already without being bombarded with
wacky CS propaganda? Why should Merlin care? (Hauser)

** U S A [non]. Thursday 22nd July 1999

MERLIN COMMUNICATIONS SIGNS EXCHANGE SHORTWAVE DEAL WITH HERALD
BROADCASTING SYNDICATE, Inc & CENTRAL BROADCASTING SYSTEM OF TAIWAN

Merlin Communications International is pleased to announce the signing
of a one year contract with Herald Broadcasting Syndicate Inc. (HBS) to
provide shortwave audio transmission of The Christian Science
Publishing Society's (TCSPS) programmes into South China, Beijing and
India for three hours a day. The deal is part of an exchange with
Central Broadcasting System of Taiwan (CBS), the major broadcaster in
Taiwan.

Herald programming will be transferred via the internet from TCSPS's
studios in Boston, USA, to Merlin's London control centre at Bush
House. The signal will then be uplinked via Merlin's GDS satellite onto
CBS' transmitter in Taipei for rebroadcast into Asia and India. "We
look forward to a long, successful relationship with Merlin in
broadcasting in the Pacific Rim," says Catherine Aitken-Smith,
Director, International Broadcasting for HBS.

Three hours of CBS programming in English, German and Mandarin will be
transferred from their studio in Taiwan via the internet into the
Merlin London Control Centre and then onto Merlin's GDS satellite. The
shortwave signal will then be transmitted from Merlin's site in
Cumbria, in the North West of England into Western Europe, Germany and
Eastern Europe.

HBS broadcasts from the island of Saipan on a shortwave
station owned by Radio Free Asia until August of 1999, when Merlin
Communications will take over these broadcasts.

Merlin has conducted business in over 100 countries worldwide and
transmits over 1000 hours of both short and medium wave per day.
Outside the UK staff are permanently located in Ascension Island,
Antigua, Cyprus, Oman, Seychelles, Singapore and Thailand. (Merlin
Communications website July 22 via Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

** U S A. In the last few minutes of AWWW July 24 on WBCQ, Al said
there is a new "hacker's program" Tuesday 8 pm EDT or UT Wed 0000,
a telecommunications info program, "Off the Hook" which we will really
like. He loves having Brother Stair take up any vacant times, including
M-F 5-5:30 pm, I thought he said, but I hope this was a slip and World
of Radio is not affected Wed (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 998)

** U S A. Glenn, Here's an AFN, 12689.5 USB program for your
compilation:

 Car Talk - NPR program heard from 0925 to end at 1000 on Sunday
 morning with a statement this is NPR Worldwide for the Armed Forces
 Network. I assume it started at 0900 UTC. (Pete Costello, July 25,
 REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** U S A. Not only did WRMI 7465 run Viva Miami at 0400 UT Sunday
July 25, but followed it with another airing of AWR Wavescan at 0430.
This was No. 234 for Father's Day, June 20. BTW, Wavescan spelt
backwards is Nacsevaw (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

** U S A. Bandscanning on the ICF-5900W July 26, came across strong
signal of R. Marti on 19610 at 1137; deep fades to nothing, and very
strong peaks, as if sporadic E opening from Greenville, which, however
had not reached TV frequencies. This quickly proved to be 2 x 9805,
a frequency not in the original A99 IBB schedule, which was also
very strong, and one must carefully suspect the possibility of inside-
receiver production rather than propagation. After 1200 I was also
getting V. of Greece on 19380 = 2 x 9690 in similar circumstances, as
well as the sum of the two on 19495. And on the ATS-909, I checked
the third harmonics and there were VOG on 29070, RM on 29415 (Glenn
Hauser, OK, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

** U S A. 87.9 IS BACK IN WAUKEGAN

Tonight about 7:50 PM local time, I noticed a signal on 87.9 FM again.
This time I recognized the language as Spanish. I'm not very fluent in
Spanish, but I was able to pick out some things.

The station is surely here in Waukegan, operating with very low power.
It was inaudible on most of my radios. I got out my powerhouse
receivers (ATS-818 &, surprisingly the DX 375. They're both great FM
sets.)

Their signal was in stereo, with separation. There was interference
from Milwaukee's channel 6's audio. Their slogan translates as "Super
radio 87.9 FM stereo, La musica" There were very slickly produced
commercials for an auto repair shop, a supermarket, & a stereo sore
called "Stereo Plus", all in Waukegan. The one for the stereo store
ended with a nice stereo reverb.

The fact that they are in stereo, & their heavy production commercials
makes me wonder. I don't know of any new FMs licensed for this area,
so why the odd frequency? Do pirates go to such lengths?

(Peter Atkinson, Waukegan, IL, July 22, WORLD OF RADIO 998)

** VENEZUELA. R. Amazonas, Puerto Ayacucho, 4939.5, heard on 10 of
the 31 mornings in May from 0900v, four days from 0930, and one day
from 1000. During April there were two Venezuelans audible instead of
just this one as Mr. Johnson reported in Cumbre DX quoted by gh on
Radio Enlace May 7. The other was Ecos del Torbes, which was audible
only in the daytime until April 19, and at night until April 21
(Emilio Pedro Povrzenic, Rosario, Argentina, May Latinoamerica DX
via Radio Nuevo Mundo, translated by Glenn Hauser)

EPP never misses a day monitoring, for the past 3987 days, and
publishes extensive statistical analyses of LA station monitoring,
audibility, both long- and short-term; I've never seen anything quite
like what he does, elsewhere. No E-mail, apparently (Hauser)     ###